What's In The Rice Paddies?

Macx

Curious city slicker here, seeking a bit of advice.

I've been invited to do a bit of rice planting with some Thai friends up around the Nong Kai area :o

I'm thrilled and would love to do it, at least for a few days.

Should I go wading in barefooted like the locals do, or should I be worried about "things"/bacteria/whatever in the water/mud? Anything to lookout for?

Should I wear rubber boots?

Last time I waded in a river and accidentally swallowed a tiny bit of water and was very sick for a week. Fever, nausea, stomachache, the whole mess.

So, naturally I'm a bit squirmish about infections.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Should be no problems going in barefooted, so long as you don't have any cuts or open sores and avoid drinking the water! I've waded in countless paddies and fish ponds over many years with absoletely zero ill effects. :D

However, this is not to say there are not potential risks attached, namely occasional snakes, crabs that can nip your toes, sharp snail shells which can cut your feet and perhaps most risky at all, the small chance of contracting Weil's Disease or leptospirosis from rat wee. This disease is on the increase in Se Asia, and if you have any cut or open sore, you would be well advised to wear waterproof boots before venturing into a paddy or other watercourse.

I have to say though that in Thailand, you have a far greater risk of being involved in a traffic accident on the way to or from the paddy than you do contracting any disease in the field itself. :o

"However, this is not to say there are not potential risks attached, namely occasional snakes, crabs that can nip your toes, sharp snail shells which can cut your feet and perhaps most risky at all, the small chance of contracting Weil's Disease or leptospirosis from rat wee. This disease is on the increase in Se Asia, and if you have any cut or open sore, you would be well advised to wear waterproof boots before venturing into a paddy or other watercourse."

I used to work on our farm in sandals and bare feet until I ended up in hospital, quite unwell, for 3 weeks. I contracted leptospirosis, I was not aware of having any cuts or open sores though I may have had a mossie bite that I had scratched? After recovering I purchased waterproof boots, and pairs for my son and wife. I offered to buy some for my extended family who work on our farm but they declined, saying they were too uncomfortable.

It is a most unpleasant illness and can be life threatening, wear waterproof boots.

Thank you both for your replies!

Plachon, does spending so much time in the water soften your skin and make it more susceptible to cuts? And are there many poisonous snakes in the Northeast? (I've bicycled and motorcycle many thousands of km all over LOS, and by far, the primary roadkills are snakes by a factor of 10--where as in Vietnam, it was rats)

Seykota, thanks for sharing that. Leptospirosis is completely curable? Can you catch it again? Are there any lasting effects in your case?

Much appreciated, guys.

Cheers

Your nice city feet are soft and easily damaged compared to those having spent a few (!) years in the fields. Most of the sharp stones have been removed over tyhe years, most of the snakes will run away - just ensure you splash and walk "heavy" on the mounds between the fields. Although boots are a good idea in practice it is difficult to move after sinking in one place for a 20-30 seconds while you push the young rice plants into the mud - not difficult work. But because of the water almost every person I have seen do this does so while bending over at 90 degrees at the hips, expect back ache after an hour or so - wise to have a hot bath (not shower) waiting. Protection from the sun is wise. For 180-200 Baht a day this is tough work. Good to experiance it - glad I am not Thai.

( I used a low ankle boot with sox - looked funny getting wet but protected my feet. )

Thanks, Cuban. You're right about my feet :o

And it's a shame about my city-skin too. I get bitten by something several times everyday despite all precautions. So, yep, it's gonna be tough work.

Gawd, 200bhat a day with your face in the mud, the sun lashing your back.

I'm going to give it a couple of days so I can more fully enjoy my pampered life :D

Cheers

I wouldn't go barefooted. Drunk a$$holes throw beer and Lao kao bottles in the paddies and at least in my case, the rotary tiller pulverizes them. The large broken snail shells are about as sharp as broken glass and more likely to break off under your skin than glass. My wife has spent hours picking out broken glass and snail shells but it is impossible to find them all.

Good point, GaryA. I would never thought of that. Having stepped on broken glass at the beach in Phuket, I know it isn't much fun. A friend stepped on a rusted nail (it went all the way to the bone) and spent the rest of her 2-week holiday hobbling around on one foot. I attended the surgery. Wasn't pretty.

Thanks.

BTW, are these the same snails sold and eaten at the markets?

Good point, GaryA. I would never thought of that. Having stepped on broken glass at the beach in Phuket, I know it isn't much fun. A friend stepped on a rusted nail (it went all the way to the bone) and spent the rest of her 2-week holiday hobbling around on one foot. I attended the surgery. Wasn't pretty.

Thanks.

BTW, are these the same snails sold and eaten at the markets?

I don't think so. My wife says they are not safe to eat. She does pick them up, bring them home, crush them and feed them to her ducks. She says some people eat them but she doesn't want to take a chance on them making us sick. They are VERY plentiful.

Don't forget the leeches ,

most Thais i know wear those blue plastic welly boots that you can pick up at any Thai market

best of luck to you

i tried harvesting rice i lasted about 40 minutes baking hot and raging back ache , so i moved on to cucumber picking , yeah right stuff that for a game of soldiers,

picking and sorting them all day then taking them to market just to get 50-60 baht for a 10 kilo bag

but i tried and the locals thought it was great and didn't,

expect to much from me

give it a go and enjoy

colino

Thank you both for your replies!

Plachon, does spending so much time in the water soften your skin and make it more susceptible to cuts? And are there many poisonous snakes in the Northeast? (I've bicycled and motorcycle many thousands of km all over LOS, and by far, the primary roadkills are snakes by a factor of 10--where as in Vietnam, it was rats)

Seykota, thanks for sharing that. Leptospirosis is completely curable? Can you catch it again? Are there any lasting effects in your case?

Much appreciated, guys.

Cheers

Yes, after an hour or two in the drink your hands and feet will be softened up a treat and quite susceptible to cuts and scratches, thus increasing the chances of pathogen entry. Neoprene dive boots could be an idea if you're worried, but rubber wellies get horriby hot and smelly quickly, putting everyone off from standing near you!

As for snakes, I've seen odd cobras on paddy bunds and surrounding forest land, but most of the snakes you come across are non-poisonous or mildly poisonous small fish-eating snakes, which mostly clear off quickly at the sound of an approaching person. The number of snakes that can be found in a single paddy is sometimes quite surprising - I've seen 5 or 6 tangled up in gill nets set for fish, and they are obviously an important part of the local ecology. However, I've never been overly concerned about treading on snakes when harvesting rice, but treading on broken golden apple snail shells iand getting cut s probably the major threat you'll encounter. If you're planting rice, it's usually not a problem as the snails haven't yet had a chance to build up, but it depends on the local conditions how many are left in mud from previous season.

Leptospirosis is not completely curable and it can be deadly if not treated fast enough. It's often mis-diagnosed as flu in its early stages. I know somebody who got it from falling in a Lao river when canoeing and was seriously ill for a few weeks. Getting prompt and good medical care is the key to treatment and recovery.

My father-in-law is a rice farmer in Surin providence. On one of my weekly visits I was bored and asked if I could help harvest the rice. My wife pleaded for me not too as she thought I would probably suffer a stroke in the hot sun. Mind you the rice had already been cut and laid in the paddies for us to just to pick up the bundles and toss them in the wagon to haul to the farm. Well I did work a 10 hour day and it was good exercise with giving me a chance to pass the time away. I will tell you it was mighty hot but all in all it was no different than bailing hay when I was a youngster. I guess the lesson I learned was not to stand to long in one spot on the mounds between the paddies, as this is where some of the nasty ants tend to make their hills.

Of all my time that I have spend in the farm country of Surin I can honestly say that I have seen quite a few snakes and only one time a cobra. They all appeared to me more scared of me than I was of them.

NOTE: I wore no boots while in the paddies, only a cheap pair of Thai sneakers as these felt more cool and comfortable than any big hot boots.

Thanks, colino & dingdongrb :o

My only stint at farming was years ago during high school when I went out to do some cherry picking. I ended up eating so much cherry that one day that I was so sick I didn't show up the next. Lousy pay, but the farmer did say I could eat as much cherry as I wanted. Reminded me of a book, Coyote by Ted Connover, who worked alongside Mexican migrant workers picking oranges.

Plachon, about the snakes, do the Thais kill them? Is it bad karma or something?

As far as I know, Vietnamese kill snakes almost religiously and so they end up with a huge rat problem all over the countryside.

Thanks all, that's plenty of info for what I originally thought was a silly question. Cheers.

In my village if they come across a snake they cook it and eat it ,,

the most common snakes iv seen have been banded yellow black red .and about 2 feet long

don't forget the old saying

red next to black friend of jack ,

red next to yellow kill a fellow

In my village if they come across a snake they cook it and eat it ,,

the most common snakes iv seen have been banded yellow black red .and about 2 feet long

don't forget the old saying

red next to black friend of jack ,

red next to yellow kill a fellow

Yellow Black Red, if it goes back to yellow black red, so we will have yellow and red next to each other again.we will have the red next to both yellow and back so.... what will that mean?

:o

Thanks, colino & dingdongrb :D

My only stint at farming was years ago during high school when I went out to do some cherry picking. I ended up eating so much cherry that one day that I was so sick I didn't show up the next. Lousy pay, but the farmer did say I could eat as much cherry as I wanted. Reminded me of a book, Coyote by Ted Connover, who worked alongside Mexican migrant workers picking oranges.

Plachon, about the snakes, do the Thais kill them? Is it bad karma or something?

As far as I know, Vietnamese kill snakes almost religiously and so they end up with a huge rat problem all over the countryside.

Thanks all, that's plenty of info for what I originally thought was a silly question. Cheers.

Yes, most Thais I've ever come across are petrified of snakes and are programmed to kill them if they can. In rural areas, esp Isaan, they like to eat them too, with the bile duct and gall bladder being prized for its masculinity-enhancing properties!

I think it goes back to a children's fable that Thai kids are brought up with, which goes along the lines of a farmer finding a cobra on the paddy bund shivering to death on a cold day. Feeling sorry for it he picks it up and cradles it in his hands to warm it up. Thinking he's doing a good turn and getting lots of kharma, he can't believe it when the cobra turns round and bites him. As the farmer lays there dying, he reflects on the moral that "A snake will always be a snake" and he should really have killed it!

So the wheel keeps turning and snakes are routinely killed on sight every day of the year. However, one Udon man apparently broke this cycle by recently marrying a bloody great python. It was reported in the news section of TV recently. Let's hope for his sake she doesn't revert to form and squeeze him to death in an over-amorous lover's embrace proving the fable correct!

Another exception is the famous snake village in Khon Kaen, where they've figured out looking after king cobras and showing them to tourists daily is more lucrative than killing and eating them. It's an interesting show if you ever get the chance, esp the katoeys french kissing the king cobras! :o

Please use caution when playing with snakes outside your own 'backyard'. The 'red on yellow/red on black' is specifically for coral snakes and tricoloured king snakes which are found only in North America. The variations of kraits can appear to look like innoculous snakes from elsewhere. Know your stuff or avoid completely!

• 3 weeks later...

yeah watch out for all sorts of worms, bugs and parasites....depends to an extent on what type of fertilizer is used eg fresh pig <deleted>......or other may be a potential hazard. I understand things can go right through your skin and along your veins to a resting place such as the intestines before mulitplying and then traveling to your brain where they slowly eat it out and one day when you are having a beer and notice beer dribbling out your ears...its too bloody late !

Thanks, colino & dingdongrb :D

Yes, most Thais I've ever come across are petrified of snakes and are programmed to kill them if they can. In rural areas, esp Isaan, they like to eat them too, with the bile duct and gall bladder being prized for its masculinity-enhancing properties!

I think it goes back to a children's fable that Thai kids are brought up with, which goes along the lines of a farmer finding a cobra on the paddy bund shivering to death on a cold day. Feeling sorry for it he picks it up and cradles it in his hands to warm it up. Thinking he's doing a good turn and getting lots of kharma, he can't believe it when the cobra turns round and bites him. As the farmer lays there dying, he reflects on the moral that "A snake will always be a snake" and he should really have killed it!

So the wheel keeps turning and snakes are routinely killed on sight every day of the year. However, one Udon man apparently broke this cycle by recently marrying a bloody great python. It was reported in the news section of TV recently. Let's hope for his sake she doesn't revert to form and squeeze him to death in an over-amorous lover's embrace proving the fable correct!

Another exception is the famous snake village in Khon Kaen, where they've figured out looking after king cobras and showing them to tourists daily is more lucrative than killing and eating them. It's an interesting show if you ever get the chance, esp the katoeys french kissing the king cobras! :o

One of the handlers from there died recently after receiving his 4th. "love bite"

... and one day when you are having a beer and notice beer dribbling out your ears...its too bloody late !

Beer leakage, it's not a pretty sight! :D

But it sure does feel good after downing half a dozen or so... :o:D