Farang V Farang

lioness

Farang v Farang scames & cons

One story to start as follows:-

A Welshman came to Thailand on holiday 2 years ago, met an English man in a bar in Pattaya, they became "mates".

The Welshman goes home but keeps in touch via e mail.

Two years downthe track the mate has moved to another town in central Thailand, He's bought a pub and business is booming but he;s tired and looking for a partner would the Welshman be interested.

The Welshman books a 2 month holiday and arrives at his mates pub. The mate spends 3 days & nights extolling the virtues of the pub and the welshman is definately interested, but he is feeling a bit pressurized. He needs to get away and think. He tells the Englishman he is going out into the country for a couple of days, the Englishman says well when you get back I am going to have a couple of weeks off and you can run the pub and get the feel of it.

The Welshman moves into a Hotel run by another Farang, now this is quite a popular spot and is always frequented by the Farang comunity as they serve up excellent English meals.

He's sitting chatting to the owner, when another Englishman walks in, this bloke doesn;t know the Welshman. He starts talking to the owner about his mate who owns the other pub, Yes, he's thinks he's got someone to put money in, some F------ Welsh <deleted> is going to put in 500,000 Baht, he reckons if this works out he's got it made, won't have to bother working again.

You can imagine these 3 sitting at the table, the pub owner says have you met my friend here, no says the bloke, who are you he says to the Welshman, I'm that F------ Welsh <deleted>. Needless to say his mate missed out big time.

Anyone else got any storys?

Nah, you should beware of both foreigners and locals at the same time. I think the former just stings more because your stupidity becomes more evident (while the latter, you can still blame and whinge about the country and cultural differences... although yes, stupidity is likely the culprit there as well).

:o

We tend to drop our guard against our Fellow Farangs when we first come to Thailand, after a few years in country, some of us learn the hard way that it is wise to guard against all.

In my 18 years in Thailand I've been ripped off only one time for any signifigant ammount, luckily it was only 60,000 Baht, it was by a friend ( Farang ). I could post his name here as I have heard he's still in Bangkok, but I would assume that's against Forum rules, but I pity the guy that meets this really likeable man and trusts him, I still think hes a good guy, just don't lend him any money.

When I first came to Thailand I had some money and a guy in Pattaya was trying everything to part me from it, he stole my mail to gain some background information on me and concocted an elaborate story intended to part me from money. He told me he owned houses and that he had one to rent to me, I rented the house from him cos it was a nice house, a couple of months later a Thai man came round the house and asked where Tony was as he hadn't paid the rent!!

Yes folks he was renting the house, told me he owned it, then charged me more then he was paying, that's fair enough I suppose, but he never paid the owner the rent at all !!! That is how he was stealing my mail, he had a key to the mailbox.

I was in touch with my ex-wife who had wrote letters and the info he had could only have come from them, he had 100% been stealing my mail, the tosser even threw away the photos of my kids that were in the letters.

When confronted he was in pieces, denying everything and went from the so called hard man, to a whimp in a few seconds. I was 35 years old, fit as a fiddle with a background in Shotokan Karate so I was not to be messed with. He declined an invitation from me to settle it like gentlemen and let me give him a good thrashing!

I got to know how this guy would prey on newcomers, very often they would be older guys who really could do nothing against this man, I never harmed him in any way I just blanked him after. Thing is, this guy was great company, a laugh a minute and the brightest guy in any gathering, great to go out with etc etc...

Within a year of that event he had left Thailand never to be seen by me again, last I heard he was doing a stretch in a UK prison for Fraud.

There are some Farangs in Thailand on the bones of their azz who wouldn't hesitate to rip you off, so keep your guard up against all, not just the locals.

Edited by Maigo6

Nah, you should beware of both foreigners and locals at the same time. I think the former just stings more because your stupidity becomes more evident (while the latter, you can still blame and whinge about the country and cultural differences... although yes, stupidity is likely the culprit there as well).

One "scam" thast gets me is those Thais who do those annoying "surveys" but really

they just want to take you to some 3rd rate hotel

chain where you can win a "prize" if you sign up for membership in their travel club.

Seems to be in Bangkok and Pattaya....Maybe not really a scam but pretty close..

One "scam" thast gets me is those Thais who do those annoying "surveys" but really

chain where you can win a "prize" if you sign up for membership in their travel club.

Seems to be in Bangkok and Pattaya....Maybe not really a scam but pretty close..

When they ask where you are from just say "Sweden" and I promise you they will say thank you and look for the next schmuck

:D

When they ask where you are from just say "Sweden" and I promise you they will say thank you and look for the next schmuck

Why? :o

Why? :D

You beat me to it! :o

By the way...I'm a <deleted> Welsh <deleted>...who wants THB 500,000? :D

Scams involving foreigners? Some of the people selling offshore financial products come to mind.

Falsehoods seem to abound among this group. Such as: 1) Saying it has a 10 year lock in, when the fine print says 30 years. 2) Stealing someone’s identity to falsely open new accounts and receive an initial bonus. 3) Claiming the products are useful to the buyer because of the tax savings, when the fees are higher than any potential tax savings. 4) Making up professional designations, falsely using them, or lying about backgrounds and experience. 5) Claiming they are somehow regulated by the FSA to sell the products.

And these are just the people selling "regulated" products. Then there's the boiler room folks...

Scams involving foreigners? Some of the people selling offshore financial products come to mind.

Falsehoods seem to abound among this group. Such as: 1) Saying it has a 10 year lock in, when the fine print says 30 years. 2) Stealing someone's identity to falsely open new accounts and receive an initial bonus. 3) Claiming the products are useful to the buyer because of the tax savings, when the fees are higher than any potential tax savings. 4) Making up professional designations, falsely using them, or lying about backgrounds and experience. 5) Claiming they are somehow regulated by the FSA to sell the products.

And these are just the people selling "regulated" products. Then there's the boiler room folks...

I'd agree with this. Every single "financial adviser" I've met in Thailand has been an out and out con man. Worse than the timeshare sellers.

I'm not sure they're that different to the boiler room scum if you look at the quality of the "products" they're selling. All very very high fee very very high commission rubbish that mean you don't get even the same return as leaving your money in a bank for at least 2 years so there commissions can be paid

I'll have it Taffy, I'll pay you back next week when my money comes through ! :o

Cool.

Just let me have a nicely presented business plan for the pub/bar/restaurant/massage parlour and I will transfer it in cash immediately. Back of a fag packet will do, no need for fancy spreadhseets.

No need to pay it back...just promise to pay it back, that is enough for me.

Anyway, your name is "I NOT LIE" so what have I got to be worried about!

I say the foreign survey dudes are lame. Instead of answering where you're from instead ask where they're from & if you can see their work permit and/or passport LOL :o

Actually the worst scam in LOS is Thais scamming other Thais. The scale is major, so if YOU should feel all Thais are only out to scam the foreigner you're narrow minded!

Cheers!

another one

Then there's a developer, among other things he offers to assist with the sale of a acquaintances property. Very nice desirable property and he has an associate coming out from the UK looking for Investment property on which to build resorts and hotels, and feels sure that this particular property will be of interest.

A few weeks later he goes to the property with a couple of men in tow and reports that they are very interested but are not Mr Big, Mr Big is a very old man and will be coming to Thailand shortly.

Shortly apparently turns in to several months, with the proposed arrival date getting put off from one to the next.

Eventually the old bloke turns up, the owners are asked to vacate the premises while the developer shows the old chap around. He told them he had told the old chap that the property was his...

A few days later he rings and tells them that the old chap is interested and will be going home to the UK to organise a deposit. Once again several months pass, with the deposit supposed to be arriving each week.

Eventually Christmas comes around apparently the old chap has borrowed several million english pounds from the bank but the monery won't be cleared until after the New Year.

New Year comes and the friends are in a spot of bother and thinking the deposit might be through ring the developer to see if it has arrived. no, the bit of bother was roughly outlined and the developer suggested that the friends transfer their property into his Thai wifes name where it would be SAFE.

The friends have a sticky situation but they are not stupid and decline.

One of the problems was my friends kept getting different stories, it was said that no way would the old chap send money to Thailand but he would transfer it into an English bank account. On another occassion he said that the money would be paid to his offshore account and he would pay it from there.

8 months later no sale.

This friend becomes friends with another Farang trying to sell his business, they get to talking and he finds out the same person says he has a very old man coming out from England shortly and he feels sure that the buisness will compliment the resorts and hotels he intends to built in Thailand.

I make no comment, just state the facts, you draw your own conclusions.

another one

Then there's a developer, among other things he offers to assist with the sale of a acquaintances property. Very nice desirable property and he has an associate coming out from the UK looking for Investment property on which to build resorts and hotels, and feels sure that this particular property will be of interest.

A few weeks later he goes to the property with a couple of men in tow and reports that they are very interested but are not Mr Big, Mr Big is a very old man and will be coming to Thailand shortly.

Shortly apparently turns in to several months, with the proposed arrival date getting put off from one to the next.

Eventually the old bloke turns up, the owners are asked to vacate the premises while the developer shows the old chap around. He told them he had told the old chap that the property was his...

A few days later he rings and tells them that the old chap is interested and will be going home to the UK to organise a deposit. Once again several months pass, with the deposit supposed to be arriving each week.

Eventually Christmas comes around apparently the old chap has borrowed several million english pounds from the bank but the monery won't be cleared until after the New Year.

New Year comes and the friends are in a spot of bother and thinking the deposit might be through ring the developer to see if it has arrived. no, the bit of bother was roughly outlined and the developer suggested that the friends transfer their property into his Thai wifes name where it would be SAFE.

The friends have a sticky situation but they are not stupid and decline.

One of the problems was my friends kept getting different stories, it was said that no way would the old chap send money to Thailand but he would transfer it into an English bank account. On another occassion he said that the money would be paid to his offshore account and he would pay it from there.

8 months later no sale.

This friend becomes friends with another Farang trying to sell his business, they get to talking and he finds out the same person says he has a very old man coming out from England shortly and he feels sure that the buisness will compliment the resorts and hotels he intends to built in Thailand.

I make no comment, just state the facts, you draw your own conclusions.

As an aforementioned stupid Welsh <deleted>, this sounds great!

When can I put my 500K into this kind of thing please?

Hurry...the money burning a hole in my wellies!!!!

Any Swedes on here yet?

I am dying to know why being tall, handsome and blonde makes these people run a mile :D

Any Swedes on here yet?

I am dying to know why being tall, handsome and blonde makes these people run a mile :o

It might be the blue eyes of Swedes making the trick!

Seriously – the Swedish media has published a lot of stories about Swedes being fooled buying time-share in the past. Today I guess few Swedish people are willing to get into the traps of time-share sellers. This is well known by most time-share sellers and might explain why they don’t want to spend their “expensive time” with a likely negative turnout.

Been in asia 15+ yrs and can honestly say that I've been scammed [ripped off] by more falangs than Thais altho one Thai scammed me royally on a land deal. Most of the falang scams were 'friends' that needed help [loans] and didn't repay.

I've learned to always keep my guard up and trust people slowly and that the best way to loose a friend [thai or falang] is to loan them money.

er mate, I must be a <deleted> English <deleted> then! :o

sorry guys, this is a private joke between me and the Welsh <deleted>.... :D

Edited by onnut

er mate, I must be a <deleted> English <deleted> then! :D

sorry guys, this is a private joke between me and the Welsh <deleted>.... :D

:o At least you are getting it back!

PS - I have no idea who you are :D