Upvc Doors And Windows

pattayapip

Hi, I have just bought an unfinished house outside of Pattaya, it has the Brown Alu Windows and Doors and i am thinking of having them all taken out and replacing with upvc, For insulation and security reasons (and i dont like them) There are 5 1700x2100 Patio sliding doors, and 12 other windows around 1500mm wide.

Firstly, what kind of budget are we talking about to have these made and fitted? And who provide a good service for decent/reasonable windows doors?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are at least 3 PVC window/door dealers/showrooms in the Pattaya area.

ARC

Thysen

Euro

Most of the HomeMart type stores also offer PVC products.

I would be calling or visiting each one and have them come give you a bid. At the very least you can get a "feel" for the company. Get some references and talk to them. They all do similar work and have been here for a while. I have a friend doing his house now with Euro PVC company. THe windows are installed next week. Hes happy so far.

Hi, I have just bought an unfinished house outside of Pattaya, it has the Brown Alu Windows and Doors and i am thinking of having them all taken out and replacing with upvc, For insulation and security reasons (and i dont like them) There are 5 1700x2100 Patio sliding doors, and 12 other windows around 1500mm wide.

Firstly, what kind of budget are we talking about to have these made and fitted? And who provide a good service for decent/reasonable windows doors?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tryba are also good, just past the turning to the 36rd, keep going straight towards Laem Chabang & your see them on the left before the big tile centre, Tel: - 038-240197

There is also Windsor windows in the home mart centre, almost oposte Ambasdor city hotel near Ban Amphur

The guys at Europvc are very good though, ARC is about the best locally but can be pricey

My friend is in the middle of having 15 Euro PVC windows installed as I write this.

Not sure but I would say about 8 or 9 large sliding glass units. The type that the center panels slide left and right to cover the left and right fixed lites. Most of the sliders are what I would call large sizes. Also one very large double French door with side panels all Upvc. And the rest are smaller fixed and casement style. All windowsare single pane green glass and all the windows that open have a key locking system. He is also getting a bug screening on all windows that open that is first rate.

He is very happy to this point with the EuroPvc company and the man he worked with. The installers are doing what is needed and what he asks and work with his builder well.

The total cost for these 15 windows is in the neighborhood of 320,000 baht. If this kind of money fits your budget these windows are very nice and high quality. They use the Thysen parts and assemble them in the Euro factory in Pattaya.

What I found interesting is they built all the window frames in the factory and cut the glass to size but they are installing the glass on site after the frame is installed. Not being a window expert I would have expected they complete unit to be assembled in the factory and they carried to site and installed. So if this is standard in the window industry I don't know.

Good luck on your window search,,,,,,,,,I will be interested to know what you choose. I will be building next year I hope and this is a tough decision when on a tight budget.

My friend is in the middle of having 15 Euro PVC windows installed as I write this.

Not sure but I would say about 8 or 9 large sliding glass units. The type that the center panels slide left and right to cover the left and right fixed lites. Most of the sliders are what I would call large sizes. Also one very large double French door with side panels all Upvc. And the rest are smaller fixed and casement style. All windowsare single pane green glass and all the windows that open have a key locking system. He is also getting a bug screening on all windows that open that is first rate.

He is very happy to this point with the EuroPvc company and the man he worked with. The installers are doing what is needed and what he asks and work with his builder well.

The total cost for these 15 windows is in the neighborhood of 320,000 baht. If this kind of money fits your budget these windows are very nice and high quality. They use the Thysen parts and assemble them in the Euro factory in Pattaya.

What I found interesting is they built all the window frames in the factory and cut the glass to size but they are installing the glass on site after the frame is installed. Not being a window expert I would have expected they complete unit to be assembled in the factory and they carried to site and installed. So if this is standard in the window industry I don't know.

Good luck on your window search,,,,,,,,,I will be interested to know what you choose. I will be building next year I hope and this is a tough decision when on a tight budget.

Seems most of the windows are customs. Unlike the western countries we live in there are very few standar sizes made here in LOS, But then again you don't see too many levels or T-Squares being used either!

very few windows & door sliders are made together & the screens are made to the custom design as well.

I have not seen anyone have a premade available here in Thailand.

Our doors are 2" higher than the standard premades in the U.S. & the windows are 1/2 " more also. Must be cheaper for them to just cut the parts & assemble them.

Seems most of the windows are customs. Unlike the western countries we live in there are very few standar sizes made here in LOS, But then again you don't see too many levels or T-Squares being used either!

very few windows & door sliders are made together & the screens are made to the custom design as well.

I have not seen anyone have a premade available here in Thailand.

Our doors are 2" higher than the standard premades in the U.S. & the windows are 1/2 " more also. Must be cheaper for them to just cut the parts & assemble them.

Thanks for help and advice, I will call the upvc people and go from there, Thanks again

Having just looked at putting uPVC windows in I changed my mind.

They are 2.5 times the aluminium window price.

The frames are thicker so more prominent than aluminium.

The white al. looks nicer than the bronze aluminium.

Just my (well SWMBO'ed) opinion.

Having just looked at putting uPVC windows in I changed my mind.

They are 2.5 times the aluminium window price.

The frames are thicker so more prominent than aluminium.

The white al. looks nicer than the bronze aluminium.

Just my (well SWMBO'ed) opinion.

I just dont like them, they are thin and cheap and flimsy, I am hoping that i may be able to reuse the glass as its decent Tinted Glass and hopefully that will make it quite a bit cheaper?

oh, these windows and doors are so expensive?

what are the prices for normal windows and doors?

now in the process of buying the above

I will re phrase :o What maybe i really meant, but said wrong was:

The windows in this House i have just bought are fitted by a blind one legged drunk!! Nothing fits properly, if he had a spirit level it was bent one end!! and everything is mega loose!! I just took and instant dislike to them all.

Had heard good reports of the UPVC windows so thought i would ask for a couple of Quotes, One with using the nicely tinted glass already fitted, and another with using completely new glass.

I had both Windsor and Tryba, both are around the 200,000 mark including Fly Screens, I am quite happy with those prices, just talking with Tryba now to see if their windows/Doors are multipoint locking like Windsors, as heard or read another place that a few guys thought their windows to be superior to Windsor.

Am told Alu windows are at least half the cost of UPVC, but you can lift all the doors/windows straight out of the tracks. Not saying that if anyone wants to break in they cant with upvc.

Resident in c rai

I tooam looking for similar and someone to make movable wooden/plastic Upvc louvred shutters as are standard in Caribean Queensland and many antique Malay house but local carpenters seem unaware of how to construct

Any advice contacts gratefully received

I know what you mean about the cheap aluminium doors they are horrid poorly put together and locks etc have a life expectancy of a day after purchase we got those in an otherwise hi spec house and they are common all over thailand cheap nasty and shoddy and no economy in the long run if they need relacing every 5 years

Chok Dee

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Resident in c rai

I tooam looking for similar and someone to make movable wooden/plastic Upvc louvred shutters as are standard in Caribean Queensland and many antique Malay house but local carpenters seem unaware of how to construct

Any advice contacts gratefully received

I know what you mean about the cheap aluminium doors they are horrid poorly put together and locks etc have a life expectancy of a day after purchase we got those in an otherwise hi spec house and they are common all over thailand cheap nasty and shoddy and no economy in the long run if they need relacing every 5 years

Chok Dee

I initially thought the companies name was Tryba, not so, its wrvinyl look them up, they have quite a few good reviews and apparently do this in other places in Thailand too. Went to see the Farang who runs it, Swiss maybe? Was very pleased with the Thyssen profiles he showed me and also the multi point locking, His price was similar to Windsor, but actually looking physically at what he is going to make and install, plus being farang (Should be aware of what i will expect?) made me decide to use him, already paid deposit, will update on how this goes, but i am hopefull.

Now to find a bloody electrician Now that is getting hard :o already had one not turn up and its scuppering me !!

You are at Phoenix right? Go talk to Homemart in Ban Ampur they have a factory at the back of the shop that makes the things. Believe they also have a new show room out front so you can't miss it.

• 4 months later...

Hi, Thought i would come back with an update on the upvc windows, The company i used was WRVinyl, The owner Peter came himself to look at the project and measure up. This is an ongoing project done piece by piece as i work away most of the time, My Thai wife has been looking after this while i am away, and i must say she has surprised me and done a great Job.

Anyway, after measuring up and agreeing specs and price, all windows single pane sliding with multi point lock, Front double doors multi point lock both open out etc, i paid the deposit agreed a schedule and went off back to work. Many things did not happen when they were supposed to :o and i kept putting the installation point back, but anyway we arrived at a point when the building was ready. A quick call to Peter and they arrived on site 3 days later, took 2 days to install, The supervisor walked around the windows with my wife and she agreed all was ok :D They did also agree to leave final payment for when i returned and was happy with the installation.

Well i arrived home and looked at all the windows and Doors, 4 French Sliding doors, 1 Pr French Double opening front doors and 10 1700mm Windows, all with Multi point locking and Integral Fly Screens.

I was very happy with the quality of the windows/doors and the standard of fitting, But -- The windows only had single point locking installed -- I called Peter who came down to the House, agreed the mistake, Took all of the window sashes out there and then, took them back to the factory, came back 1 day later, re-installed all the windows, fitted covers for the drain holes, tidied up the few little bits i had picked up !!

The service was second to none, the price was very very good, i am happy to reccomend them to anyone!!

There are other Upvc window fitting companies in Pattaya, which i am sure other people have decent experiences, all i am saying is that this company i now have first hand experience and am more than happy.

Attached a few pictures of the Installation.

Cheers

Edited by pattayapip

I'd be VERY careful to make sure the plastic is imported. Many Thai made plastics disintegrate after a couple of years. At this point in time, I'll stick with aluminum. I'd be sick if I paid a big price for plastic windows and watch them fall apart after a couple of years.

I'd be VERY careful to make sure the plastic is imported. Many Thai made plastics disintegrate after a couple of years. At this point in time, I'll stick with aluminum. I'd be sick if I paid a big price for plastic windows and watch them fall apart after a couple of years.

Check out http://www.wrvinyl.com/

So the above comment is not relevant !

For me it is also important that the shop where I buy is somehow qualified. I mean really qualified, and not just picking up some skills on the job, as you find it here so often. Peter from WRVinyl is a "licensed fabricator of Thyssen Polymer GmbH", and not only since yesterday, and that does show.

And screens, yes, of course screen are available, and they are also PVC, that means easy to take off and easy to clean, just put them under the shower, and shower off any dust and dirt, and put back.

uPVC windows are factory manufactured with fusion welded corners and joints which are fully waterproof.

uPVC windows can be either made to measure to cement openings or “wet installed” which has an advantage in terms of installation cost and overall effect. In a wet installation, the windows are installed into the concrete blocks before cement render and plaster is applied.

Durability – uPVC windows are designed to last for your property’s lifetime. They never need painting and will look as good as new for decades.

Waterproofing – they are fully resistant to strong tropical rain and remain leak proof through even the most violent storms.

Pollution – with no adverse effects from the chemical pollution found in cities and industrial areas, PVCu Windows will stay clear and bright after many years.

Salt Water – Seawater and spray have no effect on PVCu Windows and Doors.

Sunlight – designed for maximum UV and Infrared resistance, – PVCu windows have been used in the Middle East, Singapore and tropical USA for the last 3 decades.

Humidity – uPVC windows will not warp, rot or break down in humid climates.

Wind – ideally suited to seaside locations and for use in high-rise buildings, uPVC windows maintain their strength through fully reinforced galvanised steel inner frames.

Noise Reduction – the double-seal system in uPVC windows and doors combined with insulating glass greatly reduces noise down to 1/8 of the original noise level(33-43dB).

Termites – such creatures often destroy wooden windows and wooden sub frames for aluminium windows in tropical climates, but ants and termites cannot attack uPVC.

Fire – PVCu is self-extinguishing – it will not catch fire and will not allow fire to spread. Profiles are manufactured under DIN 18 830 standard.

uPVC windows and doors can be double glazed with insulating glass which has further advantages when considering air-conditioning costs and reducing outside noise.

pattayapip,

Your new WRvinyl widows look great.

I think you made a good choice.

Would you care to reveal the total cost including install?

If not maybe a PM to me?

I intend to have them quote me a price early next year on my new build.

They were 160,000 Baht (10 Big Windows and 5 Big French Doors) , Which i think is great Value, with payments something like 50% on order, 40% When made and 10% when fitted and happy, good choice you wont be disappointed, They actually have a display at Careforre i saw Yesterday

Cheers

pattayapip,

If not maybe a PM to me?

They were 160,000 Baht (10 Big Windows and 5 Big French Doors) , Which i think is great Value, with payments something like 50% on order, 40% When made and 10% when fitted and happy, good choice you wont be disappointed, They actually have a display at Careforre i saw Yesterday

Cheers

pattayapip,

Just to clarify one more time?

Your cost was for:

10 ea 1700mm windows with multi point locks and screens

4 sliding doors 1700mm with multipoint locks and screens

1 double French door with locks and screens

Installation and any other misc. pieces.

What glass was installed? Green? Low e? Double?

Did you get pricing from any other Upvc dealer in the area?

Did you price aluminum to compare?

Hi, Thought i would come back with an update on the upvc windows, The company i used was WRVinyl, The owner Peter came himself to look at the project and measure up. This is an ongoing project done piece by piece as i work away most of the time, My Thai wife has been looking after this while i am away, and i must say she has surprised me and done a great Job.

Anyway, after measuring up and agreeing specs and price, all windows single pane sliding with multi point lock, Front double doors multi point lock both open out etc, i paid the deposit agreed a schedule and went off back to work. Many things did not happen when they were supposed to :o and i kept putting the installation point back, but anyway we arrived at a point when the building was ready. A quick call to Peter and they arrived on site 3 days later, took 2 days to install, The supervisor walked around the windows with my wife and she agreed all was ok :D They did also agree to leave final payment for when i returned and was happy with the installation.

Well i arrived home and looked at all the windows and Doors, 4 French Sliding doors, 1 Pr French Double opening front doors and 10 1700mm Windows, all with Multi point locking and Integral Fly Screens.

I was very happy with the quality of the windows/doors and the standard of fitting, But -- The windows only had single point locking installed -- I called Peter who came down to the House, agreed the mistake, Took all of the window sashes out there and then, took them back to the factory, came back 1 day later, re-installed all the windows, fitted covers for the drain holes, tidied up the few little bits i had picked up !!

The service was second to none, the price was very very good, i am happy to reccomend them to anyone!!

There are other Upvc window fitting companies in Pattaya, which i am sure other people have decent experiences, all i am saying is that this company i now have first hand experience and am more than happy.

Cheers

Hello,

Sorry to be negative but I am disapointed to note that none of the upvc windows or doors you have had installed have any provision for static ventiation and this is madness.

As a guide openings in outside walls ( door/windows) should be no less than 1/10th of the total floor area and the opening portion of the windows shoulf be no less than 1/20th of the rooms total floor area, i.e. total floor area 25m2 = minium size ( for light into room ) 5m2.

Minium opening area of total windows (for 25m2 floor area) 2.5m2.

It is vital to maintain a constant change of air to each room, failing to do so will result in stale air which will affect your health in the long term, I recomend you go back to the suppliers of the windows and ask him why he has not recommended or even provided static vents to his windows which are a standard requirement in europe.

Fortunately static air vents can be fitted retrospectively and are very inexpensive.

FOr those who are considering renewing windows ( be they made of wood/upvc/or metal) please take care to ensure that each window/door has a static ventilation inorperated into its consruction, there are several methods of providing adequate

airflow without compromising the security of your home.

One of the easieast and perhaps cheapest way window/door manfacturerso provide room ventilattion is to reduce the height of the frame by about 25mm/30mm and then fix a preformed 25/30mm height ventilation section (add on _ which ( in upvc windows anyway) clips directly to the top of the window frame , very easy and very cheap at point of maufacturer.

providing vents to preintalled windows is not rocket science, the frame is drilled out to recieve a preformed ventilation section which slot through the frame and can be manually adjusted from inside the room and also contains a small mesh internally to stop insects etc, not ugly at all an you could fit them yourelf if you are not afraid of an electric drill and a bit of careful juggling.

Making a room airtight is in the uk will lead to health and damp problems,, doing so in a hot and humid climate like LOS is even more likley to expedite these problems.

Alternatively youcould just go to sleep with your windows open which willl undoubtably provide the necessary air change within the property but is likley to be a magnet for the local oportunist thives who are allways on he lookout for an "opening" for thier skills.

Incidentally slidng opener's are cheap to manufacturer and easy to get in and out of, however a "tilt and turn" opening window provides great ventilation and it someone wanted to gain acess from the outside it would require a gread deal of noise to be made to get by the opening mechanism.

Making the room secure is important, but ensuring a constant change of air into every room should be your first consideration.

How many of you wake up with a headache due to not enough air changes into the bedroom?

roy gsd

pattayapip,

If not maybe a PM to me?

Cheers

pattayapip,

Just to clarify one more time?

Your cost was for:

10 ea 1700mm windows with multi point locks and screens

4 sliding doors 1700mm with multipoint locks and screens

1 double French door with locks and screens

Installation and any other misc. pieces.

What glass was installed? Green? Low e? Double?

Did you get pricing from any other Upvc dealer in the area?

Did you price aluminum to compare?

Yes to all of the above apart from the main doors, no screen on that as both doors open out and is the main entrance, a Grey glass waqs used, nice darkish tint which appears to cut quite a lot of heat transfer. I had a price from Windsor, but it was more expensive and for single point locking, they came back with a cheaper price and chased me for the contract, but i had already amde up my mind to use WRV

Cheers

Hello,

Sorry to be negative but I am disapointed to note that none of the upvc windows or doors you have had installed have any provision for static ventiation and this is madness.

As a guide openings in outside walls ( door/windows) should be no less than 1/10th of the total floor area and the opening portion of the windows shoulf be no less than 1/20th of the rooms total floor area, i.e. total floor area 25m2 = minium size ( for light into room ) 5m2.

Minium opening area of total windows (for 25m2 floor area) 2.5m2.

It is vital to maintain a constant change of air to each room, failing to do so will result in stale air which will affect your health in the long term, I recomend you go back to the suppliers of the windows and ask him why he has not recommended or even provided static vents to his windows which are a standard requirement in europe.

Fortunately static air vents can be fitted retrospectively and are very inexpensive.

FOr those who are considering renewing windows ( be they made of wood/upvc/or metal) please take care to ensure that each window/door has a static ventilation inorperated into its consruction, there are several methods of providing adequate

airflow without compromising the security of your home.

One of the easieast and perhaps cheapest way window/door manfacturerso provide room ventilattion is to reduce the height of the frame by about 25mm/30mm and then fix a preformed 25/30mm height ventilation section (add on _ which ( in upvc windows anyway) clips directly to the top of the window frame , very easy and very cheap at point of maufacturer.

providing vents to preintalled windows is not rocket science, the frame is drilled out to recieve a preformed ventilation section which slot through the frame and can be manually adjusted from inside the room and also contains a small mesh internally to stop insects etc, not ugly at all an you could fit them yourelf if you are not afraid of an electric drill and a bit of careful juggling.

Making a room airtight is in the uk will lead to health and damp problems,, doing so in a hot and humid climate like LOS is even more likley to expedite these problems.

Alternatively youcould just go to sleep with your windows open which willl undoubtably provide the necessary air change within the property but is likley to be a magnet for the local oportunist thives who are allways on he lookout for an "opening" for thier skills.

Incidentally slidng opener's are cheap to manufacturer and easy to get in and out of, however a "tilt and turn" opening window provides great ventilation and it someone wanted to gain acess from the outside it would require a gread deal of noise to be made to get by the opening mechanism.

Making the room secure is important, but ensuring a constant change of air into every room should be your first consideration.

How many of you wake up with a headache due to not enough air changes into the bedroom?

roy gsd

Understand your comments, and although i agree in UK (and the only reason these regs were brought in there, was to counteract regulations already made and implemented which caused the problems), apart from a few situations cant see that it makes much difference here.

Nearly always the windows will be open with the integral fly screens covering the opening, so no poor airflow there, Window bars solve the Magnet for thieves problem and are used extensively on most properties.

Only time all windows closed in a room the Air conditioning would be on therefore airflow again not a problem and with built in filters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just to give you an idea from another company.

Euro PVC which they were given the job and installed in my home.

Attached is the design and how many of each.

6 mm Tempered toughened glass, green tint installed,

Triple multi lock on every door and window and

has a key lock on the inside only.

Front main door is the only duel inside outside locking device.

German Quality dont fade like the copies from china do.

First class service.

My first house had Aluminum windows in, never again.

The following reasons to have UPVC windows installed.

Extra Security, no noise, clean and finishes the house of better.

• 1 year later...