Aus Travel Insurance Help?!

Hey guys,

just received email from DIAC regarding travel insurance. My partner is already in Aus with me on a 3 month tourist visa, just applied online for a 3 month extension. Received an email back saying that she needs a chest X-Ray to check for TB, as expected.

BUT, they also want to see a copy of her travel insurance which covers health/medical costs or health insurance. She dosn't have any. Where can I get some travel insurance from so that she can stay another three months. I'm not sure if we can apply for some here with an Australian company now that she is already here, or if we have to do an online application from a Thai insurance company. Were DIAC expecting that she already had travel insurance from the beginning, because I don't remember it was ever a REQUIREMENT just a recommendation.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wasn't 100% how I should go about this :o

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

just received email from DIAC regarding travel insurance. My partner is already in Aus with me on a 3 month tourist visa, just applied online for a 3 month extension. Received an email back saying that she needs a chest X-Ray to check for TB, as expected.

BUT, they also want to see a copy of her travel insurance which covers health/medical costs or health insurance. She dosn't have any. Where can I get some travel insurance from so that she can stay another three months. I'm not sure if we can apply for some here with an Australian company now that she is already here, or if we have to do an online application from a Thai insurance company. Were DIAC expecting that she already had travel insurance from the beginning, because I don't remember it was ever a REQUIREMENT just a recommendation.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wasn't 100% how I should go about this :o

Thanks in advance.

nicholasmerwood

No problem applying for ‘Thai’ travel insurance on line.

Please apply via : http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Thank you

When my husband and I were living in Australia on a Retirement Visa we had to carry insurance. We got it through MediBank Private there in Australia and I believe it was called Overseas Visitor Coverage. I am not to sure what it cost these days but if I remember right you can take it out for various lengths of time.

Just check online for all their information at: medibankprivate.com.au

Hope this helps

She's here on a 3 month tourist visa which has nearly expired (g-burns ...you actually helped me getting it granted through the forums).

There is NO 'no extension' condition applied to her visa and I have already checked this in her passport and double checked by directly contacting immigration.

I have succesfuly booked her chest x-ray for tommorow (which kinda sucks because she had one in Thailand which she didn't need before she came here which was negative for any problems)....costs $80 AUD,...cost her 60Baht in Thailand haha.

As far as the insurance goes....i guess i'll just get the best quote and go with that.

Sweet...all sorted guys. This forum never fails. Thanks everyone

Nick

P.S - Can't wait till all this legal paperwork is over and finished with and we can just live happily together....and I know we still have a long way to go.

Wow medibank private insurance is expensive....for me anyway

ranges from basic = $87.85/month

to essential = $171.75/month

optimal = $271.10

May not seem like heaps but on top of cost of chest X-ray ($80ish), extension fee payable to DIAC ($215), and everything else....

I mean she is young healthy etc etc...i know we can't avoid accidents but all we want is cheapo to satisfy visa requirements.. I might get a quote from some other ppl, see if we can knock it down :o

Oh my f*#@!*g god after all that, immi emailed me back and told me that they requested the insurance by mistake. They don't need to see a copy of an insurance policy......and I was just about to pay for it too! Lucky I left it for a few days (being a student means anything you don't have to pay for...dosn't get paid for)

We got the X-ray done yesterday, costs $80 which includes a digital photo being taken and the results being posted out to you (which I believe you cannot open and need to send directly to immigration in a Hobart office). $80 i thought was ok, i'm lucky i didn't score that $200 parking fine for parking where I did though haha...blood hay street.