Natural Birth After C-section

alex_4000

my wife had our first baby in bangkok 4 years ago, delivered in samitivej. we opted for natural birth but had to have an emergency c-section.

this time (number 2 is due in june/july) we are having a hard time finding a hospital/doctor who will not insist on a c-section... we have done a lot of research and cant believe the doctors will actually tell us the myth of the risk being too high blah blah and categorically rule out natural birth.

we have been to many places, including sirijaj, thonburi2 and BNH, but same story everywhere. we dont want to spend big bucks so top top end is not an option. since we are both farang with insufficient thai language skills, and cant handle delivery rooms behind just curtains, very basic places are ruled out, too.

please, has somebody had natural birth in bangkok after a c-section and where?

Won't be much help to you for finding a doctor, but to share an experience - my first son was also born by emergency c-section. When I got pregnant with my second son I found a wonderful doctor (in Chiang Mai) who agreed to let me try natural. On one condition. Because of the danger of uterine rupture I was not allowed to have ANY pain relief. I needed to be aware of everything that was going on inside my body so that i could accurately describe to her what i was feeling, if need be. Well, need was, and after 15 hours of labour with no real progress I called her in and made the decision with my husband to have another c-section. After delivery she told me that when she cut into my uterus it opened like a broken zipper and she was pretty convinced that had I continued down the natural route two people may not have emerged from the delivery room alive.

I know it has nothing to do with finding a doctor, and perhaps my situation is unusual, but it's something to be aware of, i think - the pain issue and what it means.

Anyway, if I can find a doctor in Chiang Mai, surely you'll eventually find one here in Bangkok. Don't give up :o

Good LUck!

tT

VBAC friendly doctors are hard to come by here. The only doctors that I have found that support it are Dr. Sankiat at Samitivej Sukhumvit and Dr. Nopadol at Bumrumgrad.

Keep informed and stand your ground. Research shows VBACs to be safe 99%+ of the time.

Lots of my friends have used this doctor at Bumrungrad - as you can see it is one of his special clinical interests ...

Dr. Nopadol Saropala

Speciality: OB/GYN (Women)

Language: Spoken : English,Thai

Qualifications: Medical School: University of London, UK, 1983

Board of Certifications :

- UK Board of OB/GYN, 1987

Associate Professor, Mahidol University, Thailand

Fellowships: MRCOG, UK

Special Clinical Interests: Labor Care, Vaginal Birth after Cesarean Section.

Day Time Location

Mon 09:00 - 16:00 Women's Center

Tue 09:00 - 16:00 Women's Center

Wed 09:00 - 16:00 Women's Center

Thu 09:00 - 16:00 Women's Center

Fri 09:00 - 12:00 Women's Center

Sat 13:00 - 17:00 Women's Center

Sun 13:00 - 17:00 Women's Center