Thai Language Schools In Pats

Loosescrew

I've been a student of Pro Language School on Klang opposite Carrefour who offer fine courses in groups or private in a clean air conditioned environment. Their little trick is to say all groups are full but if you are interested, plenty of space for private. All to say, very good teaching there.

Can anyone suggest any schools in the central Pats area please? Prices if known/remembered. Thank you.

I've been a student of Pro Language School on Klang opposite Carrefour who offer fine courses in groups or private in a clean air conditioned environment. Their little trick is to say all groups are full but if you are interested, plenty of space for private. All to say, very good teaching there.

Can anyone suggest any schools in the central Pats area please? Prices if known/remembered. Thank you.

What's the point of your post? If you've been a student of Pro Language School and happy there why would you need a recommendation for another school?

A disguised plug for Pro Language School perhaps?

MacWalen are busy setting up a school in Pattaya if you're interested.

What's the point of your post? If you've been a student of Pro Language School and happy there why would you need a recommendation for another school?

By that logic should I be happy at one restaurant, I shouldn't bother seeking recommendations on other good restaurants that BMs favor? A forum is for exchanging tips. You should know this by now.

Their little trick [/b]is to say all groups are full but if you are interested, plenty of space for private. All to say, very good teaching there.

By that logic should I be happy at one restaurant, I shouldn't bother seeking recommendations on other good restaurants that BMs favor? A forum is for exchanging tips. You should know this by now.

I must say I do not really see the point of this 'trick', why do they do this??? To keep students away???However my current language school is PROgressive Language School near the Bus Station in North Pattaya. Its not far from your current school, I do the trip from your current school (well Carrefour next door) quite often and by car it take less than 5 minutes. The cost is 15000 baht for 60 hours private tuition. Its good there, but it is not structured into leading to an examination, which I personally would like to take.

About Walen, Tropo I have sent them a few emails asking when (and where) they are coming to Pattaya, but no replies. Is there a location you know of in Patters, have you seen a building or is it just their advert on their website you are reporting?? My latest 60 hours of lessons are coming to an end and I am thinking of trying Walen out.

Edited by dsfbrit

Their little trick [/b]is to say all groups are full but if you are interested, plenty of space for private. All to say, very good teaching there.

I must say I do not really see the point of this 'trick', why do they do this??? To keep students away???However my current language school is PROgressive Language School near the Bus Station in North Pattaya. Its not far from your current school, I do the trip from your current school (well Carrefour next door) quite often and by car it take less than 5 minutes. The cost is 15000 baht for 60 hours private tuition. Its good there, but it is not structured into leading to an examination, which I personally would like to take.

About Walen, Tropo I have sent them a few emails asking when (and where) they are coming to Pattaya, but no replies. Is there a location you know of in Patters, have you seen a building or is it just their advert on their website you are reporting?? My latest 60 hours of lessons are coming to an end and I am thinking of trying Walen out.

Try WorldWideTEFL's ED visa program:

60 hour and 180 hour programs, resp. THB 9,900 and THB 29,500.

The latter offers the possibility to obtain an non-immigrant ED visa.

doubleUdoubleUdoubleU.8host.org

I'm sorry, my logic doesn't equate restaurants with language schools.

Try this one. Would a person be searching for another dentist if they already had a very good one they were happy with?

Edited by tropo

Try this one. Would a person be searching for another dentist if they already had a very good one they were happy with?

I might if I knew another dentist would charge a significant % less for the same quality work. All to say, forums are for exchanging tips. Enough.

I am also curious as to WHERE in Pattaya Walen will open? Anyone have any idea? What's the big mystery? You would think they would be advertising it already on their website.

Any people trying AUA on North Pattaya Road? They start their beginners That course at 830 in the morning. No other option. I really wonder what they are thinking with such an eary start. Looking at the Walen schedules for Bangkok, MUCH more civilized!

My 2 cents on the "classes are full we can only do a private class for you"

The teacher gets paid more money if she/he teaches more hours/classes. If she tells 3 students that there are no classes avail, then she makes 3 hours pay instead only 1 hour pay with all 3 students in one class.

Usually, with English Language schools private classes are also more expensive so the company will make more per student if they sign up for private classes too.

My advice would be if they tell you there are no classes available perhaps they can contact you when there is one available. You might see a change in attitude!!

I might if I knew another dentist would charge a significant % less for the same quality work. All to say, forums are for exchanging tips. Enough.

With a big emphasis on MIGHT.

Are you looking for a cheaper school?

I am also curious as to WHERE in Pattaya Walen will open? Anyone have any idea? What's the big mystery? You would think they would be advertising it already on their website.

Any people trying AUA on North Pattaya Road? They start their beginners That course at 830 in the morning. No other option. I really wonder what they are thinking with such an eary start. Looking at the Walen schedules for Bangkok, MUCH more civilized!

I have just sent another email to Walen in Bangkok to ask when and where they will come to Pattaya. As for AUA on North Pattaya Road, I simply could not study there. I am not a fussy person, but the rooms I saw were so very small and had no windows. They may have other rooms, but I thought I could end in one these. At least where I am at the moment, I can see the outside World, there is a balcony I can sit on when we have a break and its not at all claustrophobic.

My 2 cents on the "classes are full we can only do a private class for you"

The teacher gets paid more money if she/he teaches more hours/classes. If she tells 3 students that there are no classes avail, then she makes 3 hours pay instead only 1 hour pay with all 3 students in one class.

Usually, with English Language schools private classes are also more expensive so the company will make more per student if they sign up for private classes too.

My advice would be if they tell you there are no classes available perhaps they can contact you when there is one available. You might see a change in attitude!!

Oh of course, I obviously dont think deviously enough. Yes an obvious scam now you point it out. I also read on another thread somewhere (I will see if I can find it), that a guy who went to Prolanguage for private lessons was taking two lessons back to back.

This should have been two 1 hour lessons. He discovered that they had to take a 10 minute break after 50 minutes. So the lesson was only 50 minutes long.

He was not really complaining about the 10 minute break as such, a break in between lessons can be a good idea. His complaint was that the two breaks were tacked on at the END of the stuudy period, so in fact he studied for 100 minutes then took a 20 minute break at the end!!! Now that in my opinion IS a scam! The whole point of the 10 minute break is to refresh your mind, not for the teacher to go and have lunch early!!

Edited by dsfbrit

I read this statement about the breaks taken at the end from this thread. Seems a bit off a shoddy way of going on to me:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59287

QUOTE (kriswillems @ 2008-02-15 12:56:10)

Here's my feedback.

Last week was my first day at Pro Language in Pattaya and it was not too bad. The teacher was energetic, actively corrected my pronunciation and she used a book from the school which was ok.

The pro-language teacher is much better than the teacher of my last school in Pattaya. The teacher from my old school had relational problems, looked depressed, overworked (and even looked a bit suicidal).

The only disappointment at pro-language was that after 1h40min the teacher said the course was finished, because every hour should have 10 minutes break. I was told nothing about the break at the moment I paid for my 20 hours. My 20 hours are now reduced to 16h40 minutes, making the school even more expensive than before.

If I would live at the same distance from BKK as from Pattaya, I would go back to one of the union based schools in BKK because I think they have a more structured teaching method (and they are cheaper than private courses).

Edited by dsfbrit

Tropo, give it a break...... even if he was pushing the school there are many people such as me who are interested in the schools and this is turning into peoples opinions on thai language schools

why didn't you jump on me when i started a "granola" thread. I was looking for other places to buy it. I will admit I already had a place to buy it but I was looking for more selection and better pricing. by your logic I own a granola company and am pushing it. Sorry, I have no financial interest in granola.

the constant bickering on this forum is like a bunch of old ladies. if you dont like the thread move on. I think i will take my own advice but got upset when you just want to fck up the thread for someone like me who is interested in it.

Update:

I've just come back from Pro Language School on a fact finding mission. They offer groups in private or group. Group is 2,800 baht for 20 hours. Private is 7,300 baht and the schedule is then flexible. I inquired about the 10 minute break and the school confirmed that for a 1 hour class there is no break. For 2 hours, there is a break either in the middle or end for 10 minutes. However, time is pro rated so you get whatever time was removed at the end. 6 days of 10 minute breaks = 1 hour more.

They also pushed their student visa. 28,500 and you study as a group which also entitles you to the student visa and they do all the paperwork. You must have 30 days left on your visa, your passport, and 3 photos.

Walen school contacted me today - here is the email.

I think the comment about the toilets relates to the 'big job' it is to renovate them and not to anything else that we Brits may think:D

> Hi Khun David,

The construction of the Pattaya school is now about 70% completed so we hope to

open in 1 month but realistically it will be in 2 months.

We are putting about 2.5 mil baht into a building that we do not own, but the location is right outside Carrefour. The building was totally devastated, not used for 10 years, water damage and so on so we have had to replace literally everything including all windows doors etc, also build extra 4 toilets. Big job.

Hope this is not too long. Do you also need visa assistance? If you do we can process your application at our Bangkok school and you can move when Pattaya school opens.

Edited by dsfbrit

Update:

I've just come back from Pro Language School on a fact finding mission. They offer groups in private or group. Group is 2,800 baht for 20 hours. Private is 7,300 baht and the schedule is then flexible. I inquired about the 10 minute break and the school confirmed that for a 1 hour class there is no break. For 2 hours, there is a break either in the middle or end for 10 minutes. However, time is pro rated so you get whatever time was removed at the end. 6 days of 10 minute breaks = 1 hour more.

They also pushed their student visa. 28,500 and you study as a group which also entitles you to the student visa and they do all the paperwork. You must have 30 days left on your visa, your passport, and 3 photos.

Interesting, I expect Kriswillems has sorted that out with them as well. I don't know him personally, but he has always seemed quite a reasonable honest person in his posts so I expect this was not the practise by ALL the teachers a couple of months ago when he brought this up in the Language forum.

Having seen that the Walen school is coming soon, I think I will give that a go. I can use the remaining 8 hourse at my current school to 'prepare' for the Walen test - sneaky huh!!!

Will you try the Walen ? if so - see you there...