What Watts

PattayaParent

Lights, apparently are measured in Lumens, not Watts, we are just used to watts which only tells you how much electicity they use.

Here is a rough guide of incadescant vs 'energy saving'

40W 11-14W

60W 15-19W

75W 20-25W

100W 26-29W

150W 38-42W

A simple Google search would have given you this info.

Anyway, why do I put 'energy saving' in inverted commas you may ask. Well my experience in LOS is that EVERY bulb in my new house blew within 6-12 months (about 15). I replaced them all and the majority have blown again (2 years in total in the house).

I have now stopped buying these bulbs for 120 baht each, and have reverted back to incandescant bulbs, which give a much softer and more attractive light, at 100 baht for 6. None of these have blown yet, and I have saved myself about 1,000 baht. I have also stopped swearing and shouting about the fckin lights, which has probably saved a few kilos of CO2, and thus helps the environment :o

You do not say where you obtained that chart (perhaps outdated) but it is not what I find. Below is current US EPA chart:

-40w - - - 09-13w

-60w - - - 13-15w

-75w - - - 18-25w

100w - - - 23-30w

150w - - - 30-52w

I have been using over 30 such units for several years, some over 16 hours a day, and have had to replace very few. If you do not like the daylight versions there are warm white types that are not hard to find these days.

I would highly recommend buying only name brands as the few 'stall' sold bulbs I have tried all failed quickly or had dimming light after a short period (but that was a few years ago).

I think it comes down to off brand and name brand bulbs. I have had cheapies that came with the lamp fail within a few weeks and other name brands that are going strong after several years. I'd NEVER go back to incandescent bulbs.

As Gary A says there seems to be a big difference in brands and perhaps newer technology. First generation was very spotty, especially off-brands (cheap Chinese types). In those days the name brands were selling for 400 baht or so. But now good brands are only about 1-200 baht.

Thanks guys.

SweetChariot, maybe you need your electric checked out if your bulbs are always blowing?

I have been told that before, but since changing to mainly incandescent bulbs I don't seem to have a problem. :o

Incandescent bulbs can tolerate the possible voltage changes(surge or dip) as if they were on a dimmer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the energy saving type have some electronics involved to start them and such and can't handle power surges as well I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you notice you cannot put a dimmer on one of these and have it work properly.

Sorry Lop, I did a simple Google search as I suggested and copied the first one I came across.

What's a few watts between friends, what what? :D

US watts may be different as they only use 110 volts?? :o

Just joking, of course. :D

The manufacturer usually quotes the equivalent power on the packaging.