Cashing A Us Check From My Usa Bank Account

Dear All,

As I sent all my money home (USA) last month, now situations have changed, and I will be leaving Thailand for good. I now need to have enough money to pay off all my credit cards, flight ticket, etc, which will be in the thousands of dollars, once all is added up.

Has anyone have experience writing a USA check from their checking account, putting it into their Thai bank account? Can you advise the time it takes to clear the check to actually use the money? I am looking at about 25 days until departure and I want to make sure it will clear by then?

Any factual help appreciated..

my bank is UOB, I am working, have a work permit, etc.

Lopburi, thanks twice....

Have you ever done a money wire/transfer, I didn't think about that, as it takes two days for the money to get there from here, so I assume from USA here it would go about the same...

time to investigate that one...

If I call my US bank at 11PM Thai time it is credited to my account by noon (during workdays). But unless you have a wire transfer agreement on file you may have a problem doing without being in a branch office. In that case you might be able to have someone else wire for you - even if you have to EMS a check to pay for it.

I often write a cheque and pay it into my Thai bank account.

I have UK bank accounts and so the cheques value is in UK Sterling.

Paying in the cheque (at the Kasikorn) costs $10 equivalent which you pay when you deposit it. (eg. at today's rates 311 baht).

After 2 weeks the funds are taken from my UK account (I check using on-line banking) and then in about another 2 weeks later the funds (in the baht equivalent) are credited to my Kasikorn bank account.

Its the cheapest way of money transfer as long as you are not in a rush for the money and you are happy to accept the exchange rate in about a months time! And over a regular period it all balances out.

I've done this for over 4 years now and never had a problem.

I think that expecting it to be cleared in 25 days is however a bit risky. If it was 35 days OK, but for 25 I would advise a SWIFT Transfer.

I 've used this as well and costs vary from the sending bank (within the range of $20 - $40 equivalent) Will take between 1-4 days, again depending upon the sending bank you use.

Dear All,

As I sent all my money home (USA) last month, now situations have changed, and I will be leaving Thailand for good. I now need to have enough money to pay off all my credit cards, flight ticket, etc, which will be in the thousands of dollars, once all is added up.

Has anyone have experience writing a USA check from their checking account, putting it into their Thai bank account? Can you advise the time it takes to clear the check to actually use the money? I am looking at about 25 days until departure and I want to make sure it will clear by then?

Any factual help appreciated..

my bank is UOB, I am working, have a work permit, etc.