Building A Traditional Thai House

At my small hotel in Phuket, I have spent the past 2 years either living in one of the guest-rooms or sleeping in the hotel restaurant when the hotel is fully booked! It's about time that I made a small sleeping/living area for myself :o

I already have permission from the local OrBorTor to construct a building on part of our land.... I have to say that my dream would be to stay in a traditional wooden (Mai Sak) house - very simple and appealing to my nature. (I had the 'palace' when I lived in the UK and that's not I now want or can afford!)

Actually, for my needs, I only want to construct a very simple and small property, with a bedroom, bathroom and balcony area for me to sit and relax on.

There are companies who will construct such style of houses, but I see no reason why I don't simply build it myself, (meaning I sit with the beer and watch my workmen build it....)

I can come up with a design of the property, but I would really appreciate any links to resources, projects of this type, advice, pitfalls etc.

Thanks!

Simon

post-174-1211096290_thumb.jpg

Picture from thaiworldview.com - just an example...

Edited by simon43

well simon, that is one loverly house, beutifull actualy, i understand from your post you only want something small and simple, and thats it??? lol. good luck and there are trades people out there. if your in korat area i have found some good lads. up to you as they say.

• 3 weeks later...

I realy like the Mai Sak type of homes and trying to find for long time now on the internet with no luck.

Does anybody knows any companies that can built this kind of houses in Issan?

My GF says that there are many house building companies in Ayutthaya that builts traditional thai homes, but cannot find one...

Help please...

Edited by mgreek

I've seen some nice 'recycled' rice stores which looked well habitable. Single room, plus balconies, one of which could be walled in to make a bathroom.

As to finding an old one, probably a question of driving around Isaan/North and asking. Probably not often on ebay!!!

You should be able to find a carpenter/builder who can reassemble it for you. But have a look at his/(her?) other work first and ask the customers what they thought, too.

Good luck with it.

I've seen some nice 'recycled' rice stores which looked well habitable. Single room, plus balconies, one of which could be walled in to make a bathroom.

As to finding an old one, probably a question of driving around Isaan/North and asking. Probably not often on ebay!!!

You should be able to find a carpenter/builder who can reassemble it for you. But have a look at his/(her?) other work first and ask the customers what they thought, too.

Good luck with it.

Here you go:

http://baansammi-rbs.blogspot.com/

RAZZ