Toyota Camry 2.4 V Defect Or Problem

Hello,

Just received my new 2008 Camry 2.4V Navigator about 3 weeks ago and noticed it's drifting slightly off to the left on flat / unpitched roads. Saw the techs at Lanna Toyota yesterday and queried it. Was told that they can't check it / repair it until they learn how to do so! Note: I recieved the 4th Camry in the north here and the other owners (dealing with Lanna Toyota) are also experiencing the same problem of drifting. Perhaps there's a batch of 2.4 V's that need attention... For the price of them, they should be perfect for at least 3 years (Re: see what they cost in the US, UK, or Aus... Like, US$ 6,000 - 8,000 more here!!!!)

Any other owners have the same problem? :D:o

Hello,

Just received my new 2008 Camry 2.4V Navigator about 3 weeks ago and noticed it's drifting slightly off to the left on flat / unpitched roads. Saw the techs at Lanna Toyota yesterday and queried it. Was told that they can't check it / repair it until they learn how to do so! Note: I recieved the 4th Camry in the north here and the other owners (dealing with Lanna Toyota) are also experiencing the same problem of drifting. Perhaps there's a batch of 2.4 V's that need attention... For the price of them, they should be perfect for at least 3 years (Re: see what they cost in the US, UK, or Aus... Like, US$ 6,000 - 8,000 more here!!!!)

when you spend a good amount of money on a new car you expect there to be no problems whatsoever. but if there was something small, you would expect the company to be able to fix it. <deleted> they have not learnt how to fix it??? that boggles my mind.

you should of gone with Honda.

could be a faulty batch of tyres ,or the tracking or wheel alignment could be out

Laze,

Tyres and wheel alignment are fine - those things they CAN check. It's the upper end hi tech equipment that they don't have the expertise NOR the bloomin' manuals for. Hence, my grumbling about the huge price disparity with other countries.

Hello,

when you spend a good amount of money on a new car you expect there to be no problems whatsoever. but if there was something small, you would expect the company to be able to fix it. <deleted> they have not learnt how to fix it??? that boggles my mind.

you should of gone with Honda.

Oh may very well be correct there...

• 2 weeks later...
My friend's new 2.0 Camry in Malaysia has the same problem. The car is made in Thailand & it also drifts to the left.

Ahhh... so it happens with the 2.0 as well!!! Hmmm, wonder when they (Toyota) are going to fix them????? Once again, the cost of the car is WAY too much to have a car with these problems....

Hi,

Bought a german brand new car ones, had a similar problem. Rotated the tires and..presto the car went to the other side.

Even though the tires were brandnew and made by michelin there were differences.

Car manufaturers buy in bulk . The put wheels under the car with tires from different batches.

I got a set of new tires from the tire manufaturer, problem solved.

It could aslo be that the factury alignement apparatus is not set up right, the fact that you are not having the only car with that problem could be proof of that.

It is a powersteering assisted car, it could also be that the powersteering is not centered, meaning it will want to push the car in to a direction. All not very noticable, but it will make a slight difference...

Good luck, i am sure you will get it sorted out.

Hi,

Bought a german brand new car ones, had a similar problem. Rotated the tires and..presto the car went to the other side.

Even though the tires were brandnew and made by michelin there were differences.

Car manufaturers buy in bulk . The put wheels under the car with tires from different batches.

I got a set of new tires from the tire manufaturer, problem solved.

It could aslo be that the factury alignement apparatus is not set up right, the fact that you are not having the only car with that problem could be proof of that.

It is a powersteering assisted car, it could also be that the powersteering is not centered, meaning it will want to push the car in to a direction. All not very noticable, but it will make a slight difference...

Good luck, i am sure you will get it sorted out.

It could also be some electronic stabilisation bits...

Hello,

I thought all right hand drive cars drifted slightly to the left if you let go of the wheel, i was told it was incase you ever passed out/had a heart attack or something that way the car would not drift into on coming traffic. That's what my driving instructor told me anyway. :D

there's any number of reasons for that problem....but the real problem is with the dealer....can't deal with it until they've LEARNED it???@!!!!!**??

This means they have no mechanics at your dealership, only fitters and I wouldn't leave my car in the hands of fitters.

a mechanic should have enough knowledge and training to DIAGNOSE the problem regardless of whether it is a new model or not.....and as a customer there is no way you should accept such a lame excuse.....i suggest you fill the cat with dry grass, douse it in petrol slip it into drive , set fire to it, put a brick on the accelerator and point it at the local showroom...they deserve no better! (To any over zealous moderators - this is a JOKE designed to emphasise a point!)

Edited by wilko

I have the same car, although it's 8-9 months old and done 5500km now. Can't say I've noticed anything on mine.

Bendix,

My car is a 2008 modl, yours would be a 2007. Any differences?? Haven't done the research yet...

Hello,

I thought all right hand drive cars drifted slightly to the left if you let go of the wheel, i was told it was incase you ever passed out/had a heart attack or something that way the car would not drift into on coming traffic. That's what my driving instructor told me anyway. :D

I believe there is some truth to this....it is very difficult to detect camber on a road....they all MUST have some camber....it may be that driving a new car you have become aware of something that was present in your old car but you'd just got used to it....