Land Prices

blueandbrown

I have been offered some land which is about 3 to 4 killometres from town centre in khorat its only 1 rai not sure about the chanot ?? whats the going rate?? it needs some ammount of landfill to make it safe for me to build a house on later and it will be behind another plot so it is not on main road but just back a little. also anybody got rough idea of cost in builing 3 bedroom house usual farang requirements on it.

This subject has been covered so many times here on TV that you will get much of the info: you require searching previous posts under "land prices". The answer is subjective in as much as it is worth as much as you are prepared to pay and relative to where it is located, the utilities and services surrounding the land and/or whether it is situated next to a dirt track, concrete road or tarmac road etc...

rough guide:

Village (farm land) - 15,000 baht up to 50,000 baht per rai

Town - 100,000 upto 300,000+ baht per rai

City - 500,000 upto 10,000,000 baht and beyond

I've heard prices all over place and its relative to where you buy. One things for sure its usually more expensive to us farangs than it is to the locals.

...i was asking is because i am in UK now and have have not been to thailand for more than a year.

There is only limited coverage of some parts of Thailand on Google Earth - best to see the land you are considering to buy rather than buy over the phone. I would guess that information about the tyre burning factory 300 Metres away might not be freely expressed?

As the above poster mentioned - the price will depend on type/location of land - form your point of view the key question is one of access and services.

If it is cheap it is remote, so no access to services - getting an electric supply might cost you 10,000 Baht per powerline pole every 30 metres?

Is there an exisiting road access to the site?

If it is amoung rice fields the locals will not take kindly to you wanting to drive across their crops to park next to the house.

Land fill depends on where the earth is coming from - distance means fuel costs - these are rising - so search both in this forum and the building forum for recent prices, they get discussed from time to time.

Assuming you have read other posts here about some of the problems on living within Issan - the key problem that re-occurs on a weekly basis is problems with neighbours. Learn this leason from other people's experiance. Do not place your self (house) too close to other people - space is not expensive. One Rai sounds a bit small for a farang house in Issan, I have friends living on small plots within villages - complaints about Somchai's wild Dogs, Poon's thieving children and the cheap rented rooms being build next door (3 metres from bedroom!) All scream the message keep the neighbours at a distance.

Very sound advice from the 2 posters.

I am moving to Khorat shortly, once I find a suitable rental.

In regards to the comment about prices at the land office, you may find the prices a little misleading as land changes hands sometimes at higher prices than recorded- ALLEGEDLY I hasten to add!!

Try Issan Properties/Lawyers, I met a guy indirectly through seeing a project via them and he was very helpful. The landlords/landowners they have on their books often have other contacts who may have what you are looking for, if the land you are looking at is not what you are looking for, normally by asking a few questions these guys may be able to direct you to somebody or something else.

You really need to be in Khorat though to do the legwork IMHO and try not to make the mistake so many Farang make by jumping in head first in a rush of impulsiveness only to have regrets later, take your time and good luck.

Mike

Very sound advice from the 2 posters.

I am moving to Khorat shortly, once I find a suitable rental.

In regards to the comment about prices at the land office, you may find the prices a little misleading as land changes hands sometimes at higher prices than recorded- ALLEGEDLY I hasten to add!!

Try Issan Properties/Lawyers, I met a guy indirectly through seeing a project via them and he was very helpful. The landlords/landowners they have on their books often have other contacts who may have what you are looking for, if the land you are looking at is not what you are looking for, normally by asking a few questions these guys may be able to direct you to somebody or something else.

You really need to be in Khorat though to do the legwork IMHO and try not to make the mistake so many Farang make by jumping in head first in a rush of impulsiveness only to have regrets later, take your time and good luck.

Mike

Thanks for feedback. I can now add that it was my thai wife who lives with me here in the uk who was offered this land about a year ago for the same price and now she is working here she wants to buy land with her own money and not mine for our future. The land is near a main road but not on it as it is just down a dirt track albeit the second piece of land down this old road so it is not in remote place and this guy is offering 50 talanwah for 50k thai baht about £800 as far as i can make out=£6k for 1 rai. more thoughts if you have them please.

This may be useful for your conversion:

Measure of 1 sq wah 4.784 sq yards 4 sq m

Surface 1 sq wah 0.000989 acres

0.000247 acres 1 sq m

100 sq wah 1 ngan 478.4 sq yards 400 sq m

4 ngan 1 rai 2/5 acre 1,600 sq m

0.395 acre 0.16 ha

1011.736 sq wah 4046.9 sq.m. 1 acre

250,000 sq wah 625 rai 1 sq km

6.25 rai 1 hectare

http://www.eppo.go.th/ref/UNIT-T-M.html

blueandbrown,

It is the same with me.I do not wish to purchase anymore land then what we already have but...........the wife does.She got a job and has now set out to buy 2 rai for 100k.It is 60km north of Korat and 15km off of highway 2.It is next to the main paved road through the village and across from the government building that houses the pre school and the clinic.Of course there is water and electric because of where it is located.A new cell tower has been built in the village and a hard line is avalible.We really do not plan on living there full time because of the kids needing to go to school.But 100k for it seems to be a good deal to me.Oh it looks out over our paddy land to the east.Nothing like being able to see the sun in the morning come up over your growing rice.What else is there to do in Issan except whatch the rice grow. :o

Edited by blue eyes