Good Inexpensive Japanese Restaurant?

BugJackBaron

I haven't tried any Japanese food here because the only restaurants

I have seen are outrageously expensive - like that one in ROYAL GARDEN MALL!

So is there a REASONABLY PRICED (like in the Phillipenes) but good place for

Sushi and Sachimi?

Sidenote: I have seen such a thing in Chiang Mai so there is no reason why this is

impossible..

Sushi and Sachimi?

Sidenote: I have seen such a thing in Chiang Mai so there is no reason why this is

impossible..

If you mean Zen, you can order from the set menu, and it shouldn't be too expensive. You might want to try Fuji at Big C for a cheaper meal, but I think Zen is much better. And it is really stupid to eat cheap sashimi in Thailand, because the local fresh fish isn't very good eaten raw. If you want good sashimi, you're going to fork out for it in Thailand, unless you like eating bottom-feeders. You might also just get your sushi/sashimi at Tesco and eat takeaway.

Sushi and Sachimi?

impossible..

Fuji in Carrefour on Pattaya Klang is O.K. However the best Japanese restaurants are in BKK.

There is a small (shophouse) Japanese restaurant on soi DayNight 2 (across from TukCom) that was pretty good last time I was there.

Hard to see though. If you turn on to soi DayNight 2 from Pattaya Tai (between the Krung Thai bank and TukCom), about 100 meters down on the left side is the restaurant.

Sushi and Sachimi?

impossible..

If you mean Zen, you can order from the set menu, and it shouldn't be too expensive. You might want to try Fuji at Big C for a cheaper meal, but I think Zen is much better. And it is really stupid to eat cheap sashimi in Thailand, because the local fresh fish isn't very good eaten raw. If you want good sashimi, you're going to fork out for it in Thailand, unless you like eating bottom-feeders. You might also just get your sushi/sashimi at Tesco and eat takeaway.

I was afraid of that... I guess that means that Tuna and Salmon are not fish that are locally caught in Thailand :o

I have seen one or two  "fusion" Korean/Japanese restauarants in that little "Korean Alley" at the start

of Jomtien beach but as there are never any customers I decided not to go in.

Been to every Japanese restaurant in town ... as I like the food, natch.

There are no cheap ones, same as any other country ... Japanese restaurants are always expensive :o

Naka.

There is a small (shophouse) Japanese restaurant on soi DayNight 2 (across from TukCom) that was pretty good last time I was there.

Hard to see though. If you turn on to soi DayNight 2 from Pattaya Tai (between the Krung Thai bank and TukCom), about 100 meters down on the left side is the restaurant.

A very pleasant place, serviceable food (I like it better than the chains), good vibe (lots of Japanese expats), but this is not a good place for sushi! They have it, but nothing special (below average actually).

Slightly off topic, but i was in Sri Racha last week with the wife, and we decide to try one of those small Japanese restaurants.

It was like walking into Japan. A group of Japanese manual workers (judging by their clothes) were getting drunk, sitting round a wooden table, and everything was Japanese, including the TV, and menu. No Thai, no English.

All the Thai waitresses spoke Japanese, but fortunately, also Thai.

So we sort of stumbled our way through an order of sashimi, sushi, Mitsu soup, salad and two carafes of Saki. All the food was freshly prepared by a Japanese cook standing in front of us at the other side of the bar.

It was all very delicious, and not expensive.

An enjoyable adventure to be repeated next time I'm down that way.

And we were treated very well by all the staff, including the Japanese owner/manager.

Slightly off topic, but i was in Sri Racha last week with the wife, and we decide to try one of those small Japanese restaurants.

It was like walking into Japan. A group of Japanese manual workers (judging by their clothes) were getting drunk, sitting round a wooden table, and everything was Japanese, including the TV, and menu. No Thai, no English.

All the Thai waitresses spoke Japanese, but fortunately, also Thai.

So we sort of stumbled our way through an order of sashimi, sushi, Mitsu soup, salad and two carafes of Saki. All the food was freshly prepared by a Japanese cook standing in front of us at the other side of the bar.

It was all very delicious, and not expensive.

An enjoyable adventure to be repeated next time I'm down that way.

And we were treated very well by all the staff, including the Japanese owner/manager.

Had not heard about that. Will have to give it a try some time.

Naka.

Sushi and Sachimi?

impossible..

There's no good cheap Japanese restaurants in the Philippines (you should learn to spell that). The cheaper places which claim to be Japanese are merely a Filipino brand of Japanese food and not even close to the real thing. Filipino sushi is really bad. The places which serve the real stuff are expensive.

Edited by tropo

That is what I though although I haven't been there for a while. When I used to visit the Philippines, Japanese food was just a waste of money.

Say what you will, to me, Zen and Fuji are a godsend! :o

OK I haven't been to the Philippines(spell THAT!) since 2000

but the restaurant in Manilla was good. Can't remember the name or price exactly but

it wasn't too bad. Not sure how authentic it was. The only place I have

really tried Japanese food was in Korea. Sometimes good but again probably not the real

thing.

I will give Zen and Fuji a try. I haven't yet because in general I distrust all chains.

I like to eat out a lot when I am in Pattaya and fuji at big C is one of my favorite places, the food I would describe as reasonablely priced, not cheep, it must be good as every time I have been I have had to queue for a table.

BB