Adsl And Telephone Line Quality

somtaamgaiyang

I am thinking about getting ADSL, however, my home phone is very "crackly". Will this cause big problems.

Does anyone have any experience which provider is better, and is it worth it?

I am so used to the speed of a dialup, I am not sure it is really worth it just to read the papers etc.

Thanks in advance,

STGY

I jumped on this topic because I feel trapped in Bangkok, because I must have high speed internet connection to function. I would love to live in a rural area, like River Kwai, or outside of Udon Thani. I know there are web shops with ADSL in Kanchanaburi, but have a lot to learn about the limitations of availability.

What I would really like to see is a map of coverage areas where ADSL is available, so I can go exploring for a great place to live with that knowledge.

I am very pleased with KSC as a provider, but I fear if I leave Bangkok, I will end up losing my high speed connection. When asking KSC about their coverage area, they insist on a phone number to look up.

Does anybody know of any resources that could help inform me as to coverage areas?

I am thinking about getting ADSL, however, my home phone is very "crackly". Will this cause big problems.

I am so used to the speed of a dialup, I am not sure it is really worth it just to read the papers etc.

Thanks in advance,

STGY

Hey, I wouldn't bother to go ADSL if your just browsing news sites on and off. ADSL is good if you need a permanent connection and need your phone line to be free at the same time.

I have True (512) and most times it's just a little faster than dial up. For irregular usage save yourself the headf_cks and stick with the old 56k.

I am thinking about getting ADSL, however, my home phone is very "crackly".  Will this cause big problems.

Thanks in advance,

STGY

Hey, I wouldn't bother to go ADSL if your just browsing news sites on and off. ADSL is good if you need a permanent connection and need your phone line to be free at the same time.

I have True (512) and most times it's just a little faster than dial up. For irregular usage save yourself the headf_cks and stick with the old 56k.

Yeah, but once you've tried DSL it's kinda hard to go back... I'm using a 3 Mb/s service myself (spoiled, yes!) and could never see myself returning to dial-up...

/// dfw

You may or may not think this is helpful, but...

In the US I had a terrible phone line. The fastest connection I could get with a 56K modem was 24K. I used the SAME LINE for ADSL at 1.5 meg with no problems.

Go figure.

If your phoneline is cracky already with dialup you can forget about ADSL. I had a phoneline with a slight bit of noise in a previous house, and the result was that ADSL was worse than the dialup line I had in my next house.

There are no rules where lines are good and bad, it's pot luck. You will even find that some periods, sometimes for months at the time, things flick between being good and bad.

TIT and I wonder if it will ever change :o