Tourist Visa In Kota Bharu

Definitely it is not possible, and the reason was very clear through "digitalchromakey" answer.

Arriving Sungai Kolok at 11:25am, walking to the boarder, stamping out, then walking across the bridge to the Malaysian border and stamping in will take a minimum of one hour if you are really lucky and not much people are queuing with you, then waiting for the bus 29 which is an hourly bus then arriving to Kota Bahru will add at least another 2 hours, plus one hour time different means you would probably be arriving to the embassy at around 4 to 5 o’clock, whereby even if they would accept your afternoon application they will be unfortunately closed.

Depending on your visa situation, my advise to you is either you do a border run or extend your current visa to buy some times then reschedule your trip to Kota Bahru.

If this not possible then try to change the return date to Thursday by doing the following:

1 - When you arrive to Hatyai the train will stop for at least 15 minutes, rush to the counter and try to change your reservation at Hatyai (as sometimes people change or cancel there reservations too) and you could be lucky to find a sit and pay the 50 B fine.

2- Back from Hatyai there are many trains and not only two, so try to find a later scheduled train and make one way reservation from Hatyai to Bangkok on Thursday, then buy one way third class ticket from Sungai Kolok, which usually is available.

In my last trip it happened to me and the first and second classes where full, so I bought a ticket to Bangkok on the third class and managed to buy another one on the first class in Hatyai.

Best of luck

Bishop

Definitely it is not possible, and the reason was very clear through "digitalchromakey" answer.

Arriving Sungai Kolok at 11:25am, walking to the boarder, stamping out, then walking across the bridge to the Malaysian border and stamping in will take a minimum of one hour if you are really lucky and not much people are queuing with you, then waiting for the bus 29 which is an hourly bus then arriving to Kota Bahru will add at least another 2 hours, plus one hour time different means you would probably be arriving to the embassy at around 4 to 5 o'clock, whereby even if they would accept your afternoon application they will be unfortunately closed.

Depending on your visa situation, my advise to you is either you do a border run or extend your current visa to buy some times then reschedule your trip to Kota Bahru.

If this not possible then try to change the return date to Thursday by doing the following:

1 - When you arrive to Hatyai the train will stop for at least 15 minutes, rush to the counter and try to change your reservation at Hatyai (as sometimes people change or cancel there reservations too) and you could be lucky to find a sit and pay the 50 B fine.

2- Back from Hatyai there are many trains and not only two, so try to find a later scheduled train and make one way reservation from Hatyai to Bangkok on Thursday, then buy one way third class ticket from Sungai Kolok, which usually is available.

In my last trip it happened to me and the first and second classes where full, so I bought a ticket to Bangkok on the third class and managed to buy another one on the first class in Hatyai.

Best of luck

Bishop

Thanks Bishop...and all. I have pushed my return train trip back a day so...2 nights in Kota Bahru. So all should be good now. I did speak to the consulate there yesterday and there is no chance of my Non-Imm ED visa happening unfortunately (although I'll try it on initially when i get there just for the sake of trying), so looking at mult-entry 60-day tourist visa....better than nothing.

Leaving tonight...so will provide an update when i get back for those interested.

Is there no where at all to grab a beer down there?? thats going to be rough.

Currently in Kencana lodge....thanks for those that suggested it...its fine for the money (54MYR a night). They do have HBO also...the only english channel. I brought my laptop with me and surprisingly they also have WiFi here....although is hasn't worked for the first 24 hrs, it seems to be working fine now. Lodged double entry visa application just in the nick of time yesterday...had to catch a taxi from border to make it (40MYR...it seemed to be the stock standard price...shared it with another guy I met walking from train station...so 20 each...good deal). Was iun and out of consulate in 5mins. Picked up approved visa at 2pm today, was in and out in less than 1min. Planning on catching bus back tomorrow....5 odd MYR. They leave bus station every 30mins apparently.

!st class train ride was interesting....as has been suggested and from what I have read, it was freezing. Lucky I had a towel with me that i used as a second blanket. I did get a great nights sleep though after boarding around middnight from Chumpon...beds are comfortable...didnt wake till 10am after fellow cabin passanger slammed the door shut and got off at a station. Another 2hrs and I was at Sungai Kolok.

Yeah, not a great deal to do in Kota Bharu...had an early one last night but might go discover the night markets tonight and have some chinese food and a beer. Been getting my fast food fix on for the last 24hrs....its been a while, thats my excuse....plus they have free WiFi...and cheaper than in thailand too.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and help....has made for a well planned journey. Just a shame about that educational visa....oh well, can't win them all.

Also, popped in to Suria Hotel and asked thier rates...75MYR a night and no english television, just local....i just remember it being discussed in this thread somewhere.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

am also looking to do this trip,can anyone confirm docs.needed for 60 day 2 entry TV.am converting from retirement visa(did n't have the funds in the a/c in time(3 months prior).Am now looking at getting a coach/bus from samui through to sungai kolok leaves samui 7am or 7pm ferry arr. malay border 12 hrs.later.Looks like the night bus down and back,leaves only1 night in kota and plenty of time to get to consulate the morning of 1st day.

• 3 weeks later...
am also looking to do this trip,can anyone confirm docs.needed for 60 day 2 entry TV.am converting from retirement visa(did n't have the funds in the a/c in time(3 months prior).Am now looking at getting a coach/bus from samui through to sungai kolok leaves samui 7am or 7pm ferry arr. malay border 12 hrs.later.Looks like the night bus down and back,leaves only1 night in kota and plenty of time to get to consulate the morning of 1st day.

samuibeachcomber, who operates this bus service?? I have some friends wanting to do this trip and am interested.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I've been going through the chocful of info on this thread - very helpful indeed! I'm planning to make the trip to Kota Bharu after New Year's for a double-entry tourist visa.

I'm thinking of taking the Bangkok-Sungai Kolok train - have they got second class, airconditioned sleeping berths on that route?

How much is the bus fare from Sungai Kolok to Kota Bharu - is the bus airconditioned?

What docs are required for a double-entry tourist visa? Do I have to show 20,000Bt and return tickets in and out of Thailand?

Is there a direct bus to Hat Yai from Kota Bharu? I plan to have a short holiday in Hat Yai for a few days after my visa run.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tygerstar

Hi there. I've been going through the chocful of info on this thread - very helpful indeed! I'm planning to make the trip to Kota Bharu after New Year's for a double-entry tourist visa.

I'm thinking of taking the Bangkok-Sungai Kolok train - have they got second class, airconditioned sleeping berths on that route?

How much is the bus fare from Sungai Kolok to Kota Bharu - is the bus airconditioned?

What docs are required for a double-entry tourist visa? Do I have to show 20,000Bt and return tickets in and out of Thailand?

Is there a direct bus to Hat Yai from Kota Bharu? I plan to have a short holiday in Hat Yai for a few days after my visa run.

Thanks in advance!

For train questions see this webpage: http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

It will be best to buy train tickets in advance to insure you get the class you want.

The train goes through Hat Yai on its way to Sungai Kolok. You might get a better train schedule/class going to Hat Yai and then changing to anther one to Sungai Kolok.

I can't help on bus questions.

You only need copy of passport photo page and 2 photos for visa.

You can find office hours and holiday schedule for the consulate here: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2849.php?depid=221

You will see that they are open Sunday to Thursday.There is not much more info than that on website.

Have a good trip and give us a report back on how it went.

You only need copy of passport photo page and 2 photos for visa.

You can find office hours and holiday schedule for the consulate here: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2849.php?depid=221

You will see that they are open Sunday to Thursday.There is not much more info than that on website.

Have a good trip and give us a report back on how it went.

So, only photocopy of the personal particulars page of the passport?

I think I might hang in Hat Yai first then take a bus down to Sungai Kolok.

Any idea how long is the bus journey from Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok?

Hi there. I've been going through the chocful of info on this thread - very helpful indeed! I'm planning to make the trip to Kota Bharu after New Year's for a double-entry tourist visa. I'm thinking of taking the Bangkok-Sungai Kolok train - have they got second class, airconditioned sleeping berths on that route? How much is the bus fare from Sungai Kolok to Kota Bharu - is the bus airconditioned? What docs are required for a double-entry tourist visa? Do I have to show 20,000Bt and return tickets in and out of Thailand? Is there a direct bus to Hat Yai from Kota Bharu? I plan to have a short holiday in Hat Yai for a few days after my visa run. Thanks in advance!
As noted via http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp (Southern Line) neither the 171 nor the 37 will arrive early enough to allow you to make it to the consulate on time (appls accepted 9-11:30am only) because you lose an hour as soon as you cross the border. So, keep that in mind. Upon reaching Sungai Kolok station, take a maniac... er, uh... I mean a motorcycle taxi to the border (20B). After you pass thru to the Malaysian side (remember to set your watch FORWARD an hour!), upon exiting the pavilion, ignore the taxi touts and proceed down the covered walkway almost to the end, where there will likely be some locals waiting. This is the "unofficial" bus stop for the #29 line for the ~1 hour ride into town. I'm not sure what the exact schedule is, but be prepared to wait as long as 20 min or so. (Since it is impossible to make it to the consulate in time at this point, why not save a little money and take a leisurely bus ride into town and enjoy the scenery in air-conditioned comfort at the same time?) When the bus arrives, step over the barrier onto the street (like everybody else is doing) and have 4 ringgit ready. If you don't have any ringgit on you then just give the driver 40 baht or as close to it as you can (but don't expect any change from your baht!). Take note that there will be an intermediate stop in another town (a little more than half way or so) where the vast majority of the passengers will disembark. This is NOT your stop. So, sit tight and ride the bus to the end of the line which will be the main bus station in Kota Bharu. As far as documentation is concerned, I'm not sure if they are requiring applicants to submit a copy of the first page of one's passport now along with everything else, but it's a good idea to keep several of such on hand with you anyway (preferably sealed in a thick Ziploc bag). And I have never been asked to show proof of funds nor any onward ticket. As far as a direct bus back to Hat Yai from KB, I'm sure there are but it may take you through some pretty rough parts of "the troubled south", so I don't recommend it. It's best to just take the train back. So, here's my suggestion: if you arrive a little early at the consulate, and the girls have a free moment (and you weren't rude or demanding to them the day before...), they will call you to the counter early to pick up your passport, which will then give you ample time to make a beeline back to the main bus station to pick up the 29 back to the border and the Thai side (remember to set your watch BACK an hour now!) to purchase a nice, comfortable 2nd class seat back to Hat Yai (146 baht). 3rd class is, of course available, too, (92 baht) but I don't recommend it since the seats are facing each other and are very uncomfortable, not to mention getting absolutely JAMMED with noisy locals by the time you reach HY. Not a pleasant trip. Spend a few baht more and go 2nd class. You won't regret it. Edited by relayer

I want to clarify something from my previous post... When I said to try to arrive a little early at the KB consulate to retrieve your passport the following day, take note that I meant LIKE 9am WHEN THEY OPEN. Here's why: when you're submitting your app, if there's not a huge onslaught of people (which there usually isn't), the girls will often tell you that you can pick up your passport after 9:30am the following day (rather than the published afternoon time). So, the next day, after the brief initial crush, there will likely be a break in the action by 9:15 or so, and if they've seen you patiently waiting there since the open, they will then call your name. If you wait until 9:30 to show up, they could start to get busy again and things might get delayed from that point. So arriving right when they open gives you an added cushion of time to return to the Thai side early and secure your 2nd class seat for the 11:30am train back to Hat Yai, and still have plenty of time for a nice leisurely lunch. There's one or two good Thai eateries in the soi that's one street over from (and parallel to) the main road in front of the train station. I don't care much for the food offered on the train, so this ensures that my stomach is happy for the return trip. Also, the train sometime leaves as late as 12 noon, but don't chance it. Go get something to eat and be back as soon as you can. Last time I was there, it left promptly at 11:30...

Just to let everyone know that Monday 29 December 2008 is a public holiday in Malaysia.

Only the Penang consulate is closed that day.

Kota Bharu and KL will be open.

Kota Bharu will be open at the start of the Muslim New Year? I'm going after New Year's anyway; thank God I bought my tickets early as all the trains going down south are fully booked until the first week of January.

Just to let everyone know that Monday 29 December 2008 is a public holiday in Malaysia.

Only the Penang consulate is closed that day.

Kota Bharu and KL will be open.

Kota Bharu will be open at the start of the Muslim New Year? I'm going after New Year's anyway; thank God I bought my tickets early as all the trains going down south are fully booked until the first week of January.

Yes according to their website. Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2852.php?id=3123

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my double entry tourist visa from Kota Bharu two weeks ago. The info provided here is pretty much spot on (thanks again, guys!). I submitted my application at 10 am and was told to pick up my passport at 10 the next morning. But I believe the early pick up was possible because they were having a lull; normal collection time is after 2 pm the next working day (so don't presume that an early pick up is always possible!). All they asked for were two photographs and the visa application fee, which is to to be paid in Malaysian Ringgit (they did reluctantly accept Baht but advised those who did so to pay in Ringgit the next time). Consulate staff were pleasant.

Kota Bharu is a sleepy town with a couple of smallish shopping malls, all the major fast food outlets (24-hour KFC and McDonald's) and plenty of Malay and Chinese coffee shops serving yummy local dishes. People were friendly and helpful but didn't approach, which was a relief - nice to be able to walk around town without being harrassed by touts on every street corner. I wore cotton blouses and slacks/jeans and no one stared or spat at me, as someone claimed above. I felt completely safe. Unfortunately, it rained most of the time I was there so I didn't get to hit the beaches. Mydin Wholesale Mart near the bus station is a good place to stock up on ladies' items. Prices were VERY reasonable.

By the way, Bus No 29 runs only every hour either way so, if you're in a rush to get to the consulate or you have to make a connection in Sungai Kolok, you might want to factor that in. Also beware of the afterschool rush hour - my ride from Kota Bharu to the Sungai Kolok border took 1.5 hours but thankfully I didn't have to make a connection. The fare is now RM 5.10. Motorcycle taxis on the Thai side were asking for 30Bt but I told them I always paid 20Bt and they were OK with that. :o

Edited by tygerstar

• 4 months later...
Hi All.

I'm going on my second visa run to Kota Bharu next month. Any updates on obtaining a tourist visa in KB?

May be we should add, that a proper dress is required in Kota Bharu. The shoulders should be covered, and the shoes be left outside when you step in.

Well, I just returned from Khota Bharu, and was rejected for a double entry tourist visa but was issued a single entry. I have already received a few tourist visas there, including double entry. The woman at the counter showed me a sheet of paper which was basically accusing me of working. Presumptuous!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I just returned from Khota Bharu, and was rejected for a double entry tourist visa but was issued a single entry. I have already received a few tourist visas there, including double entry. The woman at the counter showed me a sheet of paper which was basically accusing me of working. Presumptuous!

Did you get your visa free of charge?

I wonder if they would give me a double entry. I do have many Thai visas in my passport but none of those are from KB.

Did you get your visa free of charge?

I wonder if they would give me a double entry. I do have many Thai visas in my passport but none of those are from KB.

I suggest you go to another consulate. If you have gotten tourist visas before they are handing out notices and putting a note on the visa stickers that you were given the notice.

Veintiane is now the only consulate that is known to give 2 entry visas and as of today they will probably be free until March 4th of next year.

• 2 years later...