Noise Pollution In Thailand

Trevor

Doesn't Thailand have to be the noisiest place on the planet? The Thai must be the only race which spends money and goes out of its way to make their vehicles noisier than the manufacturers intended. Motorbikes, cars, trucks, buses, longtail boats, loudspeaker-film-ad vehicles, antiquated air conditioners and ceiling fans ... virtually all would fail Western noise-standard tests. There's no escape whether in town or country, or even in one's room!

Poorer countries like Indonesia and Philippines have better noise control on vehicle emissions, or perhaps less of an obsession to squeeze the maximum mpg at the expense of the environment. Thailand has its good points but I think the noise mania certainly puts some people off living there. That, and the total and utter contempt for pedestrians shown by all drivers, including the police.

I agree with you TOTALLY but can only recommend to try to "escape" from noise as often as possible (there still is some so-to-say silent (mostly non-touristic) island spots).

thai ppl won't listen to your arguments regarding noise as - in their opinion - it seems to be just normal (uuuaaah!).

shall live in Bkk the next 1-5 months or so (biz reasons) and even thinking about that noise factor drives me crazy

:o:D:D

Indonesia is way noisier.

Other reasons why Thailand is noisy compared to most Western countries (it's all relative you know.... When I go to the West I initially worry I suddenly have gone deaf: when you're inside at night you hear absolutely NOTHING. :D

Anyweay, reasons:

* Being hot climate means many windows will be open, walls will be thin or have ventilation holes in it, no such thing as double glass. This means noises from outside get inside easier.

* Being a hot climate, there's always something around that makes noise, be it an airconditioner or a fan.

* Insects, wildlife etc make a lot of noise in rural areas.

Overall though when living outside of Bangkok and main urban areas, it's pretty nice! But of course it's entirely possible you don't agree and noise may be a problem for you. If this is the case, grab a taxi up Vip-Rangsit road to Don Muang. Easy. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I live in Songkhla province. The speaker equipped vans that crawl around the city adverstising the latest movies really p*ss me off. They usually start at 7am even on Sundays. The noise permeates my balcony doors and ruins my lie-in. :o

One thing I do when there is noise outside is turn up my music and drown it out.

It used to be very irritating when I was trying to meditate. Now I have learned to watch my reaction to the noise and let it go. Amazing , it works.

I am always amazed at the long distance buses. People can sleep through those very loud tv entertainment shows. They must practise blocking out the noise. One things baffles me a bit - why don't Thai people talk to their neighbour on the bus. It is not just me, I have witnessed people travelling 12 hours and not saying a word to the guy next to them, same on trains. When I make the first bit of conversation, sometimes they are really glad of the conversation, if not, I usually shut up.

To escape the noise, escape the large cities, and you might be lucky. I don't agree witht the "greng jai" theory when someone is upsetting their neighbours. Tell them to stop the racket.

Alternatively, go to the beach. Stay away from that shithole Pattaya. Can't understand why anyone goes there for any other reason apart from the cheap freelance girls. I have only ever met about 5 farangs who have been there for another reason. Much, much, much nicer beaches to go to.

Attack it with counter-noise from my hi-fi, but yeah, can get annoying.

Biggest thing I noticed when on holiday back in the UK was the noise levels, or complete lack of. Could sit in the garden at 1am and not hear a thing, only the occasional car going passed - and this is in a suburb!

Bangkok is oh, so different...

A few quiet country villages don't have this problem though. Lights off at 10am, nothing but the bug chorus to keep you entertained.

You can buy industrial earplugs for next to nothing

Where do you buy industrial earplugs in Thailand? I've tried web searches etc but cannot find a supplier to provide more than 28db protection. From my experience swimming earplugs/travellers etc are waste of time. My major noise problem has been cockerals. Noise level must be over 100db. Had to move out of the moo baan & rent a condo

hi'

I was using earplugs in Chiang Mai the nights when I really needed a deep sleep ...

the nights I was not using them, most of the time, I was up far too early ... always before

7am, because of the outside noise ...

people talking loud, kitchen's noises, bykes ..etc, and at night when came the week-end,

not a chance to be in the quiet before 2am, even with "new regulations" ...

noisy Thailand is ... :o but living :D

cheers

francois

As regards the noise

I'm afraid the only way to escape it is to leave Thailand or find an area with no electricity, no dogs and no chickens (cockrels). Does such a place exist in Thailand?

I have lived in 2 villages in my time and believe me, you do not escape the noise there either.

Nobody has told the cockrels that they are supposed to wait till dawn to start crowing and they usually start at 2am. Spose the bird flu has some uses. In some villages I think there are more cockrels than people.

Usually all the dogs come in season for making puppies at the same time and they are howling all night.

At 5 am the village headman will broadcast his message over loudspeakers to the village.

This is closely followed by people getting up and turning on their music. I'm sure that they must wonder what all those numbers are before MAX on the volume control. I think that they are just showing off that they have a music centre as the sound is SOooo distorted that they cannot possibly enjoy it.

Somebody mentioned "Greng Jai", meaning to be considerate of others.

Thai people are definitely generally very friendly, but probably the most inconsiderate people in the world.

You have to remember, you have a choice. The noise is part of lliving in Thailand and if you cannot put up with it you know what you have to do.

Thailand is a wonderful place but it aint paradise. I for one put up with the noise because ther are so many other wonderful aspects.

Regarding your comment

or perhaps less of an obsession to squeeze the maximum mpg at the expense of the environment

If you asked 100 Thais how many Kilometres per litre they get, 100 Thais will stare at you blankly. Maximum mpg is of no concern to them. Maintenance is almost unheard of. 2 words definitely do not appear in the Thai vocabulary "Economy" and "Safety"

If you asked 100 Thais how many Kilometres per litre they get, 100 Thais will stare at you blankly. Maximum mpg is of no concern to them. Maintenance is almost unheard of. 2 words definitely do not appear in the Thai vocabulary "Economy" and "Safety"

Well, since the gas gauge on my HK's dream is busted, she uses the odometer to know when to get gas. She knows exactly how much mileage she gets- if she's wrong, she'll be pushing that bike....

I also get asked for my mileage quite regularly- a lot of guys are interested in this when comparing new vehicles...And my shop has asked me twice when my truck was new, I think to help confirm everything was running okay. They asked me like they assumed I would know.

I get from 9-11 kpl, depending on my foot :o

Edited by Ajarn

One things baffles me a bit - why don't Thai people talk to their neighbour on the bus. It is not just me, I have witnessed people travelling 12 hours and not saying a word to the guy next to them, same on trains.

12-15 years ago I used to travel frequently on the overnight buses from BKK to Nakhon Phanom in Issan. What I found strange was that the passengers that did talk to one another would speak in Thai when leaving BKK. But soon as they woke up the next morning, usually around the hills of Sakhon Nakhon, they automatically spoke Lao with one another.

It was almost as though someone had pressed a dual language button on a remote.

:o

I believe it was the Phuket Gazette who published a National Geographic article about 4 month ago in which Phuket was voted to the "3rd ugliest island worldwide"; first I was unsure whether this related to the dumped waste around the island and in the sea.

Now that Phuket is getting a new 6-lane "Bypass Road" I think the noise polution is becoming a factor, too.

The traffic due to constructions and "developments" is getting worse and soon one can probably see more trucks than private cars on the road.

Nevertheless - I can now hear the crickets chirp :o

Where do you buy industrial earplugs in Thailand? I've tried web searches etc but cannot find a supplier to provide more than 28db protection. From my experience swimming earplugs/travellers etc are waste of time. My major noise problem has been cockerals. Noise level must be over 100db. Had to move out of the moo baan & rent a condo

I got a heap from a friend who works for Unical. Not sure what protection they have. I'll maaybe ask him the next time I speak to him.

Someone told me that 2-stroke motorcycle engines are in theory illegal in Thailand. Is this true? They have to be among the worst elements of noise pollution.

The issues like this come down to dealing with realities of the present situation...

First step is to enforce the already-excellent laws on the books.

Since consistent enforcement of anything, ever, has never occured, why should we think that's going to happen in the anywhere-near future?...

So, they want to ban 2-strokes.....It would surely make a difference, I think all would agree...

So, now what?

Give them 90 days grace period? That's kinda standard for these kinds of things, from what I've seen....

90 days later.....?

History says, the government always caves in. Why? Take your pick...

Gen. Puuyai says he won't enforce it for soldiers because soldiers are poor.

The Honda Dealers demand compensation for lost sales- and future lost sales.

The price of the legal 4-stroke bikes is close to a car's now...

A spontaneous rally by the political opposition will occur at Sanam Luang including bussed-in Kwai Lek drivers posing as bikers...All in an attempt to destabalize the government.

The Prime Minister owns the import rights for 2-stroke motorcycles...

And I'm sure each of you could add many more reasons why the government caved-in....

Another 6 months grace, then...... Luum Leew!

I love Thailand. Just go with the flow, and everything works out in the end :o

The new Thailand.

First make it as tacky looking as possible! This is very important.

Make sure it has absolutly no class, very very loud and bright too.

Are they all deaf?

The more florescent lights the better, add to this plenty of TVs and radio blasting, add as many toxic cigarettes, caffeine drinks, some whisky and plenty of plastic bags (3 per item) and red dyed chemical meat.

There you have it! And if you set up a concert stage have the brightest lights shinning from behind right into the audiences eyes all evening.

This is the new way for modern Thailand.

Crash and burn is the only way to change this class of trash it looks like! :o

Earplugs are certainly very useful but I find them uncomfortable if worn for more than a few hours at a time. The natural noises like cockerels and cicadas I find tolerable; less so mad dogs barking at nothing. Worst times are on the streets and those long-distance buses with their obnoxious movies or puerile TV shows. Trains don't suffer this problem, although the antiquated track and rolling stock make a dreadful clatter. If one can afford, travelling by air averts much of this long-distance misery.

I still sense the Thais crave noise more than their poorer south-east Asian neighbours but they are such a unique people they will always attract foreign visitors and residents.

Boy, is the West quiet after Thailand! And the trains and buses are oh-so-smooth. But -- in my old age -- I'm lapping it up before returning to the cauldron.

I don't think you can escape it even if you go somewhere non-touristy or even with no electricity. Hasn't anyone here ever been to a large funeral or temple event? Everybody talking all at once at the highest levels possible. Add in the screaming kids with their noise making toys (be it some high tech toy or a can on a string) and the decibel level must be high. I should take a meter with me sometime! Weddings are another one, but at weddings you must add into the people noise the sound of some loud music or the puyaiban's inane chatter being broadcast at intense levels out of huge speakers. What really amazes me at these events is to turn around and see some 4 year old sleeping like a log surrounded by all this noise.

Nature noises don't bother me much anymore, I am used to the ten million frogs croaking at once during the rainy season, the neighbors chickens going off at midnight, the barking dogs. It's the noise our neighbor's kid makes when he plops her on the motorbike and she honks the horn non-stop for 15 minutes that usually makes me crazy. :o

BTW, hubby says that (at least here) roosters crow at midnight and when the tide changes. How do they know??