Phuket Immigration Office

geoffphuket

Immigration still demand a bank statement, but does it matter what the balance is if it shows a regular income of 40K and a letter from the consulate confirms it. I don't want to keep 400K on deposit, which was required under the old regulations.

I've posted this question, hopefully to hear from other members who have just renewed their O visa on the basis of marriage to a Thai, showing 40K Baht / month income.....IN PHUKET I know other regions of Thailand have their own interpretation of the rules

geoffphuket

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am interested in an answer to this question. The rules on the Phuket Immigration web site are not so clear. It states the 40K income requirement, and also states the 400K in bank. It does not say OR. For the past 2 years I've given proof of income AND 400 K in bank (for 3 months) just to be on the safe side. I would prefer not to tie up 400K in the bank for the 3 months, but don't want to take the chance the the officer gets 'difficult' and turns down my application if no 400K...

I too am interested in an answer to this question. The rules on the Phuket Immigration web site are not so clear. It states the 40K income requirement, and also states the 400K in bank. It does not say OR. For the past 2 years I've given proof of income AND 400 K in bank (for 3 months) just to be on the safe side. I would prefer not to tie up 400K in the bank for the 3 months, but don't want to take the chance the the officer gets 'difficult' and turns down my application if no 400K...

Yes, we're both in the same situation. The missing 'OR' in their literature concerns me as well. Lets hope someone will clarify the matter.

I remember a mate of mine in this situation said that phuket immi were a law unto themselves and wanted both.. Even tho thats not the rules.

I will see if I can get any exact info but I remember him grumbling as he was all set up for one of them and want for both of them, which way round it was I honestly cant remember.

Also why not give them a call.. If you get a good answer you can then go forward on it.. A bad answer and your no worse off.

I remember a mate of mine in this situation said that phuket immi were a law unto themselves and wanted both.. Even tho thats not the rules.

I will see if I can get any exact info but I remember him grumbling as he was all set up for one of them and want for both of them, which way round it was I honestly cant remember.

Also why not give them a call.. If you get a good answer you can then go forward on it.. A bad answer and your no worse off.

Thanks for the reply. I might call in the office sometime next week, the weather in Phuket is just appalling at the moment. I really don't think telephoning them would produce a satisfactory or clear answer. What I'd really hoped for, was to hear from someone who'd just done their extension and could tell their version of events. I've got until August which is still a long way off, but it's annoying me keeping 400k on deposit earning 0.5% interest. I suppose at the end of the day I'll end up playing safe, same as LivnginKata and show both 400K deposit and 40k/month income :o

Did mine a few weeks ago.

I did both just to be sure as it was my first extension but the 400k had not been in there for the 3 months and they seemed more interested in the monthly foriegn transfers but who knows.

My situation is I work off shore am under 50 married to a Thai. The first guy gave me a flat NO when he asked if I was working in Thailand and when I told him I worked offshore and transfer my money in he referred me to the Captain who ummed and aahhed a lot but once he saw the transfers gave me the "under consideration" stamp and extended this for 2 months becasue I told him I have to go off shore before the initial mmonth was up - very nice of him.

I was waiting to see if I get approval for the one year before I posted and gave my experience becasue it was quite an unecessary ordeal but in the end we were all chums and having a bit of a joke. if you want to talk about it off list you can contact me.

Cheers.

Thanks for that. Sounds much as I expected. Think I'll just offer the income paperwork, and hold the 400K info in reserve. See how it goes. If the officer insists on the 400K, then I'll just produce that paperwork out of my bag.

I'm not due to renew until December 2008, so if anyone (Geoffphuket ?) has any more experince to add to this topic then please let us all know, thanks.

Thanks for that. Sounds much as I expected. Think I'll just offer the income paperwork, and hold the 400K info in reserve. See how it goes. If the officer insists on the 400K, then I'll just produce that paperwork out of my bag.

I'm not due to renew until December 2008, so if anyone (Geoffphuket ?) has any more experince to add to this topic then please let us all know, thanks.

I was thinking along exactly the same lines. Of course it won't help us financially this year, but if they don't ask for the bank statement, next year we'll know better ...unless everything has changed again by then :o

I will try to keep this thread updated, but August is a long way off, so I apologise in advance if I forget.

geoffphuket

I've got my third extension coming up in June and was told point blank that the 400K in the bank that I used before was useless as this time they want proof of a 40K salary and taxes paid. So I'll let you know how I get on. I spent the 400k on home improvements and could bring in some more from abroad but won't unless I have to.

I really don't appreciate these shifting goalposts.

Ok, To answer my own question I called in at the immigration office today and asked to speak to the captain. His reply was that they now want to see 400K bank deposit AND the 40K month income....nothing less than that will be accepted. :o

I'm just the messenger here, so please don't flame me. If anyone doubts the information they can telephone the immigration office (in Phuket) and ask to speak to the captain themselves. :D 076 221905

Ok, that's what I expected. What did they say about the 3 months ? I guess if you ask then they will just say 3 months. Oh well, situation normal, AFU. But other area offices don't insist on this, according to the Immigration Section of Thai Visa. Phuket Immigration a law unto them self.

Ok, that's what I expected. What did they say about the 3 months ? I guess if you ask then they will just say 3 months. Oh well, situation normal, AFU. But other area offices don't insist on this, according to the Immigration Section of Thai Visa. Phuket Immigration a law unto them self.

Sorry, I didn't bother asking about the 3 month rule; I think the emphasis is on the 40k letter of income from the consulate/embassy, and a bank statement showing 400K. Last year they threw away the copies I'd made of my bank book, saying they weren't needed, so they'd no idea how long the money had been there.

I'd set my heart on buying a new motorbike this morning, but that's gone out the window for the time being :o

geoffphuket

Edited by geoffphuket

Sorry, I didn't bother asking about the 3 month rule; I think the emphasis is on the 40k letter of income from the consulate/embassy, and a bank statement showing 400K. Last year they threw away the copies I'd made of my bank book, saying they weren't needed, so they'd no idea how long the money had been there.

I'd set my heart on buying a new motorbike this morning, but that's gone out the window for the time being :o

geoffphuket

Geoff, You could get a new motorbike though hire purchase for just a small deposit. The monthly payments are very reasonble and since your not aloud to have the registration in your name, anyway you could maybe get it in your wife's name.

If you want to sale the bike at a later date I am sure you would not lose to much money. It would work out cheaper than renting one.

D.

geoffphuket

Geoff, You could get a new motorbike though hire purchase for just a small deposit. The monthly payments are very reasonble and since your not aloud to have the registration in your name, anyway you could maybe get it in your wife's name.

If you want to sale the bike at a later date I am sure you would not lose to much money. It would work out cheaper than renting one.

D.

It's not a question of finance, more however that I don't like keeping 400K tied up in a bank account earning next to nothing....and by the way, I can have the green registration book in my name; that isn't, and never has been an issue for aliens living in Thailand - have a search for the appropriate thread :D

Not true about the 40K a month income if you have your own company.

D

Please explain ??

Theres a big difference between getting the one year extension based on work permit (and then its 55k min monthly salary for the one year extension for most westerners no ???).. And getting the visa based on marriage.

Currently country wide all new applicants need 40k proven income between both partners.. If thai they want a tax paid history (makes mia farangs pay tax while Thais dont.. Another nice subtle farang tax) if faramg then it can be Thai tax paid, or certified by your embassy.

The rules should be that anyone who previously used the 400k proof of money extension in the past should be grandfathered.. However a few offices dont seem to follow the actual rules.. Phuket seems to want both which is a total bastardisation of the rule..

So explain what the 'own company' comment has to do with marriage visa extensions ??

Edited by LivinLOS

geoffphuket

D.

It's not a question of finance, more however that I don't like keeping 400K tied up in a bank account earning next to nothing....and by the way, I can have the green registration book in my name; that isn't, and never has been an issue for aliens living in Thailand - have a search for the appropriate thread :D

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Try getting the registered book in your name through finance.

Why stay in Thailand if you only got 400K in the bank, then start moaning about a new motorbike that you cant afford?

I was merely making a suggesting to a poor guy. :D

E.

geoffphuket

D.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. Try getting the registered book in your name through finance.

Why stay in Thailand if you only got 400K in the bank, then start moaning about a new motorbike that you cant afford?

E.

Mate, you've no idea what my finances are, so please don't post nonsense...you can keep that for bedlam if you get to 500 posts: rolleyes:

geoffphuket

D.

E.

Mate, you've no idea what my finances are, so please don't post nonsense...you can keep that for bedlam if you get to 500 posts: rolleyes:

post-61872-1210694453.gif

...you can keep that for bedlam if you get to 500 posts: rolleyes:

Good. So, I'm not the only person to think that Bedlam is utter crap.

Don't let DEEDEE (= redted/ted ?? methinks) suck you in. He's just a TROLLer

The thought had crossed my mind. He hasn't bothered to read or understand what this thread is all about....keeping 400,000 Baht on deposit earning next to nothing, when the requirement was supposed to have been scraped.

I've just written a letter to the Phuket Gazette asking why Phuket is the only province where immigration want 40k/month and 400k bank deposit. Hopefully they'll print the question in their letters column and someone with a higher ranking than the captain might reply.

• 1 month later...

They did and here is the reply:

Why the new rules for extending a non-imm O visa?

Q.

When applying to extend a non-immigrant “O” visa for 12 months on the basis of being married to a Thai, why does the immigration office now require to see 40,000-baht monthly income and a 400,000-baht bank deposit?

No other province in Thailand is asking for both. Last year, the chief confirmed to me that the bank deposit was no longer required since the changes came into effect requiring a letter from your home country’s embassy or consulate confirming your monthly income.

A.

“There must be a misunderstanding between you and our staff. The minimum requirements for someone with a Thai wife applying for a one-year permit to stay on the basis of a non-immigrant O visa is either a bank account deposit of 400,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht .

The officer might ask you if you have a 400,000-baht deposit to add in the application form, which will make it easier for approval. Usually, even if you do not have the 400,000-baht deposit, we still request to see the bankbook or bank statement proving that you are receiving the minimum income of 40,000 baht.

The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved.”

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

I have just been to immigration and they told me that they want to see only the 40K monthly income BUT have now asked me to get my 20 year old British Marriage certificate (which was fine for 3 years) notorized and translated in Bangkok at the Foreign Ministry.

They insisted that this cannot be done in Phuket ONLY Bangkok. Anyone had this new experience yet?

A.

"There must be a misunderstanding between you and our staff. The minimum requirements for someone with a Thai wife applying for a one-year permit to stay on the basis of a non-immigrant O visa is either a bank account deposit of 400,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht .

The officer might ask you if you have a 400,000-baht deposit to add in the application form, which will make it easier for approval. Usually, even if you do not have the 400,000-baht deposit, we still request to see the bankbook or bank statement proving that you are receiving the minimum income of 40,000 baht.

The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved."

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

IMHO this officer does not know what he is talking about. It's very clear to me that the old 400,000 baht in bank rule is no longer current. The current rule is 40,000 baht income, and maybe (??) also the 400,000 baht in bank.

We all know that each individual officer interpretes the 'rule book' as he/she sees fit, thus making it most confusing to us simple farangs. And if we try to explain that this officer said such & such, the he/she will dig in and not move from his/her position.

I know from personal experience that you need both the 400,000 baht in bank and 40,000 baht income to satisfy most officers in Phuket Province.

Hopefully the response from Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen in the PG should stop his staff giving out the wrong information! (I doubt it...)

Simon

Simon, that's my point. I doubt any instructions will be handed down by the top brass, and quoting what the captain stated (in print) to an immigration officer will NOT be well received.