Expats: Have You Registered With Your Embassy?

Jingthing

Expats: have you registered with your embassy?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived here for almost eight years and haven't registered. Thought about it once or twice and thought why bother? I'm sure they have absolutely zero interest in me and my well being ( and to some extent, why should they?) . I owe them nothing and they owe me nothing. I mean if worst came to worst and I kicked the bucket they are going to be of little use to me. Besides, my missus here would take care of my remains and she can do what she likes with them. As for people back home, as time goes by my ties grow weaker and weaker. I'm not sure if I'll be missed there either.

Even if I am still extant and say, got into a spot of bother (touch wood, I haven't yet) I couldn't imagine the Embassy staff tearing themselves away from their gins and tonics to bother with me.

I've got my life here now with the missus. We've got lots and lots of stuff going on to keep us out of trouble.

I don't think it a bad idea to register, but on the other hand I don't feel compelled to either.

Well, the reasons I would register are mainly a way for them to contact relatives if needed, and also in a Thailand national emergency to send reports about suggested action or evacuation.

I also don't think its a bad thing for them to know how many expats there are here; maybe they can get more staff and budget. For example, I think we need an American consulate in Pattaya.

I do understand why people who are "on the run" don't register.

Edited by Jingthing

So I take it from the above that it's not a requirement? But rather a good idea?

It's not something I have ever heard of, let alone contemplated, but I am certainly not on the run.

I have to go and get a new (UK) passport in the next few weeks so will ask about it when I am there.

Yes I have registered my family, Thai wife and our 2 children. In my case with the British embassy, I have received various letters from them when unusual circumstances have arisen. I make a point of confirming my address and details every year. Having witnessed the occasional hasty re-patriation of Brits and their families from various countries in the course of a previous occupation, I know for a fact that simply registering with the embassy can make the difference between safety for your family or waiting in a panic stricken line at some overcrowded airport/docks. Yes I know it's all a bit "doomsday scenario" but then so is life insurance!

I registered several years ago and have not bothered to re-register. They have local area 'wardens' I think, but I am not sure what a warden would do (in the USA, they manage prisons!). What disaster might they warn me about, that I would not already have read and commented on, here on ThaiVisa? If there is a military overthrow of the existing govt., I doubt the American embassy would help. Nothing like the German consul at Nanking during the massive gang-rape by the Japanese, 1938-39.

The only American consulate is in Chiang Mai, a nine hour bus ride from the embassy in BKK. It's a real consulate general, staffed by diplomatic professionals.

Yes I have registered my family, Thai wife and our 2 children. In my case with the British embassy, I have received various letters from them when unusual circumstances have arisen. I make a point of confirming my address and details every year. Having witnessed the occasional hasty re-patriation of Brits and their families from various countries in the course of a previous occupation, I know for a fact that simply registering with the embassy can make the difference between safety for your family or waiting in a panic stricken line at some overcrowded airport/docks. Yes I know it's all a bit "doomsday scenario" but then so is life insurance!

Yes. I have too. They ring me up every year to verify details. If push came to shove though I'm not sure they can or will be of much use

Yes - The Australian government have a pretty good online system to register through DFAT I think. They do a good job for what it is. During the Tsunami they rang my next of Kin (parents down in OZ) to see if I was OK when they couldn't get in contact with me.

May come in handy at a later point....

Just tried to register with the British embassy but the online registration system is down at the moment :o

You never know, it could come in handy when we have the next coup and they have to airlift us to safety by helicopter from the embassy roof :D

I laughed at that image of the helicopter on the roof, until I remembered interviewing one of the US Marines who proved he was there that day - April 30, 1975. Mothers were handing him their babies, knowing they would never see their children again. Not humorous.

I registered with the Canadian Embassy a couple years ago, never heard squat from them, not even an acknowledgment of the registration. Guess if they can't be bothered with me, I can't be bothered with them (anymore).

Being half Bermudian and half Monegasque but growing up in the UK and France, working primarily in Singapore for an American company but hanging out mostly in Phuket and Bali, it’s difficult to know which Embassy and where I should register. But I’m going to have a think about it.

The embassy is too far away otherwise I would. Why do it? In the last country I was in they explained that if I lost my passport and was registered I could get a new passport the next day. If I wasn't registered it could take up to two weeks. That was 10 years ago and with today's improvements in communication that may no longer be the case.

I registered with the Canadian Embassy a couple years ago, never heard squat from them, not even an acknowledgment of the registration. Guess if they can't be bothered with me, I can't be bothered with them (anymore).

What did you expect them to do, send you flowers and a card on your birthday? Have you ever taken the time to read the website? Go to the website and read.

We offer a registration service for all Canadians travelling or living abroad. This service is provided so that we can contact and assist you in an emergency in a foreign country, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of a family emergency at home.

Registration is voluntary, and personal information provided on the registration form is used in accordance with the Privacy Act. Under the Privacy Act, personal information may be disclosed in certain cases—for instance, where disclosure would clearly benefit the client, where the public interest clearly outweighs any invasion of privacy, or pursuant to a court order.

Did you key in the correct information or even update it? They provide an explicit note;

PLEASE NOTE: Please be advised that unless otherwise notified by yourself or a member of your family, the Canadian government office will consider your registration as formally departed on the date selected as the anticipated departure date on your original registration.

They probably think that you left.

For those hesitating on registering, don't. There are specific contingency plans agreed to by various governments particularly between NZ, Aus, Canada and the USA. Canada relies heavily on the Australian government and the information Canadians provide will allow the Australians to evacuate Canadians should the need arise. These governments have learnt from the tsunami. The US government plans also include relying on Australia as a safe evacuation destination. The Australians will be relying upon the other governments to give them the roster of evacuees. The US is currently so over extended they couldn't get to anyone for many days. You need only look at the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Believe it or not, they even have had drills and exercises to get this down properly. Those folks aren't all sitting around drink g&ts.

Here is the website for the U S Dept. of State registration: https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/index.aspx

It took several minutes online, but I feel it was worth it. No SSN for the IRS to trace (and there are IRS disclosure limits on what they can search). You can authorize your next of kin to be notified, and medical representatives.

I do not trust my govt. half as much as I did when I worked for them, but it is the only govt. I have.