Are You On The Piss To Much And Wanna Cut Down?

12call

350torana said

But now, drink beer everyday, average about 3, 630ml bottles of Singha a night.

is that three thousand, six hundred and thirty bottles of Singha every night? :o

Meemiathai, the reference to my elbow is from a recent post in the Health forum. Exercising too much can also have bad side-effects, and I am suffering with an inflamed elbow (bursitis).

It's very easy to say you don't have a drink problem, because you don't consider yourself to be an alcoholic, or craving for a drink all the time etc. But if it is affecting your physical health, (such as obesity etc), then I'd say that drink is a problem for you

I decline to make any comments on this thread on the advice of my legal representative.
:o Your avatar says it all!

Personally makes me want to throw up. Nothing personal Jayenram, but I just hate the taste of that stuff. It has been a few years since I had one. Actually, I have never had only one. I used to buy 4 big bottles for 99 baht, to get ready to go out and drink seriously. Never bought it for the taste!

*A 12 oz bottle of beer has around 100 calories*

(you burn off 56 calories during a 1 km jog)

Lets' say you have 6 beers,

it would take you ..(6 beers X 100 calories= 600 calories)

(600/56calories-km=10.71km) 11km run to burn the calories off! 

If worrying about calories is the only worry you have then you are a lot luckier than those who have much much larger problems to worry about due to drink.

If hangovers are your only worry - drink an equal amount of water as you do beer, or more.

And if you stop you loose all these privillages - -

WARNING:

Some of the language in this section is unavoidably colorful to say the least. If you are offended by such language you can hit the "Back" button on your browser.

Bait-and-Switch (verb) - A term coined (rather, borrowed) by Kurt. Perhaps the most insidious bar trick of all. It seems to belong exclusively to women, although I'm not sure why. The point is for a pretty woman to help her less-attractive friend to talk to the man that she wishes to talk with. The pretty woman lures the man in question to the table/barstool, and then suddenly excuses herself, leaving the man alone with the plainer friend. (U.S. from Joan). Aust equivalents are called - the Wingman, Run the assist, the set up.

Bedspins (noun) - A peculiar variety of spins that occur when lying prone. Putting one foot on the floor usually helps. If you are already on the floor, may God have mercy on your soul. (U.S. from Joan)

Beer Goggling (verb) - Describes a phenomenon that occurs when one consumes enough alcohol to alter one's perception of beauty, taste, and aesthetics. Complete boors turn into wonders of poetry and grace. Screeching shrews seem elflike and lovely. Otherwise reasonable men begin buying drinks for women that make Ricki Lake look like Marilyn Monroe. The inspiration behind the popular U.S./Budweiser tee shirt, "Friends Don't Let Friends Beer Goggle." Noun - Beer Goggles (Intl. from Joan)

Blotto (adj.) - Could possibly have been derived from the term "blurred" as in

blurred vision. No quite ratarsed but well on the way. (Aust. from Glen

Blow Chunks (verb) - See hurl

Booze (noun) - Can be used to describe any form of alcohol but is generally reserved for low grade swill such as Fosters, Hahn Ice or any cheap rum. (Intl. from Glen).

Buzzed (adj.) - Describes several sub-levels of mild intoxication. Getting and maintaining the buzz is the goal of many social drinkers and party-goers. Get [got, gonna get] my buzz on is a fragmentary statement often uttered by the skater/alternative/hardcore set as both a desire and a process. (U.S. from Joan)

Buzzkill (noun) - That which destroys the buzz. Examples of buzzkills would be fights with one's significant other while at the pub (particularly if one's friends are looking on with a mixture of disgust and resentment), boring people who insist on talking to you at the pub, your best friend admitting that he/she is sleeping with your significant other, horrible music after you've just heard three of your favorite songs in a row, discovering that you actually have about half of the money that you thought you had at the beginning of the evening, and barroom brawls. The only remedy for a buzzkill? Drink more beer. (U.S. from Joan)

Cooter Brown (noun)-- a drunkard of legendary proportions whose intake of alcoholic librations set a standard against which all drunks became forever measured; i.e., "drunker than Cooter Brown." (U.S. from Deebee1040)

Do shots (verb) - This is how people in the U.S. achieve their deserved drunken-hick stereotype. Shot glasses of spirits are downed in combination with beer, in one gulp. This is why it is referred to as "doing" a shot rather than "having" a shot. Sipping is definitely not part of the equation. (U.S. from Joan)

Drunk (adj.) - Intoxicated. Can refer to various levels, from feeling pleasantly gregarious to Projectile vomiting. Unlike the English, we do not use this term as a past tense of "drink", as in his beer was quickly drunk. We feel that this would only confuse the issue. Besides, how can a beer be drunk? That's like saying that a cup of coffee felt jittery. eg. "Drunk as a skunk", blind drunk, noun - drunk - one who is often drunk. (Intl.. from Joan)

Foster's Flop (noun - or lack of verb as it were) - Affects the male of the species when over-consumption and female company both occur on the same night. Also see ratarsed. (Aust. from Muzza)

F**ked up (adj.) - The Granddaddy of all drunks. The realization of this state generally occurs during the long and incomprehensible walk home. Parts of this journey generally remain shrouded in mystery forever. The walls, ground, and the very sky take on a circling, rotating quality (see spins, below.) (Intl. from Joan)

Hangover (noun) - The foglike result of the over-consumption of sparkling malt beverages on the previous night. No known cure, although many have tried. The best solution seems to be to take a couple of aspirin and grit your teeth. That saying about the hair of the dog curing its bite is a load of excrement. It only leads to a prolonged hangover. (Intl. from Joan)

Hammered (adj.) - Describes the feeling of extreme illness associated with over-consumption and is intensified if you happen to find yourself in a decent "knuckle" during the night.

Hair of the Dog (adj) - Describes of the process of consumption to cure the effects of over-consumption. Has shit-all effect and will most likely lead to spurts of projective vomiting. (Intl. from Glen).

Hooking up - Behavior generally observed in pubs beginning about an hour and a half before last call and lasting until they turn on the lights. Couples begin to pair off and wander outside. Public display of affection generally begins to occur both within and without the pub. Many times observed between people who were complete strangers until a couple of hours ago. Usually involves one of the parties glancing furtively (well, as furtively as one can when completely shitfaced) about in hopes of not being busted by his or her significant other, or more likely, by the friends of one's significant other. Will most likely end in whiskey dick/Foster's Flop. (Intl. from Joan)

Housed (adj.) - Moderately drunk. Beginning to stumble. This term is particularly popular with people who listen to the Grateful Dead and smoke large amounts of pot. (U.S. from Joan)

Hurl (verb) - (hurled, to hurl, I'm gonna hurl, etc.): To vomit. My jibe to my Irish friends is that they excel at hurling, both on the pitch and off. Refers to the adamant and projectile nature of drunken vomiting. Hurled (adv.), I'm gonna hurl, to hurl etc. (Intl. from Joan)

Gutter Hugger (noun) ie. To hug the gutter. The process of emptying the contents of your stomach into a gutter, or the nearest bin/trash can. (Aust. from Timo)

Legless (adj.) - common term used to describe the "beer wobbles" or the general feeling in instability caused by over consumption. (Intl. from Glen)

Piss (noun) - interesting term that can simply describe any form of alcohol (Aust.) or more commonly can be used to describe poor quality beer (ie. this is piss!). (Intl. from Glen)

Pissed (adj.) - general drunkenness. Context - "you're pissed", "oh shit I'm pissed", "I'll have a schooner of XXXX, god I'm pissed" etc. etc. (Aust. from Glen)

Piss-up (noun) - the process of gathering fellow beer swilling individuals to Suck piss (see below). This may be formal or informal, have a particular reason, or be simply gratuitous. Successful piss-ups end in a different location to which they started, possibly the watchhouse. (Aust. from Glen)

Pound (verb) A verb describing the act of drinking rapidly and in succession. Pounding a beverage is likely to result in conditions such as Foster's Flop/Whiskey Dick. (U.S. from Joan)

Ratarsed (adj) "Rat-arsed" - Basically, this is a state of extreme drunkenness. You experience feelings of - well you don't feel anything, you don't know who or where you are. At this stage you are unconsciously wishing that someone will take you home - From a male perspective, if this someone happens to be female have a note prepared saying that you don't want anything, just somewhere to sleep. This can save the male species from the embarrassment of what is described as Foster's Flop - the greatest side-effect of being ratarsed. (Aust. from Glen)

Shitfaced (adj.) - Pretty drunk. Most likely one has vomited at least once. One's vocabulary has grown a little thick. Fine motor skills, such as handwriting, are beginning to go to ###### in a handbasket. Completely shitfaced A finer shade of shitfaced. All of the above conditions apply, with the tendency to deem those who resemble Quasimodo as rather attractive (see beer goggling). (Intl. from Joan)

Spew (verb) - See blow chunks.

Spins (noun) - The sensation that all material planes about you are engaged in constant, whirling motion, leaving you no solid ground upon which to stand. Generally produces a feeling of profound nausea. (U.S. from Joan)

Staggering (verb) - The process of attempting to gain mobility while heavily under influence. Example include - staggering towards the bar, staggering towards home, staggering on the hood of a taxi.

Suck Piss (verb)- Any activity that involves drinking. Introduced to me by my drinking buddy, Matt, this term requires no explanation of context as it has none. Simply, if you know someone familiar with this term, you phone them, or email them, say/type "suck piss", and hey presto, you're on the train ready for anything from a quiet one (one or two small drinks) to an extreme drinking binge. (Aust. from Matt)

Tipsy (adj.)- commonly used in the wine drinking arena and most commonly describes a female of the species under slight influence. Warning signs include extreme and uncharacteristic flirting, loudness of voice and irritating laughter. (Intl. from Glen)

Two Pot Screamer (noun) - A pot is approximately equivalent to half a pint and is the most commonly available glass size in Australia. If an individual shows signs of any of the terms listed above or below after 2-4 pots, they are referred to as a two pot screamer. If you are paying for the drinks, they make an excellent companion - good value all round. They get drunk before you do, so you can laugh at them, and the drinks won't cost all that much. (Aust. from Glen)

Under the Weather (adj.) - used to explain the effects similar to a hangover. (Aust. from Glen)

Wasted (adj.) - Involves repeated vomiting. Giving someone your phone number is out of the question, as you became incapable of writing back during the completely shitfaced phase. The floor has developed an annoying habit of shifting backward and immediately jerking sharply upward when you attempt to descend from your barstool to go to the bathroom to vomit. (Intl. from Joan)

Whiskey Dick (noun) - See Foster's Flop (U.S. from Joan)

Wrecked (adj.) - see as wasted. (Intl. from Glen)

SO ARE YOU AN ALCOHOLIC? ???

The sub-questions are designed to help shed light on the basic question. Read them only if necessary, but don't count them separately. What will eventually happen is that you will have a discussion with yourself; this is only an outline to give your conversation some constructive direction.

This survey was written by recovering people. They had the same questions while they were still drinking or using and probably came up with the same answers. They survived and so will you. But there needs to be a starting point, and question No. 1 is as good a place as any ...

1. Is there some particular reason why you are concerned about your drinking at this time?

Are you drinking more often that you used to, or greater quantities when you do drink?

Are you able to drink more without getting drunk?

Do you sometimes have the shakes or other discomfort the next morning, and does a pick-me-up drink help make you feel better?

2. Is one of the reasons for your concern the fact that some people are getting on your back about your drinking?

Do close friends say you are acting differently these days, or that you undergo some kind of personality change when you drink?

Are they suggesting that you cut down or cut it out?

3. Do you have other friends that you prefer to be around these days -- people who don't mind your drinking, or don't mention it?

Are these new friends that you've recently made?

Are they fairly good drinkers, also?

Do you have much else in common with them, or are drinking-related activities your main bond?

Do you tend to prefer social events where drinking is more readily available?

4. Have you had more than two or three memory lapses (called blackouts) in the past 90 days?

After an evening or other period of drinking, have you forgotten where you left your car?

Or how you got home?

Have you had to call someone the next day to fill you in on what you were doing the night before?

5. Do you sometimes regret things that you may have said or done while you were drinking?

Are you ever embarrassed to the extent that you want to avoid certain people, or going back to a place where you may have done some foolish things?

Do you wish that you could undo those things, or ever think that less drinking might help prevent them from happening again?

6. Do you drink more than the people you are with, or do you ever load up your drinks so others don't notice what you are doing?

Do you order or mix doubles for yourself while others are drinking singles?

Do you carry an extra supply with you in case the host runs out, or the bar closes before you are ready to quit?

Is there anything unusual about your drinking habits that might make other people wonder!

7. Have you gotten careless about things that used to be important to you, or have you dropped certain activities from your routine?

Do you spend less time with your children, spouse, or other family members than you used to?

Are you less interested in some of your former hobbies or sports or entertainment source?

Are you reducing outside activities that interfere with your drinking?

8. Have you tried or considered changing things in your life in order to get along better and eliminate some of the problems?

Have you thought of leaving your spouse, or the family, or going away for a while to give everybody a little extra space?

Have you thought about changing jobs, or maybe even moving to another part of the country where you could make a clean start, without the hassles and disadvantages from the past?

9. Do you ever wonder if some of the problems that may accompany your drinking would be lessened or go away, if you decided to stop entirely?

Are there family arguments that might not flare up so often?

Would work (or school) tardiness or absenteeism be somewhat improved?

Are there financial or business setbacks that could be reduced? Insurance problems? Checkbook or household budget balancing?

Difficulties in meeting obligations or paying back loans?

10. Have you ever promised yourself that you would really try to cut down on your drinking without quitting altogether?

Have you tried skipping certain nights of the week, or hours of the day, when you wouldn't drink at all?

Have you tried switching brands or type of alcohol in order to keep from getting so drunk or losing control so much?

Have you tried putting someone else in charge of your drinking to help you cut down?

11. Have you ever tried to quit -- totally -- and not been able to?

Have you ever set a date or duration when you would actually try to stop?

Were there reasons why the effort really never took hold, or the timing never seemed right?

Did your promise to quit seem less important when the deadline to quit rolled around?

Was it easier to continue drinking than to fight the situation, and are you still drinking at this time?

12. Was it difficult for you to make this self examination, and is this a subject you consider too personal to discuss with others?

Do you intentionally avoid discussions about your drinking or its complications?

Do you sometimes have your spouse or other persons intervene for you, or make excuses about your tardiness or other related problems?

SCORING

This is the simplest scoring system in the annals of do-it-yourself testing. Any "YES" answer to a main or sub-question has earned you membership in a not very exclusive population of several million people with drinking or drugging problems. The more "YES's" you toted up, the better off you are. Every "YES" you were able to mentally put down was a striking symbol of personal honesty. It meant that you have begun the process of self-realization -- a principle in which virtually all recovery problems are based. Without personal recognition of your condition, there can be no meaningful recovery.

If you will consider each "YES" to be a minor victory in this same sense, you might want to take the test again and see how many more "YES's" you can identify. The enemies of recovery are guilt, denial and alibis. The allies are acceptance, understanding and honesty.

If the results of the test suggest that you, or whoever you took the test for, are an alcoholic or other chemical dependent, congratulations. Now you're getting somewhere.

http://www.alcoholicsvictorious.org/am-i-alc.html

Good topic 12Call!

I certainly have had more than my fair share of drinking problems.

I have met a lot more alcoholics/heavy drinkers in Thailand than anywhere else in the world. If I could only help my Thai in-laws/work colleagues/friends to stop/cut down.

Alcohol abuse is very serious, and often fatal. I have absolutely no doubts that if I hadn't quit a few years back, I would be dead. Then again two bottles of Sang Thip a day(every day) or around 10 big Changs, would probably kill anyone after a number of years.

www.aathailand.org would seem the best place for advice. 

I've always gotten more out of drinking, than drinking has gotten out of me.

Churcill

Surely he would never have said 'gotten'!!

Winnie would never, ever, have said gotten. :D

Churcill might have though..... :o

Good topic 12Call!

Churcill

Winnie would never, ever, have said gotten. :D

Churcill might have though..... :o

Here is the correct quote... I called the man himself...

"I've always taken more out of drinking, than drinking has taken out of me."

Somebody else once said,

"I need to get out of these wet clothes, and get into a dry martini"

:D

Regards,

Good topic 12Call!

Churcill

Winnie would never, ever, have said gotten. :wub:

Churcill might have though..... :D

Here is the correct quote... I called the man himself...

"I've always taken more out of drinking, than drinking has taken out of me."

Somebody else once said,

"I need to get out of these wet clothes, and get into a dry martini"

-_-

Regards,

:D:o:D

Scotty, Please, Please Beam Him Up:-

medium.jpg

:D

Yes Mr 12Call, it is a good topic which concerns a lot of expats.

It is a pity to see how much talent gets lost.

Many expats live in their past because the present doesn't offer any challenge.

Like Arabs in Europe and Asians in Australia they constituate their own communities. There is very little assimilation into Thai society. Many live therefore under permanent stress.

The common denominator of the members of the foreign community seems to be a rather exagerated way of consuming alcoholic beverages.

I am not talking about the working class among them, but the retired section.

The retired section mostly retired here in Thailand because of the fact that it is easier to find a female partner in Thailand than in the home-country. They are too old, not handsome anymore and their often relative small pensions seem to have at least twice their value here.

In the beginning they feel like kings, many of them even develop a feeling of supremacy. They tell each other how intelligent they are by calling Thai people stupid etc etc etc. They look at each other, understand each other completely and raise their elbows.

They create a non-existing world in which they belong to the upper-class.

When they are sober during the morning hours they feel physically bad, nerveous and weak.

After some drinking they gain their superior position again, can discuss the worldpolitics again and can make fantastic jokes again. And the horrible thing is that they start to hire staff to do the garden, to clean the house, yes even to uphold a form of sexual activity.

Do it yourself lads! Try a little trip to a not far away place, where you, without loosing face, can walk and postpone your daily beer until the sun is gone!

It is actually rewarding. You become twice the person you are!

Yes Mr 12Call, it is a good topic which concerns a lot of expats.

It is a pity to see how much talent gets lost.

Many expats live in their past because the present doesn't offer any challenge.

Like Arabs in Europe and Asians in Australia they constituate their own communities. There is very little assimilation into Thai society. Many live therefore under permanent stress.

The common denominator of the members of the foreign community seems to be a rather exagerated way of consuming alcoholic beverages.

I am not talking about the working class among them, but the retired section.

The retired section mostly retired here in Thailand because of the fact that it is easier to find a female partner in Thailand than in the home-country. They are too old, not handsome anymore and their often relative small pensions seem to have at least twice their value here.

In the beginning they feel like kings, many of them even develop a feeling of supremacy. They tell each other how intelligent they are by calling Thai people stupid etc etc etc. They look at each other, understand each other completely and raise their elbows.

They create a non-existing world in which they belong to the upper-class.

When they are sober during the morning hours they feel physically bad, nerveous and weak.

After some drinking they gain their superior position again, can discuss the worldpolitics again and can make fantastic jokes again. And the horrible thing is that they start to hire staff to do the garden, to clean the house, yes even to uphold a form of sexual activity.

Do it yourself lads! Try a little trip to a not far away place, where you, without loosing face, can walk and postpone your daily beer until the sun is gone!

It is actually rewarding. You become twice the person you are!

Very well presented Limbo.Interesting nic though!!!

hi'

my 2b worth here ...

it's more than a serious thing ...

just a medical fact : over 3 daily drinks, you are damaging your health!

as far as I know, most of people I know drink far more than this ...(expats living in LOS for a while) ... :o

as some know already, I don't drink, I even stop to share a beer with my wife every now and then ... makes my blood far too hot for me :D

the drinking problem is more than a problem, I do think that it hides a bit more than just a bad habit ...

anything to deal that one have difficulties with?

addiction from alcohol is mind related before to become physical.

mind strenght is one thing many forget here ... learn to say NO :D

you may enjoy to share a drink with a friend ... doesn't mean one and another one and one more ..and more and more until pissed.

never forget that alcohol is a drug, and one of the worse as it's a social one and sold in every supermarket legaly :D

anyway ... go on with drinking and forget about a long life :D

some may say .. never mind, I take the good time now, have time to see what happens

next ... you may not have time enough to see what's next ...

some say, alcohol kills slowly ... never mind, I ain't hurry ...

good and sad joke :wub:

cheers anyway

francois

ps; I am not against alcohol, but a bit of temperance would be a good advice to many.

Alcohol is debilitating, far more so than smoking. If it doesn't get the best of you, then great, enjoy it occasionally and have a good time.

But for those who don't have a handle on it, its effects; physical, financial and emotional are too much too bear.

I walked away years ago. I had to for my own good. I've only been here in Bangkok a few short months, but the amount of alcohol I see consumed is stunning compared to the U.S.

I will hang out with my friends at a bar, go to bars and be quite comfortable, but it's strictly soda water for me.

Take care of your body. When you're older, you won't regret it.

Hey ExNewMex, I assume you are from the "Land of Enchantment", where if you don't mind telling? I worked in the oil fields outside Lovington at port of entry waaaayy back (Parker drilling out of Tulsa, Oklahoma) , NM is beautiful state and have considered moving to Ruidoso, need to get away from so many folks.

As far as alchohol is concerned, I don't use it much anymore but I sure do enjoy a cold one(or two) at the end of a 400 mile bike ride, I have had my fair share of booze in my younger days and must say that I enjoyed every drank I ever took. :o

Hey ExNewMex, I assume you are from the "Land of Enchantment", where  if you don't mind telling? I worked in the oil fields outside Lovington at port of entry waaaayy back (Parker drilling out of Tulsa, Oklahoma) , NM is beautiful state and have considered moving to Ruidoso, need to get away from so many folks.

Ruidoso is my old home town. Lovely place, especially in the winter and spring. It'll take your breath away at sunset.

As far as alchohol is concerned, I don't use it much anymore but I sure do enjoy a cold one(or two) at the end of a 400 mile bike ride,

Can you describe how a beer tasts after a four hundred miles bike ride? I just go around the corner to the little shop. It is not more than four hundred meters. Where do you live now?

You cannot expect us to buy bikes and subsequently drive four hundred miles with them to be able to share your experience.

But I suppose that the readers who regularly drive four hundred miles on a bike before they take a beer or two exactly know what you mean (sweetheart, I am off on my bike now, can you buy a couple of beers for when I am back to morrow morning?).

Is it comparable to walking four hundred meters and having a beer Sing or Heineken or Tiger or even Leo (yes yes yes) or Chang?

One of the most horrible persons, Mr. 12Call, living in this mall town who I have known for seventeen years now and cannot stand to see anymore, spoke wise words. He has insulted everybody, there is no restaurant in which he hasn't been shitting down his chair. He has been falling through shopwindows and so on, and so on.

Even if it is the most rude, uneducated, stupid, fattest meatball in town, he came, maybe more than ten years ago, up with the following wisdom.

And even if it is a completely disgusting person I have to write it in capaitals:

YOU DRINK TOO MUCH IF YOU CAN NOT DO THE THINGS ANYMORE WHICH YOU WANT TO DO!

The only thing I can do is to be humble! And learn to write 'we' where I write 'them', coward as I am.

QUOTE (Goat Roper @ Fri 2004-10-08, 17:00:02)

As far as alchohol is concerned, I don't use it much anymore but I sure do enjoy a cold one(or two) at the end of a 400 mile bike ride,

Can you describe how a beer tasts after a four hundred miles bike ride? I just go around the corner to the little shop. It is not more than four hundred meters. Where do you live now?

Sure I can describe the taste, Bangkok-Chiang Mai about 400 miles and after this ride a couple of beers(Singha) does indeed taste good over dinner. Have done this trip several times and the Sing brew tastes good every time, Let me say that I do not drink and drive.

:o