Safe Outgoing Mail

patsfangr

There was a thread a while back discussing the lack of reliability for outgoing mail in Thailand. I tried to find it, but couldn't; so I'll start this one.

The original thread was nearly unanimous in suggesting the use of DHL for any important outgoing mail. I'd like to mention a much cheaper alternative, with which I have personally had nothing but success. It's the Thai "EMS" service. I have sent several important documents to my bank, my former employer, the IRS, and the Soc. Sec Admin., all in the USA. Every one has arrived safely, with an average delivery time of about 7-8 days.

You get a receipt for these items, and you can track them online. For the EMS tracking you use http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinter...lt.aspx?lang=en. If you choose to do so, you can then you can track with the tracking service of the destination country. In the case of mail to the USA, that's at http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetW...LabelInquiry.do. But the EMS tracking does take it all the way to destination.

Here's an actual example of what you get when tracking the progress of the item via EMS:

Help | Contact Us

arrow.gif Search Result : EE062379606TH

DATETIMEScan LocationDescriptionDelivery Status April 2, 2008

12:58:22PATTAYAAccept April 2, 2008

13:53:58PATTAYAItems Into Container April 2, 2008

13:55:42PATTAYADispatch April 2, 2008

20:08:21SI RACHA MAIL CENTERContainer Received April 2, 2008

21:29:40SI RACHA MAIL CENTERItems Into Container April 2, 2008

21:29:48SI RACHA MAIL CENTERDispatch April 3, 2008

10:01:12SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTREContainer Received April 3, 2008

13:29:18SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTREOutgoing International April 7, 2008

02:49:00United States of America (USSFOA)Accept April 8, 2008

18:00-21:00United States of America (94240)Delivery StatusSuccessfulRecipient NameThe cost of EMS is a little over half of what you'd pay with DHL. So you might want to consider it in the future.

Thanks for the info.
The cost of EMS is a little over half of what you'd pay with DHL. So you might want to consider it in the future.

Could you give me an idea of how much that is?

I recently sent my tax returns to the USA. I checked on the DHL rates for each envelope. It was about 2300 Bt for each. The EMS fee was 1217 Bt per envelope.

Yesterday, I sent a couple of forms to the SSA office in Manilla, again via EMS. That fee was 867 Bt.

Some remarks:

While it is true that you can track Thai EMS messages all the way through the United States, for a whole host of other (especially European) countries this does not work. You can track till the package leaves Thailand and then it's over.

I use Fedex, which especially for larger parcels is cheaper then EMS,perfectly trackable worldwide, and in general delivered within 2-4 days.

EMS is cheaper for envelopes, but not being able to track it makes it useless for me.

I once had an undeliverable EMS parcel, which took 2 months to get back to Thailand. Fedex will call you when undeliverable, and return within one week!

I just use registered mail (Thai Post Office) to send outgoing letters. You can see online that these have left Thailand, and have arrived in the US, what more do you need? I use a post service with a small markup, recently cost me about 120 baht per letter total.

EMS outbound is 100% reliable in my experience.

It is mainly anything inbound that gets through at about a 25 - 30% success rate.

Soundman.

The key to 100% succes rate using the Thai post for incoming mail is make sure that your incoming mail has the Moo number. The house numbers in Thailand are doubled and quadrupled so if the Moo number does not appear on your parcel or the wrong Moo number the chances of you receiving your mail i less than 50%.

Barry

Never had a problem with registered mail from LOS. AND it can be tracked in UK using the Royal MAil website.

I have always used the registered mail here too for out going letters, also have a 100% success rate. I wasn't aware of being able to track it in the UK. When you say 'Royal Mail', is that Thai or UK? Would be interested if you could elaborate PP,

Thanks,

I just use registered mail (Thai Post Office) to send outgoing letters. You can see online that these have left Thailand, and have arrived in the US, what more do you need?

I'd be grateful if you could you provide a link to this online service.

Thanks.