Rate The Condos In Chiang Mai

fanciman

There are lots of well known Condos in CNX, nearish the old city, on the ping river, by the night market and so on.

Are they all much of a muchness, or if you are going to buy would you say that some are much better build quality than others?

Which one is "Miss Chiang Mai"?

I reckon the build quality of Twin Peaks, Peaks Town etc looks pretty good from what I have seen.

It does look good TP but they are quite small and bloody expensive. They are close to 5.5 - 6.0 mil baht for around 90 sq/m

That includes around 600,000 for a "sinking fund" And I understand around 35 baht sq/m body corp fees.

For my money Chiangmai Floral Condominium take some beating (no, I don't live there) Lovely grounds, good swimming pool, tennis court, exercise room, exceptionally well run.

Don't know of any shonky business practices there which cannot be said for many of the other properties around Chiangmai.

Floral have a car park space for every unit which again cannot be said for many other properties.

All apartments at Floral have been sold which again cannot be said for many other properties. They have no non-paying owners (of body corp fees) all are paid up.

One of the pertinent factors in respect of Floral is that it was a Japanese project. That in itself has to be a plus when you take into account the shonky business practices employed by many Thai developers.

One downside to Floral is that the road leading to it is rather narrow and I also believe that there is a mosque not too far away. OK no need to have an alarm clock :o

Take a look at Embassy Suites (past Rimping condo) very few rooms sold. They cannot even afford to have the lights on in the common areas.

And I wouldn't think that Embassy is the worst in CNX either.

There are lots of well known Condos in CNX, nearish the old city, on the ping river, by the night market and so on.

Are they all much of a muchness, or if you are going to buy would you say that some are much better build quality than others?

Picking a good quality building with sound management is important. Quite a few buildings around town that are completely empty/abandoned. Does anyone know the large pink colored building to the west of canal road (and a couple of km north of Huay Kaew)? Its a good looking building in a nice quiet area and maybe 15 stories tall but completely empty.

If they ever decide to implode some of these decaying monsters then will make great photo opportunities.

For my money Chiangmai Floral Condominium take some beating (no, I don't live there) Lovely grounds, good swimming pool, tennis court, exercise room, exceptionally well run.

All apartments at Floral have been sold ...

Any pointers as to seeking out units available for sale and/or prices? Agents? The condo office?

Picking a good quality building with sound management is important. Quite a few buildings around town that are completely empty/abandoned. Does anyone know the large pink colored building to the west of canal road (and a couple of km north of Huay Kaew)? Its a good looking building in a nice quiet area and maybe 15 stories tall but completely empty.

If they ever decide to implode some of these decaying monsters then will make great photo opportunities.

Does anyone know the large pink colored building to the west of canal road

It is Lily Condominium.

It is a another prime example of Thai developer's ability to think much further out than the length of their arm.

t

Any pointers as to seeking out units available for sale and/or prices? Agents? The condo office?

Floral have a real estate office on site. Lady's name is Yaowamarl. Her phone # is 08 18818045

Other's the condo office is a good starting point.

Does anyone know the large pink colored building to the west of canal road

It is Lily Condominium.

It is a another prime example of Thai developer's ability to think much further out than the length of their arm.

t

why is it empty? does anyone know the story of what happened? It looks like it would be a nice place to live.

I've lived in Rimping Condo for nearly two years now, renting, and like it well enough that I bought a place in it last month, which we will move into in a few months after renovating. The people who built and run it live in it, and are busy renovating their places very nicely, which says something, one hopes, about their commitment to the place.

I heard that Lily is 5 or so stories too high (the bit at the top). It did open and is fully furnished but every room was rental, no sales. They were told to close down and tenants kicked out when their contract ended.

I did hear it was for sale around the 30 million mark but sounds like that is not a bargin as nobody has bought it. Or probably my information was wrong again!

I reckon the build quality of Twin Peaks, Peaks Town etc looks pretty good from what I have seen.

All apartments at Floral have been sold which again cannot be said for many other properties. They have no non-paying owners (of body corp fees) all are paid up.

50% of the units at the Floral are owned by the building management company based in BKK. They see more value in keeping them as rentals than outright sales. The units on the mosque side of the building are cheaper than on the other side because of the calls to prayer every day. During the rainy season the street in front of the condo floods.

Floral have a real estate office on site. Lady's name is Yaowamarl. Her phone # is 08 18818045

Dealing with the condo office manager is an excellent idea, deal with others at your peril!

The 18-unit Huen Po Liang is often cited as the city's best, but few people know the place. The two penthouses there are owned by Tarin Nimanhemin (finance minister under PM Chuan) and the director of the Bank of Thailand. The developer was the owner of Thai fashion label, Dapper. He lost the complex in the 97 crash and the units were sold by Siam Comm Bank. The owners manage the complex themselves, with an elected committee and hired manager. Large units, small pool.

The 18-unit Huen Po Liang is often cited as the city's best, but few people know the place. The two penthouses there are owned by Tarin Nimanhemin (finance minister under PM Chuan) and the director of the Bank of Thailand. The developer was the owner of Thai fashion label, Dapper. He lost the complex in the 97 crash and the units were sold by Siam Comm Bank. The owners manage the complex themselves, with an elected committee and hired manager. Large units, small pool.

where is that located?

Dealing with the condo office manager is an excellent idea, deal with others at your peril!

Dealing with the condo manager is often a bad idea if you knew remotely what you are talking about. Managers earn commsiions on sales, and steer you only to what they earn the most money on. Often with predominately Thai owners it is a net price so the manager jacks it up for whatever they think you are worth, I know one manager that adds on 200k just to start in a low end building, another was loading 500k.

Sometimes if the bank holds units the manger will show you one of those as they have the keys, and if you are interested will then take a holding deposit on it with them with your deposit, then on-sell to you at an inflated price. Ouch. :D

In Chiang Mai most western agents charge 3% to the owner, or buy direct from the owner if find a deal, be careful re paperwork though in direct.

I also know two people who cleverly bought through Thai building managers to "save money" - idiots, found later the contract actually transferred to the managers name! Got ripped off and then didn't even own it.

So be careful if handing out ignorant advice to people, you could be (maybe) inadvertantly steering them into a scam. Always be suspicious folks. If you really believe a building manager is going to do a deal for you then you just haven't been here long enough. :o

As to Floral that agent has the building pretty much wrapped up as a monopoly, consider if you are likely to get a deal there. General consensus is they are overpriced for what you get.

Lilly just had poor timing, lovely buidling but all 2 bedroom plus, in todays prices even if available which they are not, would not be cheap. They ran out of people who could afford it back then, but some units are actually occupied.

Dealing with the condo manager is often a bad idea if you knew remotely what you are talking about. Managers earn commsiions on sales, and steer you only to what they earn the most money on. Often with predominately Thai owners it is a net price so the manager jacks it up for whatever they think you are worth, I know one manager that adds on 200k just to start in a low end building, another was loading 500k.

Sometimes if the bank holds units the manger will show you one of those as they have the keys, and if you are interested will then take a holding deposit on it with them with your deposit, then on-sell to you at an inflated price. Ouch. :D

In Chiang Mai most western agents charge 3% to the owner, or buy direct from the owner if find a deal, be careful re paperwork though in direct.

I also know two people who cleverly bought through Thai building managers to "save money" - idiots, found later the contract actually transferred to the managers name! Got ripped off and then didn't even own it.

So be careful if handing out ignorant advice to people, you could be (maybe) inadvertantly steering them into a scam. Always be suspicious folks. If you really believe a building manager is going to do a deal for you then you just haven't been here long enough. :o

As to Floral that agent has the building pretty much wrapped up as a monopoly, consider if you are likely to get a deal there. General consensus is they are overpriced for what you get.

Lilly just had poor timing, lovely buidling but all 2 bedroom plus, in todays prices even if available which they are not, would not be cheap. They ran out of people who could afford it back then, but some units are actually occupied.

Building Manager's, YES I agree that they can be the scum of the earth.

The number of condo properties around Chiangmai (and for that matter the rest of Thailand) where the manager has their own little business going is probably the norm. They show you unit's, and they put the commission straight into their pockets.

And they defend their right to do so. :D

Edited by john b good

You don't know what you are talking about in respect of Floral Condominiums in Chiang Mai. As a person who had rented a unit at Floral previously, subsequently bought a unit there, lived in it for a couple of years and then sold it, I do indeed know what I am talking about and am not about to be chastised by you on this subject! My experiences of dealing with the Floral Sales Office over a four year period were all extremely negative although I will not go into the details here. On the otherhand my experiences of working with the Condo Manager were all entirely favorable, even to the point of selling our unit through her referral rather via the sales office route. I think if you check into the matter you will find than Kuhn Nok is very highly regarded by all residents and by residents of other condo buildings also to the point that other condo blocks have tried to recruit her. Kuhn "Sales" on the other hand is well known to do little without financial independent incentives and I can confirm this to be the case.

where is that located?

my guess, on Nimanhemin :o

And whilst re reading your ludicrous posting again, three more points:

1) the real estate company office at Floral is owned by the company condominium company, that's why they have it all "wrapped up".

2) the owners of the building held back eight units for rental purposes and these were not sold for that reason, not 50% of all units!

3) The larger units at Floral are 150 sq metres and they sell for between 5.5 and 6.5 million baht. That is a very attractive per square meter price when compared to many of the alternatives, especially given the construction specification of the building and the caliber of the on site management. The general consensus is therefore contrary to your view in that the units are very high grade and much in demand which is why there is a wait list to buy one.

where is that located?

Off Soi Wat Umong, about halfway between Suthep Rd and Wat Umong. The smallest units are about 150 sq m, 3BR/3b.

Lilly just had poor timing, lovely building but all 2 bedroom plus, in todays prices even if available which they are not, would not be cheap. They ran out of people who could afford it back then, but some units are actually occupied.

I heard the Lilly was haunted. And if I heard that, then I'm sure Thais have heard it too. It might not stop me from living there, but I bet it would stop some Thais. And that's enough to kill whatever value it might have had.

The VIP Condo on Huay Kaew Rd, just east of Canal Rd has been sitting empty for over 10 years too.

where is that located?

Off Soi Wat Umong, about halfway between Suthep Rd and Wat Umong. The smallest units are about 150 sq m, 3BR/3b.

Still a mystery to me where this is located. I drove up and down but didn't see anything high end quality wise. Where is it in relation to the pink colored Sintana resort building? Any other landmarks? Is it near the road or set back etc? on the mountain (west side) of road?

Still a mystery to me where this is located. I drove up and down but didn't see anything high end quality wise. Where is it in relation to the pink colored Sintana resort building? Any other landmarks? Is it near the road or set back etc? on the mountain (west side) of road?

this any help

281572784_9WMAT-M.jpg

Lilly just had poor timing, lovely building but all 2 bedroom plus, in todays prices even if available which they are not, would not be cheap. They ran out of people who could afford it back then, but some units are actually occupied.

I heard the Lilly was haunted. And if I heard that, then I'm sure Thais have heard it too. It might not stop me from living there, but I bet it would stop some Thais. And that's enough to kill whatever value it might have had.

The VIP Condo on Huay Kaew Rd, just east of Canal Rd has been sitting empty for over 10 years too.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the history behind the VIP Condo?