Pattaya Taxi Meters

LKIBA

has anyone tried the pattaya taxi meter cars yet and if so what are the prices like compared to bkk meters ??

No, but a friend of mine tried No. 6. Refusal and abuse. We tried calling the local police and the tourist police on various numbers not one reply.

My tactic in BKK was (good old days) to tell them clearly, after they started driving that I would only pay what was on the meter. They always switched the thing on very quickly. Cab drivers and doormen the world over are scam. Old one from my father, and he could know hahaha

I was sitting in one of my favourite bars on the Pattaya Beach Road (name of bar withheld for obvious reasons) and I saw two Korean female tourists approach a yellow 'taxi meter' regarding the cost of hire to Pattaya Nua bus station.

They were quoted 150 baht.

I thought that this was quite good because these days I have a real problem even chartering a Songthaew for less than 150 baht (no air con & insane driver when chartered).

Maybe the 'meter taxi' is not so bad?

What's 'quoted' and what's 'charged' once you reach your destination might be two very different animals?

While I hope this is true, after being ripped off myself, I'm weary of the mafia wolves in sheep's clothing, no matter how musical their voices may sound.

Does anyone know if they Baht busses are behaving themselves. I was in town a few months ago and didn't have any problems with fares, unlike the time prior. I hope this is still the case.

Cab drivers and doormen the world over are scam.

That's a ridiculous generalization.

My father was his whole life with the Royal xxx Navy and traveled absolutely anywhere, I have no reason to doubt him. I guess he talked in general, but ridicules, no. You are not a cab driver or doorman are you?

I would question the wisdom in getting into a taxi that you just forced to use the taxi-meter...

I loved the "taxis" in Pattaya and I had no problem with them asking a set price before the trip started. Actually I feel more at ease when I know the price in advance then if I have to looking at a taximeter counting --- fast. To me 250 baht is a fair price, and the 100 baht (and my wife never managed to haggle a price of 150 baht from big-c til jomtien - grats on that one...) diffrence for a aircon car with good seats and seat belts ... well it sounds ok to me.

Cab drivers and doormen the world over are scam.

That's a ridiculous generalization.

My father was his whole life with the Royal xxx Navy and traveled absolutely anywhere, I have no reason to doubt him. I guess he talked in general, but ridicules, no. You are not a cab driver or doorman are you?

The number of 'fake' doormen who hover outside of Delhi (India) hotels is legion.

I think London Black-Cab drivers are the best in the world and the most honest.

I think London Black-Cab drivers are the best in the world and the most honest.

Find hiring the Baht Bus privately they are more reasonable on price than the meter taxi's, but obviously not such a comfortable ride. Have done this a few times when raining and need to get somewhere. Actaully find the meter taxi's and their drivers lounging outside places like the Avenue make the place look untidy :)-

Second the comment about Black Cab drivers being the best ! in the world.