Phuket Immigration Office

geoffphuket

Well, I'm divorced now so the 'marriage' visa doesn't concern me anymore, (in fact, I'm currently completely f*kced as regards a new visa...do you know any single rich women who want to marry quickly??)

Simon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me thinks

Unofficial

Ok, To answer my own question I called in at the immigration office today and asked to speak to the captain.[/b] His reply was that they now want to see 400K bank deposit AND the 40K month income....nothing less than that will be accepted.

Official

There must be a misunderstanding between you and our staff. The minimum requirements for someone with a Thai wife applying for a one-year permit to stay on the basis of a non-immigrant O visa is either a bank account deposit of 400,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht .

The officer might ask you if you have a 400,000-baht deposit to add in the application form, which will make it easier for approval. Usually, even if you do not have the 400,000-baht deposit, we still request to see the bankbook or bank statement proving that you are receiving the minimum income of 40,000 baht.

The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved.”

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

Just curious, so if you have less than a 40K per month income, less than 400K in the bank, but are supporting a thai wife and kid they'll kick you out? I'm sure there are a few pensioners here who are maybe pulling in 35K per month, have a bit of dosh offshore, and are supporting a family. Are these people now f**ked on staying? Nice gov't that breaks up families.

The rules as of a year or so are to be able to show a verified 40k in income between the couple per month.

That can be Thai tax receipts or verified by your embassy (which depends on embassy how they check).

To me it seems like they have worked out they can make mia farangs declare income and pay tax while much of the general population ignore it.

Just curious, so if you have less than a 40K per month income, less than 400K in the bank, but are supporting a thai wife and kid they'll kick you out? I'm sure there are a few pensioners here who are maybe pulling in 35K per month, have a bit of dosh offshore, and are supporting a family. Are these people now f**ked on staying? Nice gov't that breaks up families.

Yes... that is correct. But just to be clear.. it is the couple's joint income. I think that many farangs with Thai wife & kids will have trouble staying full time in Thailand if they can't prove the 40,000 joint income (tax payed) AND 400,000 baht in the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so as to clarify, it was me that wrote to the Phuket Gazette asking the captain as to why he'd changed the rules. His reply, as can be read below, still left some doubt as to the 400,000 Baht bank deposit. A further letter to the Gazette had the editor make a personal phone call to him..... This was his reply:-

"The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved."

Amazing what happens when your back is up against the wall :o

post-30543-1214819840_thumb.jpg

geoffphuket

Edited by geoffphuket

Got my first extension (marriage) approved showing +40k monthly income from my overseas bank with a stat. dec. from my embassy (Australia) and under 400k in the bank. Lots of huffing and puffing (in Thai but mainly complaining about the bank statements) by the captain but when he personnaly reshuffled my paperwork the application went in and a month later approved.

Cheers

Damian, thanks for that update. Very helpful to me. Perhaps you can indicate whether you were just short of the 400,000 baht, or had a lower 'float' in your bank account. If you don't want to even say that on the open forum, then perhaps you can PM me.

Not sure it's ever been mentioned here before, it's been my experience last year that Phuket Immigration don't seem to enforce the 3 months rule on the 400,000 baht. Just want to see money in book on day of application.

LiK,

It had been floating bewteen 200 and 300k for a number of months. Like I said I had the monthly foreign transfers as required and this seemed to be OK. They really only seemed interested in the transfers and didnt make any comment on the balance.

My own perspective on this rather traumatic experience that we are forced to go through each year is that if you come in and do it on your own (as I did) showing no intention of paying tea money they like to teach you a bit of a lesson to make you perhaps think about an "agent" next time and thus make the whole process time consuming and difficult. But I was determined to use the correct process just to see if it worked and it did luckily.

Glad its over but not looking forward to next time!!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone advise if Phuket immigration are Ok if you apply (with all the correct documents) on your own? We have a baby and a two year old which makes it difficult for my wife to attend....3 weeks to go :o

geoffphuket

I tried and was told to return with my wife.

LivinginKata and I are still waiting for an answer :o ......anybody ?

Yeah, just go and pay the 25k bribe like everyone else :D

What ... 25K. You got to be out of your mind to pay that. Never ever heard of that amount being asked. Most I've even offered is 500 Baht.

Not for a bloody one year visa you haven't. <deleted>.

I've been applying every year for 10 years now and never paid more than 500 baht. In fact now that the fee is 1,900 baht, I only give 100 baht 'tip'. And wash out your mouth please.

Jitagon is just an annoying troll. Hopefully he'll be banned soon.

Not for a bloody one year visa you haven't. <deleted>.

I've been applying every year for 10 years now and never paid more than 500 baht. In fact now that the fee is 1,900 baht, I only give 100 baht 'tip'. And wash out your mouth please.

Immigration in Bangkok would be interested in knowing that the officers in Phuket are still accepting bribes....They haven't raided them for a while now.

Can someone advise if Phuket immigration are Ok if you apply (with all the correct documents) on your own? We have a baby and a two year old which makes it difficult for my wife to attend....3 weeks to go :o

geoffphuket

I tried and was told to return with my wife.

Thanks for the reply. I guessed that would be the case. I'll let our 2 year old run riot that'll annoy them!

Immigration in Bangkok would be interested in knowing that the officers in Phuket are still accepting bribes....They haven't raided them for a while now.

Actually, these past few months one particular officer on the front desk is beginning (yet again) to become quite agressive about asking for money. I've had run-ins with him for many years, and I give in zero for his 'service'. The first year I got my one year extension he actually threw my passport back at me across the desk when I refused his very overt extortion of money. He ignores me since then, but jumps on the newbies living here.

Actually, these past few months one particular officer on the front desk is beginning (yet again) to become quite agressive about asking for money. I've had run-ins with him for many years, and I give in zero for his 'service'. The first year I got my one year extension he actually threw my passport back at me across the desk when I refused his very overt extortion of money. He ignores me since then, but jumps on the newbies living here.

Rumour has it that the 'Bangkok hierarchy' regularly read the posts on this forum. I hope they're paying good attention to this :o

Is it this very tiny one with the very short hair and the horrible smile???

Gerd

Is it this very tiny one with the very short hair and the horrible smile???

Gerd

Gerd, he's the older one (age wise) of the group of officers. He's been there at least 10 years, used to be on the long stay extension desk. Last few years he has been on the 10 day extensions and 90 day notification. Seems like a demotion. For sure never increased in rank.

A.

"There must be a misunderstanding between you and our staff. The minimum requirements for someone with a Thai wife applying for a one-year permit to stay on the basis of a non-immigrant O visa is either a bank account deposit of 400,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht .

The officer might ask you if you have a 400,000-baht deposit to add in the application form, which will make it easier for approval. Usually, even if you do not have the 400,000-baht deposit, we still request to see the bankbook or bank statement proving that you are receiving the minimum income of 40,000 baht.

The rule has not changed. If you have the documents showing that you receive 40,000 baht per month, your permit to stay should be approved."

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

IMHO this officer does not know what he is talking about. It's very clear to me that the old 400,000 baht in bank rule is no longer current. The current rule is 40,000 baht income, and maybe (??) also the 400,000 baht in bank.

We all know that each individual officer interpretes the 'rule book' as he/she sees fit, thus making it most confusing to us simple farangs. And if we try to explain that this officer said such & such, the he/she will dig in and not move from his/her position.

I know from personal experience that you need both the 400,000 baht in bank and 40,000 baht income to satisfy most officers in Phuket Province.

Not true about the 40,000 Baht income.

ํYes it is true about the 40,000 baht/month joint income, UNLESS one is luckly enough to have been 'grandfathered' on the 400,000 baht in bank only.

If you disagree them please explain what you think....

ํYes it is true about the 40,000 baht/month joint income, UNLESS one is luckly enough to have been 'grandfathered' on the 400,000 baht in bank only.

If you disagree them please explain what you think....

Some have reported that Phuket immigration aren't 'grandfathering' the 400,000 for anyone now. I guess that makes it kind of difficult for some that have been here for many many years and don't have the 40K/month income. Personally I'm wondering how I'll cope if I live to see old age and the goal posts keep moving.

geoffphuket