I Hate Songkran!

Jingthing

<br />Just ventured out from the safety of the car. It's not that bad, some pretty men out there.<br />

Dammn - that is one pretty boy :o

Well Songkran is over for the year and got to admit that it wasn't as bad as I expected. Even my trip to gym on Naklua's wet day wasn't as bad as I thought and my trip both to and from the FARSIDE into town was pleasantly uneventful :D

Well, I'm not gay but that picture does not turn me off at all.

I didn't know any men could have curves like that.

Of course, knowing that's a ladyboy (if it really is), I'd rather be with the vast majority of the women on the planet before him/her.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
And next year we'll have the same Songkran discussion threads and we'll say the same things as we did this year and years past.

And of course the same people complaining about the discussion threads that they could easily avoid by not clicking in the first place.

I hate Songkran with a passion as I'm sure most people who get around on motorcycles do. Flying away is a bit extreme though, unless you're lucky enough to be going somewhere anyway.

Other countries are reaping the benefits of the Songkran stupidity. While I'm sure Songkran draws many Thais to major cities, it also repels those with the larger spending power (us).

I just love to watch the children enjoy themselves....Songkran is a great day for them.....I guess you never see the happiness, laughter and squeals of delight.

When I'm enjoying my day, I don't think about the Thai GDP......

Perhaps I should?.......no.... I think I'll enjoy the day with the kids. :D you keep your spending power. :o

Other countries are reaping the benefits of the Songkran stupidity. While I'm sure Songkran draws many Thais to major cities, it also repels those with the larger spending power (us).

I just love to watch the children enjoy themselves....Songkran is a great day for them.....I guess you never see the happiness, laughter and squeals of delight.

Perhaps I should?.......no.... I think I'll enjoy the day with the kids. :D you keep your spending power. :o

I guess you never had a bucket of ice water (with ice) thrown at your face/body while driving innocently down a side street at 21:00. Multiply by 7 days. What you describe above is beautiful if only for 1-2 days.

The attached photo shows the true Songkran. A light water sprinkling.

post-77132-1234734558_thumb.jpg

&lt;deleted&gt;.

Is that a ''168 hour'' day?

Flying away is a bit extreme though, unless you're lucky enough to be going somewhere anyway.

It's well worth it just to get away. You come back refreshed w/ a feeling of relief and victory, basking in the knowledge that you'll have a whole year w/o Songkran. I think there used to be a charter for sexpats direct to Angeles City. Me, I like a quiet break in inexpensive Penang, nice elegant bars, good food, beaches, civilized, international, historic, quaint in places. I'm hitting the States this year, though, and will be quaffing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and cutting into a real steak while all those <snip> dump filthy ice water, powder, and urine on each other. Enjoy, <snip>!

Edited by soundman
Removed inflamatory comments.

Well I hateSongkran in Pattaya/Jomtien also. But it is not so bad and can even be enjoyable in other parts of Thailand. I spent the "official" Songkran in Isaan, but have also stayed in Bangkok during Songkran with no ill effects, just a few more smiles than usual. I guess Chiang Mai can be pretty rowdy from what I hear. I will return to Jomtien next Monday when it is all over for another year.

A year later and I have a different plan for 2009. I am going away for TWO months, my least favourite months in Thailand--April and May--because of the heat, and will enjoy the springtime and early summer of the Southern California desert, and clean air, and quiet!

Songkran is a great day for them.....I guess you never see the happiness, laughter and squeals of delight.

Yeah, the local Thais have a great week taking out their frustrations on Farang.

I never think about the Thai GDP. Why should I?

It ceases to amaze me that the so called 'educated traveler' didn't do his homework before moving to a place where local events piss them off so much they have to go to another country! <snip>

Good to hear you are no longer amazed.

There is a difference between "having to go" and "wanting to go" and also between being able to comfortably or not.

No need to be testy.

It ceases to amaze me that the so called 'educated traveler' didn't do his homework before moving to a place where local events piss them off so much they have to go to another country! <snip>

Let me give you a clue.

There are 357 non-Songkran days in every year.

I'm amazed that an 'educated poster' didn't know that.

Let me give you a clue.

It is also possible that some of us enjoy being in several different countries for all kinds of reasons. Just because we leave "home" and move to Thailand doesn't mean we despise "home" and all that is associated with it.

Flying away is a bit extreme though, unless you're lucky enough to be going somewhere anyway.

It's well worth it just to get away. You come back refreshed w/ a feeling of relief and victory, basking in the knowledge that you'll have a whole year w/o Songkran. I think there used to be a charter for sexpats direct to Angeles City. Me, I like a quiet break in inexpensive Penang, nice elegant bars, good food, beaches, civilized, international, historic, quaint in places. I'm hitting the States this year, though, and will be quaffing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and cutting into a real steak while all those &lt;deleted&gt; dump filthy ice water, powder, and urine on each other. Enjoy, &lt;deleted&gt;!

Perhaps you should move to Penang for good. We will be rid of another whining miserable old fat foreigner.

Let me give you a clue.

You call yourself educated????? :o

Edited by Phatcharanan

Come on guys let this thread pass peacefully in the night, or at least put it to bed- it's almost time for the 'I hate Songkran 2009' thread.

And we'll have the same whining contingent complaining about the places they chose to move to/visit.

It's well worth it just to get away. You come back refreshed w/ a feeling of relief and victory, basking in the knowledge that you'll have a whole year w/o Songkran. I think there used to be a charter for sexpats direct to Angeles City. Me, I like a quiet break in inexpensive Penang, nice elegant bars, good food, beaches, civilized, international, historic, quaint in places. I'm hitting the States this year, though, and will be quaffing Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and cutting into a real steak while all those &lt;deleted&gt; dump filthy ice water, powder, and urine on each other. Enjoy, &lt;deleted&gt;!

Bit of a numb nutty.........lets hope no soi dogs have pissed on your steak.

&lt;deleted&gt;.

When you are happy all your days roll into one long one..... :D

When you are whingeing I guess you count the hours.... :D

Roll on Songkran.....yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa......

&lt;deleted&gt;.

I like your reply.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

&lt;deleted&gt;.

We all know where you'll be on Songkran - drunk in front of some bar pumping ice water at high pressure into people's faces as they ride past.

Let me give you a clue.

You call yourself educated????? :o

You're pretty uneducated yourself. I'm referring to "juniorboysown" as the 'educated poster' but you're replying to me.

Wake up!

I,ll spell it out for you old boy.....as you are having some educational problems it seems..................Here is a clue for ya........How many days in a year? When you get that right.....then you can start taking the mick about other peoples educational status..............Old boy. :D

Quote from Tropo "Let me give you a clue.

I'm amazed that an 'educated poster' didn't know that."

Tee hee hee. :o

Edited by Phatcharanan

I,ll spell it out for you old boy.....as you are having some educational problems it seems..................Here is a clue for ya........How many days in a year? When you get that right.....then you can start taking the mick about other peoples educational status..............Old boy. :D

Quote from Tropo "Let me give you a clue.

I'm amazed that an 'educated poster' didn't know that."

Tee hee hee. :o

Let me spell it out for you old boy. Songkran goes on for at least 8 days in Pattaya.

1 year = 365 days minus 8 days = 357

Of course the exact number of days was not the point, only that Songkran does not mess up the whole year.

Get yourself a clue first before you start preaching. Understanding the context of posts will be a good start for you.

Edited by tropo

Is it okay to start complaining about this year's (2009) Songkran yet? :o:D:D

I always leave Thailand about a week before Songkran starts.

And, people ask me why I don't stick around for the Songkran party each year. This thread explains it all. I have a choice of staying a few extra weeks to be abused by drunken louts, or going trout fishing on some lovely British Columbia river. In both cases I am immersed in water, but one is by choice while wearing waders, and the other is unintentional while trying to ride my motorcycle past a few drunken idiots. It's a no-brainer choice.

Have a good time folks and try to stay safe. I'll be thinking of you all and WILL be missing a few things I enjoy here in Thailand.