1 Year D.l. Expired For 10 Years

I somehow doubt it :o

Within 1 year of expiry seems to be the collective wisdom, but I've never seen it written officially.

That said, the documents required for getting the 5 year are pretty much the same as the 1 year so I suppose the worst that can happen is you get another 1 year.

Edited by Crossy

My friend showed me his new D.L last night, it's a credit card type, rather than laminated paper...

Has anything else changed?

I'm about to re-new my D.L and have to get the dreaded letter from the embassy - is it still needed?

My license was at least 8 years out of date and they were quite happy to use it instead of starting from scratch. They gave me 5 years on the new one.

It should be noted that my old license had been kept up to date for many years before I stopped using it. Also I went to a very small government office outside of Chiang Rai. Results could vary greatly, one would expect.

My friend showed me his new D.L last night, it's a credit card type, rather than laminated paper...

Has anything else changed?

I'm about to re-new my D.L and have to get the dreaded letter from the embassy - is it still needed?

When I got my 5 year in Pathum Thani they wanted everything that I needed for a 1 year except my UK licence.

So yes (at least in that office) you need the dreaded (and bl00dy expensive) embassy letter :o Remember if you have a work permit you don't need the letter.