Problem?-thai--thai Divorce To Marry Farang

SINBAD64

I have been with my thai girl for 4 years---she still married to thai man who left her 7 years ago and now serving 14 years in the slammer--- 2 children 10 and 12--who he has had no contact with 7 years--- She (me) paid 10000 baht to solicitor--went to court --supposed to be settled in 60 days-- now been 12 months.--no property issues involved as her mother owns house--

Main problem is obtaining passport for children to visit Australia--

I get no sense from my thai girl--subject is taboo--

Any feedback would be appreciated on where do I go from here--

If they have been sperated for the required length of time (may be 2 years) she should be able to get divorce, if she has all documents required. Having said that, I would be concerned where and what the 10,000 was used for. If subject is taboo between you and her, I would either go down the road or if I was happy where I was, and with what I had, stay where you are. She, as mother of children should be able to apply for a Thai passport for the kids. I am no expert on Thai divorce, but the lawyer fee and inaction for 1 year, taboo subject, You have been together 4 year, he left 3 year prior to you getting together???. Maybe you should confront the lawyer unless the subject is taboo with him also, then make a decision in life.

seems to be something fishy here. If the Thai side of the equation really wants a divorce and it's as you say it is with 4 years gone, then there shouldn't really be a problem. The truth is normally not taboo !!....

Make or break time Sinbad ...

seems to be something fishy here. If the Thai side of the equation really wants a divorce and it's as you say it is with 4 years gone, then there shouldn't really be a problem. The truth is normally not taboo !!....

I know she went to court --all the relevant documents etc--my understanding was a pretty straight forward case--- maybe solicitor stuffed up-- just wondering if there is such a organisation (as in Australia) as a legal ethical standards committee in Thailand where I could maybe make an approach to them which may give me some answers as to what the solicitor actually did--or didn't do.

I know she went to court --all the relevant documents etc--my understanding was a pretty straight forward case--- maybe solicitor stuffed up-- just wondering if there is such a organisation (as in Australia) as a legal ethical standards committee in Thailand where I could maybe make an approach to them which may give me some answers as to what the solicitor actually did--or didn't do.

As far as I know she should have [my girl has] a document with yellow and red bordering [A4 size] stating she is divorced. I am led to believe that that is all you need to take to the Ampur from her should you wish to get married.

Sinbad something doesn’t sound right. You’ve seen the documents but have you seen a translated version.

Unless there are custody or property issues I would have expected the case to be finalised by now. The legal bill suggests it was a straight forward divorce case.

I’d get those documents translated and look into it a bit more. I've got a feeling you're not being told the whole truth.

Seems there are 2 issues here. One is her divorce and the other is getting passports to take the children out of Thailand.

I married a divorcee, but her divorce had been finalised years before we met so I have no direct experience.

To take her children to the UK we had to go to a Thai court and get an injunction (basically, to say that their mother has sole control and responsibility for them). This was quite easy as the father had no objections, had not taken part in their upbringing and was willing to sign on the dotted line.

Solicitors costs were very reasonable (about 4,000thb and lunch at a good hotel), the father didn't try to make things difficult or claim any 'compensation', and both sides of the family were happy with the arrangements.

I think you will find that it is very difficult to take Thai children out of Thailand without the court's order. To get that order could be very difficult without the consent of the father.

Perhaps this is the stumbling block to your plans.

Your girl doesn't want to talk about this - maybe she is just under pressure from family (hers and his) and can't deal with the hassle. I don't know her background but all this legal and emotional stuff may be way beyond anything she was expecting - so she's closing down.

Seems there are 2 issues here. One is her divorce and the other is getting passports to take the children out of Thailand.

I married a divorcee, but her divorce had been finalised years before we met so I have no direct experience.

To take her children to the UK we had to go to a Thai court and get an injunction (basically, to say that their mother has sole control and responsibility for them). This was quite easy as the father had no objections, had not taken part in their upbringing and was willing to sign on the dotted line.

Solicitors costs were very reasonable (about 4,000thb and lunch at a good hotel), the father didn't try to make things difficult or claim any 'compensation', and both sides of the family were happy with the arrangements.

I think you will find that it is very difficult to take Thai children out of Thailand without the court's order. To get that order could be very difficult without the consent of the father.

Your girl doesn't want to talk about this - maybe she is just under pressure from family (hers and his) and can't deal with the hassle. I don't know her background but all this legal and emotional stuff may be way beyond anything she was expecting - so she's closing down.

PS - This was about 7 years ago, so prices may have gone up. If lawyer is charging 10,000 for divorce and childrens injunctions that sounds reasonable (if he is doing a good job).

You are obviously serious about your girl and her kids, so I think you should speak to an English (or Australian) speaking solicitor and get some proper advice.

PS - This was about 7 years ago, so prices may have gone up. If lawyer is charging 10,000 for divorce and childrens injunctions that sounds reasonable (if he is doing a good job).

You are obviously serious about your girl and her kids, so I think you should speak to an English (or Australian) speaking solicitor and get some proper advice.

Thanks for all the feedback

I think the main problem is the fact that ex-hubby is in jail and may be unwilling to sign any papers and of course can not attend a court to sign any paperwork,

I would have thought this would not be a problem as he failed to have any contact over the past seven years or supplied any support------BUT!-- this is Thailand --somebody probably wants some money somewhere along the line