What Are You Planning To Do During Songkran?

george

What are you planning to do during Songkran?  

592 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad so many of you have had bad experiences.

I always enjoyed the week-long celebrations in Issan but this year will be in Phuket where i will be out there with my young boy (2 years old) on our dead end street with our water pistols shooting water at all our friends and neighbors and watching the laughter and good times through his eyes.

The festival reminds me of Halloween back home in the states and I always loved watching the kids faces when they got their bags of candy. Some jerk started putting razor blades in apples and such. Many people quit when that started. But i don't think you can go through life worrying about and changing your habits because of a few bad ones.

Pick your spot carefully if you're scared. I know I will know most of the people I'll be shooting water at.

Enjoy! (for all those who like the holiday)

:o LOVE THE PEOPLE , LOVE THE FUN, BUT SOME OF THE TEENS IN OUR VILLAGE GET A LITTLE CARRIED AWAY AND PLAY A LITTLE TO ROUGH FOR ME SO WILL LAY LOW AND PROBABLY GO OUT LATE IN THE EVENING FOR THE CHINNESE TABLE AND THE VILLAGE CONCERT THAT THE CITY FATHERS DO EVERY YEAR , LOVE THAILAND AND IT IS INDEED THE LAND OF SMILES AND GENTLE I AM GOING ON MY FOURTH YEAR AND LOVE EVERY DAY TO THE MAX. GRANDPA M THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT POST ALL THE TIME .

I voted "other"

I will be driving my pick-up with family and friends on it as they get wet and taking photos both in and out of the car in Kan.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Kan Win :o

This will be my 4th Songkran.

I've had two in the Pattaya area which is quite fun for a couple of days but getting soaked every day for a week becomes a bit wearing !

Last year in Bangkok was OK,this year in Issaan so dont know what it will be like......Tesco's were doing a roaring trade selling the water guns today !

Just remember,whilst this is on,never go out carrying your wallet,credit cards,expensive watch,passport,bank books etc.

They will be ruined !

Just put a little bit of money in a sealed plastic pouch.

Happy Thai New Year to everyone on the Forum.

This will be my 4th Songkran.

I've had two in the Pattaya area which is quite fun for a couple of days but getting soaked every day for a week becomes a bit wearing !

Last year in Bangkok was OK,this year in Issaan so dont know what it will be like......Tesco's were doing a roaring trade selling the water guns today !

Just remember,whilst this is on,never go out carrying your wallet,credit cards,expensive watch,passport,bank books etc.

They will be ruined !

Just put a little bit of money in a sealed plastic pouch.

Happy Thai New Year to everyone on the Forum.

if you cant beat them join them

First songkran in phitsanulok,last year pattaya nightmare :D Drunk thai teen soaked me and wife,7.30 in the evening we were dressed to go out for a meal. Was up for killing him him but m8s calmed me down :o Will check out this gaff stay safe evryone. :D

I noticed today that Khon Kaen City is "Swarming" with farangs and their GF's. They have obviously come to escape the "action" in Pattaya or Bangers. Boy, are they in for a suprise. They will wish they stayed where they were!!!

In the news section on the subject of Songkran I added this a short while ago

"Well what can I say? My previous concerns voiced on 3 forums over here have turned out regretfully prophetic.

The FUN lovers who normally enjoy or sometimes target motorists and those not wishing to participate will ALL have a BIG laugh at this.

Is today Songkran NO it is Friday 11th April

So please can someone explain to me why there are so many kid and a few adults chucking water at motorcyclists and everybody who moves in Khon Kaen.

I went out today before my enforced stay at home thinking I would be safe today - but NO.

I was water pistolled as I entered Fairy Plaza shopping Mall (ONLY the farang was targeted).

I detoured my motorbike on 3 occasion due to obvious water attacks I could see ahead. However, when my wife, 4½ stepson and I were returning home from my wife's aunt on my motorbike I was taken by surprise by an unexpected bucket of water thrown at us by a young child in a small soi (with adults in attendance)

I instinctively braked but (with hindsight) obviously too hard on the wet road (having been dry for days) my bike immediately slipped over sideways and on top of us. My stepson and wife were not crushed because being a fat 145 kilo man I am well padded and took the brunt of the weight of my Yamaha Nouvo (not a tiny or light motorbike for its class).

Luckily we were all wearing helmets (very fortunate for me because the side of my head hammered against the road and my helmet came off with the impact. I now have a slight head ache as I write having just got home (but I am certain I have no concussion).

My stepson was crying and has a big graze on his knee, my wife a small cut on her leg and I have a long graze on my left arm and a small one on my leg. My motorbike unscratched in 1½ years of driving is damaged down the left front side.

Sure the family of the water thrower raced to help and were very, very sorry. I intimated that today is not the start of the festival and left it at that.

As we drove away they patted me and said "Happeee Songkran". Obviously thankful we took it all so well

Many here may feel it was an accident (which it was BUT there are accidents and accidents. This one should never have happened. For a start today is not part of ther Songkran holiday and it is about time people controlled themselves with a little responsibility. This incident proves what the festival has become when children (with adults in attendance) are allowed to throw buckets of water at motorcyclists with women and children passengers.

You have no idea how controlled I am being not saying the words that came to my mind as we crashed over.

Can I do anything. NO they are too poor to pay for the bike to be repaired and the cuts, grazes and shock will quickly heal.

1 -0 to the fun lovers (three innocent persons minding their own business the day before the Songkran week starts are shaken up with very minor injuries and I have a damaged bike in need of repair.

I am NOT a "Happee Hector"

HAPPY SONGKRAN and PLEASE be sensible with your targeting if you intend to participate in the water throwing festivities".

Did it the once 3 years ago and ended up getting more dark skinned than the girlfriend after sitting,standing or hiding in the back of the truck for most of the day. Up near Mahasarakam in a small village I got a good soaking / powdering in the nicest possible way ( they did ask the girlfriend for my assent first ), these people were so good natured as well. Funny thing was you could see / sense their genuine happiness and enjoyment of the event. If songkhran was like that all over thailand then I would do it every year.

However, in the next village it was different as the people had crowded onto the main road making it wide enough for only one vehicle. You were unable to get past and had to go through very slowly as they crowded around the truck. It felt like a turkey shoot :o when the villagers saw there was a foreigner in tow.

The part that was not fun was when a petrol pump attendant who was unseen by me, as I was watching the other 2 attendants, poured ice cold water over me and resulted in me being unable to move for some time. I am sure the shock of this would probably be enough to bring on a heart attack in a person. Sometimes you did notice a difference in the water but never knew what it was though.

Having seen how crazy it can get I will be staying indoors but it will be only for 1 day as that is all it lasts for here in Petchaburi. I just dread to see how many people are going to lose their lives this year.... Be safe.....Be careful.

First stock fridge with beer and Regency. Next, haul out the "Liquidator" from the previous 3 years,clean, check firing mechanism.Then, clean and check Glock 9 replica that fires sun tan lotion at 10 squirts a second. Next, drink shots of Regency, put on my " foam-dome"hat with 2 cold cans. Jump on back of motorbike and, with girlfriend driving, fire indiscriminately at people down the beach. Stop at beach bar to replenish foam dome,squirt proprietor, pee in the "Liquidator", jump back on bike and repeat process to the other end of the beach.Stop at home to replenish ammo,gulp Regency, hose down girlfriend, 2 cans in the dome, fire up Honda and terrorize beach again. Heaven, thy name is Songkran.

Sounds good i think i will do the same :o

I hate Songkran. Over the years I've unfortunately lost my temper every time I was caught in the mayhem when I had to go out. Not good. I'll stay home and watch TV. I've stocked food and beer for the duration.

This year the kids have chickenpox, so it'll be water pistols in the garden just, but we have gone out in the past. (Got turned around by the police the one time we tried to go to Khao San road in the back of a pickup - but we were virtually out of water by the time we were turned around anyway. :o )

But honestly, other than with the kids in the garden, I tend to avoid Songkran. (It's not that difficult if you drive your own car - as it's very easy then to stay off the sidewalks... But I definitely wouldn't want to be on a motorbike, or on foot during this.

It is a lot of fun, so long as you know it's going on, and can avoid it when you don't want to be taking part. But I pity the tourist who comes here for two weeks for the first time, and had never heard of Songkran, so wasn't .

Go out just after 04.30 am and go walk about until around 07.30am, and enjoy the ability to do so.

Go home, relax and enjoy the rest of day at home with my family. ( 12,13,14,15. )

Plenty to do and pass the time away and no worries about the negatives that we used to complain about.

May the fatalities be few and the injuries repairable.

Keep safe whatever you wish to do, consider others, enjoy and take care, everybody.

marshbags :o

a couple years back was my first time around the mote here in Chiang Mai. 6 hours in the back of a pick up with 2 giant barrels and and lot of ice and water. it was hilarious. it was outrageous. it was all out war! it was really really fun and I'll never forget it.

Water "war" is a big word, especially regarding Songkran ...

I wish Irakis, Afghans and others knew only of such a war !

I will splash all the people I like, sorry for those I can't soak because they're too far.

Edited by MengWan

You can always tell those that are old at heart or just dam_n old .... stay at home? run away?

This is the most fun holiday of the year here! (and my second favorite holiday! -- I enjoy Loy Krathong a bit more .. for the beauty of it!)

Indeed I agree with you about song Kran. I am nearly 40 and still love the idea of Song Kran. Its a time to be young at heart again. You can go full on with the celebrations or just take it easy by going out of town a bit. Why some people take every oppotunity to moan about it is beyond me. Old cloths and no mobile phone. Thats all you have to remember. Its bloody hot at the moment and getting soaked in water is not the worst thing that can happen.

You can always tell those that are old at heart or just dam_n old .... stay at home? run away?

This is the most fun holiday of the year here! (and my second favorite holiday! -- I enjoy Loy Krathong a bit more .. for the beauty of it!)

Indeed I agree with you about song Kran. I am nearly 40 and still love the idea of Song Kran. Its a time to be young at heart again. You can go full on with the celebrations or just take it easy by going out of town a bit. Why some people take every oppotunity to moan about it is beyond me. Old cloths and no mobile phone. Thats all you have to remember. Its bloody hot at the moment and getting soaked in water is not the worst thing that can happen.

Quick dry clothes, a dry bag, 2 cameras, a phone, some cash .... and no crying !

Going to spend time in the swimming pool at our "moo baan" with the family unit. At least I'll already be wet, so I won't get too upset about getting squirted on. Other than that... I prefer the indoors... I like watching the festivities from far away.

Happy Songkran to everyone!

Cheers! — Möe

Splashing a bit of water around can be fun but it just gets taken to far, particularly in Bangkok. The fact that 300 to 400 Thais will be dead when it is all over sort of takes the gloss off the whole thing. It is a shame that it just gets taken way too far. It would be fun if people didn't go stupid. This will be my 14th. since coming here and this one I think I will give a miss. Not getting old just getting annoyed at the idiots.

I noticed today that Khon Kaen City is "Swarming" with farangs and their GF's. They have obviously come to escape the "action" in Pattaya or Bangers. Boy, are they in for a suprise. They will wish they stayed where they were!!!

In the news section on the subject of Songkran I added this a short while ago

"Well what can I say? My previous concerns voiced on 3 forums over here have turned out regretfully prophetic.

The FUN lovers who normally enjoy or sometimes target motorists and those not wishing to participate will ALL have a BIG laugh at this.

Is today Songkran NO it is Friday 11th April

So please can someone explain to me why there are so many kid and a few adults chucking water at motorcyclists and everybody who moves in Khon Kaen.

I went out today before my enforced stay at home thinking I would be safe today - but NO.

I was water pistolled as I entered Fairy Plaza shopping Mall (ONLY the farang was targeted).

I detoured my motorbike on 3 occasion due to obvious water attacks I could see ahead. However, when my wife, 4½ stepson and I were returning home from my wife's aunt on my motorbike I was taken by surprise by an unexpected bucket of water thrown at us by a young child in a small soi (with adults in attendance)

I instinctively braked but (with hindsight) obviously too hard on the wet road (having been dry for days) my bike immediately slipped over sideways and on top of us. My stepson and wife were not crushed because being a fat 145 kilo man I am well padded and took the brunt of the weight of my Yamaha Nouvo (not a tiny or light motorbike for its class).

Luckily we were all wearing helmets (very fortunate for me because the side of my head hammered against the road and my helmet came off with the impact. I now have a slight head ache as I write having just got home (but I am certain I have no concussion).

My stepson was crying and has a big graze on his knee, my wife a small cut on her leg and I have a long graze on my left arm and a small one on my leg. My motorbike unscratched in 1½ years of driving is damaged down the left front side.

Sure the family of the water thrower raced to help and were very, very sorry. I intimated that today is not the start of the festival and left it at that.

As we drove away they patted me and said "Happeee Songkran". Obviously thankful we took it all so well

Many here may feel it was an accident (which it was BUT there are accidents and accidents. This one should never have happened. For a start today is not part of ther Songkran holiday and it is about time people controlled themselves with a little responsibility. This incident proves what the festival has become when children (with adults in attendance) are allowed to throw buckets of water at motorcyclists with women and children passengers.

You have no idea how controlled I am being not saying the words that came to my mind as we crashed over.

Can I do anything. NO they are too poor to pay for the bike to be repaired and the cuts, grazes and shock will quickly heal.

1 -0 to the fun lovers (three innocent persons minding their own business the day before the Songkran week starts are shaken up with very minor injuries and I have a damaged bike in need of repair.

I am NOT a "Happee Hector"

HAPPY SONGKRAN and PLEASE be sensible with your targeting if you intend to participate in the water throwing festivities".

sorry to hear about your accident -- and good that your wife and child were not hurt -- similar thing happened to me on the way home with a load of shopping at the talat -- in my work cloths - rushed out to do some shopping - heading home on the back of a moto taxi - got a load from a bucket in the soi = the moto taxi just about stopped and was really pissed - similar thing last year - coming out of seacon square - walking in front of a well dressed thai guy and his lady -- i said not but still got a good squirt from a couple of young guys --- the thai guy said no --- mai -- he got a dose also -= and he dropped the kid with a decent punch to the head --- sure this kid pays attention next time some one says "thanks" haha -- i could not stop laughing -- and the thai guy apologised to me --- haa so i will be staying in -- had 5 years of this whilst living in bangsaen and that was more than enough -- could not even go out safely at nite -- but to see it starting on friday well - just a little too much -- the problem is that most thais have lost the true meaning of songkran -- and now see it just the same as the tourists do - good reason for a decent water fight and drink as much as u can - hate to see what the road toll will be of the ensuring days --- 300 - 400 hundred dead and thousands injured --- well one way to control the population growth --but what a terrible waste - all under the guise of having fun -----

saw a large convey of new CSD police cars with light flashing heading out of town tonite ---- all brand new Toyotas - hope they can control the roads --- and also had to laugh -- we now have red light cameras in bkkk --- really and thats going to make a difference -- come on - who is fooling who /???