Upvc Doors And Windows

pattayapip

Hello all,

I am currently looking for ways to partition a large room.

I will need 2 standard doors or 1 door + 1 large sliding door.

I am trying to decide between aluminum and UPVC.

I have a quote of Thb2,500 per sq meter from the Aluminum guy. Is this expensive? (I checked with 2 shops and both offered me about the same extimate)

I am yet to find a source for UPVC in Bangkok.

Any suggestions and personal experiences please do share.

Which one will be more cost efficient? aluminum or Upvc?

I was interested in the security comments in this thread.

So yesterday I prodded off to my second homes, HomePro and Global laugh.gif

I had no problem lifting out the sliding windows in the the pre assembled UPVC sliding windows. The sliding screen was also pathetically flimsy with gaps that any self respecting insect could get through.

I am leaning towards the Alloy frames, drilling a bolt through the top so they can't be lifted out and putting decent locks like int he pics below.

This will have bars on anyway.

Overall, I am very disappointed what I saw yesterday to be honest.

http://www.yalelock.com/Yale/Yalelock/About_Yale/Product_Lines/P124-Yale-window-lock2-524x224.jpg

http://www.lock-manufacturers.com/picture/window-locks/sash-window-lock.jpg

http://phantomglass.com.au/Common/Images/Photos/PG05.jpg

Stay aware from Tryba, stay FAR away. PM me and I'll tell you all about the horrid experience...

+1

And should add that the guy is actually in breach of the law by using the name Tryba,which is a respectable french company,as he is not allowed to use that name anymore.

Stay aware from Tryba, stay FAR away. PM me and I'll tell you all about the horrid experience...

+1

And should add that the guy is actually in breach of the law by using the name Tryba,which is a respectable french company,as he is not allowed to use that name anymore.

Are we talking about WRVinyl or someone else called Tryba? If WR I am intrigued as I used them last year and earlier this year and would consider them again in the future - they were the best value of the 4 companies I spoke to. If there are negatives then I would be very interested in what to be aware of for the future?

So it mean doors and windows in thailand also have a standard size same in Europe and i can buy it in a normal home mart? I also prefer PVC doors and Windows, where i can find a listing of available sizes?

Regards

Thomas

Thomas from what I have seen most are produced to order - depending on how big the hole is to put them in!

I have seen some ready made UPVC and white coated metal windows in some of the DIY stores so I guess you could look at the sizes available as a guide.

So it mean doors and windows in thailand also have a standard size same in Europe and i can buy it in a normal home mart? I also prefer PVC doors and Windows, where i can find a listing of available sizes?

Regards

Thomas

Thomas from what I have seen most are produced to order - depending on how big the hole is to put them in!

I have seen some ready made UPVC and white coated metal windows in some of the DIY stores so I guess you could look at the sizes available as a guide.

Thank for reply,

so,i will look at the DIY stores. I think the costumers size Windows will be more expensive than a standard size from a DIY store. UPVC are much more better than windows made from metal/aluminium? And how about windows made from wood?

Cheers

Thomas

Regards

Thomas

Thank for reply,

so,i will look at the DIY stores. I think the costumers size Windows will be more expensive than a standard size from a DIY store. UPVC are much more better than windows made from metal/aluminium? And how about windows made from wood?

Cheers

Thomas

QUALITY UPVC has many benefots and advantages over Aliminium but its main disadvatage is cost and requiring more than competent fitting.

Wood - no idea on cost and probably depends on how termite resistant it is :(

Regards

Thomas

Thank for reply,

Cheers

Thomas

QUALITY UPVC has many benefots and advantages over Aliminium but its main disadvatage is cost and requiring more than competent fitting.

Wood - no idea on cost and probably depends on how termite resistant it is :(

A good quality aluminium window is way more expensive than uPvc windows.

You should compare apples with apples.The Aliminium windows use in the Thai style townhouses are not comparable to uPvc in quality.If you look at the good quality aluminium which is delivered by Sunparadise or ARC just to name two,you will notice it have a higher price tag

As a guide openings in outside walls ( door/windows) should be no less than 1/10th of the total floor area and the opening portion of the windows shoulf be no less than 1/20th of the rooms total floor area, i.e. total floor area 25m2 = minium size ( for light into room ) 5m2. Minimum opening area of total windows (for 25m2 floor area) 2.5m2.

I am trying to understand the calculations. 5m2 is 1/5th of the floor area where I thought it would be 1/10th as described earlier.

Edited by canopy