Credit Card Info Stolen

gpdjohn

Seems to be my luck as of late...

I use one credit card issued from my credit union in Arizona to use only to transfer funds or get small increments of currency here.

Well today, tried to get some bhat and it refused ...went home and checked my account and low and behold, the card had been run up to it's limit. ( caught it within 1 day )

The only place ( ATM ) where I had done this was at Meechoc Plaza.

Contacted Visa, cancelled card ( which they had already done noticing that something was afoot, since all the charges where in Arizona and them knowing that I live in Thailand )

It had to have been from a ATM machine at Meechoc. ( the one's located by the massage girls ) Kaliskorn ATM machine.

HEADS UP! Be careful...

Gunna be on the phone for awhile tonight talking with my bank.

:o

There was a similar problem at the Siam Commercial Bank ATM on the corner of Ratchawithi & Moon Muang Roads.

It would appear as if the crooks have "infiltrated the system" with some sort of scanner /card reader & are able to steal your info when you use the ATM.

...all the charges where in Arizona and them knowing that I live in Thailand

I'm certainly not Sherlock Holmes, but based on that line, it would seem to me that the fraud took place in Arizona. NOT Thailand.

I'm certainly not Sherlock Holmes, but based on that line, it would seem to me that the fraud took place in Arizona. NOT Thailand.

OP should check his online statement and try to see where the latest unauthorized charges originated from. Why does he think the compromise is from the Thai ATM?

Those were my thoughts also. :o

I am no more Watson than you, but doze wuz my thoughts too.

I am no more Watson than you, but doze wuz my thoughts too.

Well, I am not that sure either...

I do not use the card anywhere except a few times at the listed ATM. Everything else is done online, on my computer ( secure at home with all the latest security software ) with the bank directly.

No where else, nada, never..

The ONLY place I have used it, is at THAT ATM. Here in Thailand.

Not to worry...not pickin' on the Thai..but this kinda shit happends worldwide..

Cannot figure it out, but wanted to at least give a heads up.

OP should check his online statement and try to see where the latest unauthorized charges originated from. Why does he think the compromise is from the Thai ATM?

Visa Fraud Services said all the purchases were made online.

Not all purchases were made in AZ, some in California, but all within the U.S.

Got me puzzled as well....

Where do the bills for that card get sent? To an address in Arizona (or somewhere else in the US) ? Maybe someone stole your mail and got your info that way.

Can you verify with whoever gets the bills that they have all been received?

Where do the bills for that card get sent? To an address in Arizona (or somewhere else in the US) ? Maybe someone stole your mail and got your info that way.

Can you verify with whoever gets the bills that they have all been received?

The bill is also sent online.

:o

For online use they would have had to have access to your 3 digit security code on rear of card and don't believe that is included in the magnetic strip scan of ATM machine (but don't know for sure). If not someone had to have access to card or you used the card/security code for an online purchase and that was compromised.

Yes, it could be the ATM - but it's far from unknown for online merchant's websites or servers to be penetrated. If your online transactions were with US-based merchants and the credit card info has only been used fraudulently within the US.......... that would lead me to think the info was more likely being hijacked in the US rather than Thailand (much as others have said).

In the UK now (as previously elsewhere in the EC), many card issuers are moving over to the the chip and random pin system - whereby your unique calculator style gadget generates a one-use pin number when you insert the card into it. They wouldn't be going to that expense and trouble if the standard 16-digit number + 4-digit pin/3-digit CVV number is itself 100% safe.

With any ATM, it's good practice to put your other hand over the keypad while you punch in your pin number as well as (obviously) not let others in the line or nearby see the key-presses - in case a miniature camera has been secreted over the keypad (sometimes disguised as a leaflet dispenser). Equally obviously, if the card slot looks like it sticks out bulkily from the face of the ATM - move on to another one where the slot is flush with the face of the ATM. In any case, as I understand it, a fake card reader (recorder) won't interface with the ATM - i.e. you wouldn't get your cash. If that's actually so, then - conversely - if you did get your cash then the card reader slot was OK.

Edited by Steve2UK

I had a Mastercard compromised some time ago in Udonthani,I paid for a car rental and they copied the card onto a reader.

The next time I used the card the Bank rang me,they knew it had been copied and re-issued a new card.

Luckily no funds had been taken.

Here's what puzzles me..

I have never used this card for any purchase, online or in person or via land line..

Only with the bank itself and at the listed ATM.

Always recieved cash back at the ATM and always look for an "extended" card slot...

Gunna talk to the bank tonight AZ time.. I'm worried and depressed and have already checked all my other cards, accounts etc. without a breach in any of the others.

Hey, poop happends, still a bright outlook on Thailand..and life goes on..

Hope I don't have to pay for what I have not done.

( isn't that everyone's wish )

Whilst it is possible (that the fraud occurred in Arizona) it is 99% more likely to have occurred in the realm.

Why else would every credit card issuer in the world refuse to send credit cards to Thailand.

Visa Fraud Services said all the purchases were made online.

Not all purchases were made in AZ, some in California, but all within the U.S.

Got me puzzled as well....

Don't online purchases have to be delivered somewhere? If I were the authorities I think the fraudulant purchasers delivery address might be the first place I'd look for clues. Sorry for your experience. A good reminder to stay vigilant.

I am likewise not Sherlock Holmes, more an Inspector Clouseau type....

Like some of the above, I would say you are a victim of identity theft, in the US.

It is improbable that someone here in Thailand who scanned your data from an ATM....would be making purchases in AZ, CA, etc.

Probably mail that someone opened, got your card number, and made some purchases there in the US.

Bummer, dude. I've been phished on the internet; also a victim of ID fraud.

What you have to do is a tri-bureau fraud alert or credit freeze on all granting of new credit in your name. Contact all the 3 major bureaus (Experian, Trans Union, etc.)

This link might help: freeze info

Thanks Mac..

Not a ID theft victim as of yet, just credit card fraud.

My last year of law enforcement I assisted a Detective in ID theft cases...what a frickin nightmare for the victim. ( and the PD as well because they are normally multi juristictional , did I get that right, spelling that is ?)

I thought it would be better to get off the street after my partner and I were in a gunfight with a career scumbag and my partner was killed..

Thought wrong.

ID theft has to be one of the worst crimes ( non violent ) a victim can go through, and if you ever have, you know what I'm talking about. Paper nightmare and the victim has most, if not all of the the burden.

I have checked EVERYTHING and so far just this one card. Lucky I guess.

Getting ready to call the bank here shortly...

Tryin' to keep my sense of humor up, it coulda been worse. I'm just hoping I do not have to go back to the colonies and take weeks to clean this up.

If it's just the info from one card, you're right....no reason to do the fraud alert thing.

For peace of mind, one thing you can (and should probably) do for the compromised card, is cancel, and get a new card # issued. You've probably already done this.

When I got my entire identity jacked on the internet, in a very sophisticated phishing attack, I basically had to call all my banks, credit card issuers, etc. and have them close all my accounts, and open new accounts with new acct numbers. They are very used to this, as this sort of problem has become very common. Living overseas, the card issuer might be reticent about sending the new card to an overseas address. So have them send it to your sister, mom, friend, etc. and they can then forward to you.

I'm stating the obvious to you here, as you probably are aware due to your background....but it might be of use to others who go through this who might be reading this thread.

Good Luck!

OP has said the card has only been used for one purpose at one location -- no online purchases, etc. Since the charges all originated in the US, sounds like one of two things: either the card data was compromised at the CU level, or the charges were misposted (i.e., charges from another customer's account were incorrectly posted to your account, which is not unheard of).

I'd definitely be on the phone with the CU and approach the problem with the assumption that in all likelihood the problem originated at their end, and not at the ATM in LOS.

Luckily for you it's a credit union account. The vast majority of CUs are a real pleasure to do business with, and you'll undoubtedly have it all fixed quick as sh*t.

Good luck!

OP has said the card has only been used for one purpose at one location -- no online purchases, etc. Since the charges all originated in the US, sounds like one of two things: either the card data was compromised at the CU level, or the charges were misposted (i.e., charges from another customer's account were incorrectly posted to your account, which is not unheard of).

I'd definitely be on the phone with the CU and approach the problem with the assumption that in all likelihood the problem originated at their end, and not at the ATM in LOS.

Luckily for you it's a credit union account. The vast majority of CUs are a real pleasure to do business with, and you'll undoubtedly have it all fixed quick as sh*t.

Good luck!

Yeah, I gave up on regular banks years ago, just for the very reason that the customer service is much better. Willing to listen to ya.

Thx

So far so good..informed them of all the fraudulant charges, dates and amounts. Said I should get a credit to my account within 5 days.

They have already issued a new card as well....

Had a similar problem which fraudulent charges also generated in Arizona.

Started noticing fares from Sun Air being charged against my Visa while I was up in the northwest US.

Come to find out and apparently per Visa this is a common MO, a merchant that physically handles the card, sends info to to another friend / accomplice in another state, less exposure for the initial handler,

I'd assume some form of kick-back comes back to original handler. :o

Well, regardless of where it happened, I sure hope this gentleman gets his money back

I use one credit card issued from my credit union in Arizona to use only to transfer funds or get small increments of currency here.

Why would you use a credit card in an ATM machine? I know you can, but interest on the withdrawn cash (normally) kicks in the second the cash hits your hand. Plus, there usually is a nice fee attached.

Does your credit union have an interest-free grace period with cash advances? If not, a debit/ATM card is the most cost-effective way to get money out of machines. At least in my experience.

. . . . .

[A] debit/ATM card is the most cost-effective way to get money out of machines.

Another advantage of a debit card is that you are at risk (in the event of theft) only for the amount of money in the account, which you can control by adding funds to it from time to time as needed.

You are not at risk for anything with a credit card normally. A debit card you do have a risk for loss until it is resolved.

My debit/cc date expired last month, when I talk with bank in USA they said they will not mail a new one to Thailand because of high risk cc fraud.

After a few talks with them they agreed to send an ATM only card.

Good for cash withdrawals only. Requested they send FEDEXPRESS so can be tracked all the way. Cannot be used for online purchases. Hope this helps.

Save money, wear your safty helmet :o