Middle Aged British Woman

libya 115

MIDDLE-AGED BRIT WOMAN FOUND DEAD IN HER PATTAYA APARTMENT

A middle-aged, British citizen, who had been living alone, was found dead in her room at Niran Grand Condo, Pattaya, on May 7, 2008. She had apparently been in the process of phoning for help before she died.

Pattaya investigator, Pol.Lt.Col Banjob Khao-sa-ard, was notified at 00.25am on May 7, about the death and accordingly sent a police team and Sawang Boriboon rescue to investigate. Arriving at the condo, the team discovered the middle-aged British woman, Mrs. Barbara Lesley Fordham (65), who they estimate had been dead for about 5 hours.

She was sitting on the edge of the bed with her head on her knees, still holding the handset of the landline phone in her left hand. She was clad in a flower patterned dressing gown. Officials noticed many bruises and wounds over her body, which they suspected were disease symptoms, but they do not consider there was any foul play involved.

Her neighbour told police that Mrs. Fordham had been renting a room and staying on her own without anyone to take care of her. She had regularly been to Pattaya Memorial Hospital for check-ups, due to her diseases and middle age. The witness said that she had knocked on Mrs. Fordham's door on May 6, but as there was no answer had opened the door to find Mrs. Fordham dead.

Officials assume that Mrs. Fordham had been trying to call her relative or a friend at the time of her death, but she had fainted and collapsed with the phone in her hand and subsequently died. Officials will send the body for autopsy and the British Embassy will be informed accordingly.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: May 9th 2008

Edited by libya 115

...Another tragic case of someone dying alone.How they end up like this is probably a long story.I hope that anyone in such a situation would,try to make contact to Pattaya Alchoholics anonymous if they are on the booze..Can someone pin info on Thaivisa where to seek help, ie something similar to samaritans.Is it operational in Thailand? I know this lady might not have been on booze or anything but would just like to raise the point again of support for vulnerable people living in Thailand.I for one would willingly give time for such an organisation.

Edited by dee123

such a sad story and what a lonely way to die. the poor woman was obviously ill (if the reports are to be trusted) and i cant imagine what must have been going through her head at the time.

rest in peace Barbara.

RIP. yes very sad, but as jonniebkk states there is and will continue to be many, it is still sad though.

There are reports almost every week of some elderly farang being found dead in his apartment or hotel room of natural causes by the cleaning lady (after lying there for a week and stinking up the place). The only difference is that they never made it to the phone and that they are usually men. It is a little sad for someone to have to die alone however :o

Yes, it is sad to die alone, however, it sounds as if she made her choice by coming to live in Thailand alone.

But if its any consolation, I am sure she would have been pleased to hear that she was described as being middle-aged :o

I have said it before and I will say it again. Old people dying of natural causes is not NEWS. Can you imagine if every elderly death in South Florida or another retirement community made the newspaper as news? It is absurd. The local papers need to get a good OBIT section for these announcements. BTW, since when is age 65 MIDDLE aged?

Edited by Jingthing

I have said it before and I will say it again. Old people dying of natural causes is not NEWS. Can you imagine if every elderly death in South Florida or another retirement community made the newspaper as news? It is absurd. The local papers need to get a good OBIT section for these announcements. BTW, since when is age 65 MIDDLE aged?

I don't know, but I like it :o .

This is very sad though, RIP Barbara.

Today people with a healthy lifestyle like myself should reach 100 years without any problems.

My father was 92 when he died last year but he smoked 50 cigarettes a day for 60 years. The doctors couldnt believe it when I told them.

I dont smoke and I drink very light so I think I will call myself middleaged when I'm 70...

Today I'm only 43 and in my late teens... :o

I would rather die alone in Thailand. Than alone in the USA.

In the USA if you are single and a "middle aged man." Even if you have a million dollars worth of assets. You are unlikely to have much companionship. Especially if you don't have children. In Thailand you can have as much companionship as you want when you want it.

I prefer to die having lived out my last years in Thailand rather than the USA.