New Rice Planting Machine

I have seen a new type of rice planter. Its a walk along behind rather than a sit on one. Have seen it advertised on telly but missed the details and have also seen one working in the distance. Our local shops dont have them yet but say they are coming soon. Any one got any idea of price for them. Shop wont tell me til they get here and cant find anything on the web.

Thanks

I have also seen a Kubota one - they have one in stock at Kubota Sisaket.

It seemed to be rather flimsy in manufacture, using a lot of plastic - I reckon my family could make it scrap within a week. Price quoted about Bt300-400K. They also make a ride on for about Bt1mil. I thought it was pricey for what it was.

It comes with many seed boxes, probably about 100. The system is that you grow the seedlings in the boxes, roll them out and place them onto the feeder tray. Kubota also have a VCD, which they gave us, which explains the process quite well.

I have also seen a Kubota one - they have one in stock at Kubota Sisaket.

It seemed to be rather flimsy in manufacture, using a lot of plastic - I reckon my family could make it scrap within a week. Price quoted about Bt300-400K. They also make a ride on for about Bt1mil. I thought it was pricey for what it was.

It comes with many seed boxes, probably about 100. The system is that you grow the seedlings in the boxes, roll them out and place them onto the feeder tray. Kubota also have a VCD, which they gave us, which explains the process quite well.

I dont know where you got your figures pnustedt ?

Siam Kubota in bangkok quoted 495,000 for te sit on model and

125,000 for the walk behind model.

Because everyone has been buying them up they will not get another

shipment from Japan until August.

I dont know where you got your figures pnustedt ?

From Kubota in Sisaket where they have a walk behind model in stock.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding ?

Anyway there are 2 Kubota dealers in Sisaket.

Also you can send an email to Khun Maneerat

at [email protected] to get an acurate quote

Anyway there are 2 Kubota dealers in Sisaket.

I am referring to the new dealer with the large showroom on the Utomphom Rd (226) as you leave town on rt, just before you reach the by-pass road.

There used to be 2 Kubota dlrs in Sisaket town before this one opened. AFIK there is only one now, however, we tend to use the dealer in Kantharalak as we get better service from them (they used to have the 2nd, but smaller, branch in Sisaket town). I would not be at all surprised if the Sisaket branch gave us the wrong info.

Thanks for the replies guys.

me n her went up to Satuk today to get some fertiliser etc and stopped off at the Kubota dealer. Spoke with the sales girl there.

Walk behind type 160,000

sit on type 650,000

also out of interest I got the brochures and prices for the combines.

Smaller one is 390,000 and the big one at 890,000

Small one looks perfect for those small paddies. Dont think the big model would be very efficient in there. Let me know if you want me to post scans of brochures.

pnustedt, either there was a mix up in what you were asking for or they were seriously taking the piss with their prices.

midas, quite a difference between Bangkok price and up country price. I guess there was a little falang price involved too and that the family on their own could beat the price down somewhat. As we have a 3 ton truck and a pick up it would make sense to pick one up in Bangkok rather than pay all that extra.

pnustedt, either there was a mix up in what you were asking for or they were seriously taking the piss with their prices.

There was no mixup - the machine was sitting in front of me as I asked.

Be careful with the small Kubota rice harvester. The reaper/pickup is inefficient in all but ideal conditions - I bought a similar one (but bigger) a couple of years ago, made by Yanmar, and sent it back. I think you would be disappointed with it's performance.

Strange though that there is such a difference in price.

Thanks for gen on harvester. Wasnt looking at one just yet but thinking ahead. We are getting more and more land and it seems from what I have seen and what the wife says that fewer people are available to work in the fields each year. I guess the youngsters are all moving to the cities etc. May need mechanical help in a few years time.

THINGS TO BE CONSIDERED WHEN BUYING A PLANTER

We did a side by side trial, "Thai" made corn planter and John Deere finger planter from the US

RESULT 32% yield increase, reasons why? We assume because of plant population, accuracy of spacing and fertilizer placement.

We did a side by side trial, "Thai" made corn planter and John Deere finger planter from the US

RESULT 32% yield increase, reasons why? We assume because of plant population, accuracy of spacing and fertilizer placement.

I presume you mean the John Deere yield 32% more than the Thai version.

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

It doesn't really matter which one was better, the fact was there a 32% yield increase from one is my actual point. Therefore when reffering to Rice transplanters (which I have no knowledege or experience), its the ability for the machine to plant accurately and consistently so you can get your desired plant population, is what I would be looking at.......not JUST how much the machine it costs?!

Which one do you think gave the higher yield?

SAP

Rgds

Khonwan

It doesn't really matter which one was better, the fact was there a 32% yield increase from one is my actual point. Therefore when reffering to Rice transplanters (which I have no knowledege or experience), its the ability for the machine to plant accurately and consistently so you can get your desired plant population, is what I would be looking at.......not JUST how much the machine it costs?!

Which one do you think gave the higher yield?

SAP

I'd rather not buy two just to compare. I GUESS :o you may mean the John Deere was better.

Rgds

Khonwan

I was in Kubota Kantharalak today buying some equipment (not a rice planter). They have some land at the back of their new showroom on which they had been demonstrating the new planter - they had two and they are now in a farm at Khu Kan. They gave me a price of Bt125K each (but they didn't have any in stock), they did say there were some in Ubon tho. As I'm not in the market for one I didn't pursue it. It's too late this year anyway. I didn't know John Deere were marketing a rice planter in Thailand, but I understand that Yanmar were developing one.

There was no mixup - the machine was sitting in front of me as I asked.

Be careful with the small Kubota rice harvester. The reaper/pickup is inefficient in all but ideal conditions - I bought a similar one (but bigger) a couple of years ago, made by Yanmar, and sent it back. I think you would be disappointed with it's performance.

I looked at a rice harvestor (Yanamar), having some time to kill one day. There is no pick up system, appears it would work if crop standing upright. When I looked at the thrashing section of the machine, I could find no air adjustment etc, just a rotateing cylinder which seperated grain from straw. The salesgirl didnt know if it was a combine or a plow until she read the sign, so no help there. Will these machines throw a lot of grain over? What are your experiences with this type of harverster? slapout

What are your experiences with this type of harverster? slapout

Although Yanmar do claim that the machine will pick up flattened rice it is very inefficient in doing so. You have to come at the rice from the direction it has fallen to (not always possible) and you have to continually shunt back and forth. Quite frankly, in these conditions it is quicker to do it by hand.

They are not so bad in good conditions but they are prone to drop a lot of grain. The threshing cylinder is also prone to jamming, especially in wet conditions. I had a manual for the machine in English but returned it with the machine. There is an air adjustment via a lever on the top of the machine.

I understand that the Kubota machine, which is slightly cheaper and has a conventional (for Thailand) pickup is better but I don't have personal experience with it.

Hello All, the New House Ag Magazine has a 40 page article on RICE.

It has many nice color pictures which I understand, not the writing. I think it shows dry land rice growing to, the field goes up a rise, or the Thai's developed a new nam. Well worth the B60 just for the add's, from fig trees to pond liner's.

rice555

Sap, do you mean corn or rice planter, I cant find any sign of a Thai made one. Only ones I have seen are Kubota ones imported from Japan. Also, where did you get hold of a john Deere planter. My JD dealer has no info. They shouldnt be giving us the cold shoulder treatment either as we have bought a tractor from then so they know we are serious.

Thanks

Sap, do you mean corn or rice planter, I cant find any sign of a Thai made one. Only ones I have seen are Kubota ones imported from Japan. Also, where did you get hold of a john Deere planter. My JD dealer has no info. They shouldnt be giving us the cold shoulder treatment either as we have bought a tractor from then so they know we are serious.

Thanks

Yes this was with corn, and I'm just trying to point out to members of the forum, that of all the farm machinery that you purchase the planter is probably the most important one, as it can be in charge of population, depth placement, fertilizer placement and some insecticide control. About 50-70% of yield is determined in the first 7-14 days of growth for most Ag crops.

At the moment we have a connection with an Ag dealer from Iowa who is wanting to know if there is a market for the old row units from farmers trading up their machinery.

We have made up a 2 row proto-type in Thailand already, PM me and I will send photo's and more info.

SAP

• 1 year later...

I know about a monk in Chaing Mai who has invented a rice planting machine and sells it for 12,000 baht. I've seen the demo DVD and it impressed my Isan girl friend, whose family operates a farm, where she's planted rice in prior, as well as this, year. How many of you would like contact details? I understand the machine is now being field tested in Lamphun Province. I know the contact info for the monk. All I ask is that you share what you find out with the rest of us, who have to pay for the hand-planting by the family and their hired hands.

• 2 years later...

What are the contact details of monk in Chaing Mai please.

I know about a monk in Chaing Mai who has invented a rice planting machine and sells it for 12,000 baht. I've seen the demo DVD and it impressed my Isan girl friend, whose family operates a farm, where she's planted rice in prior, as well as this, year. How many of you would like contact details? I understand the machine is now being field tested in Lamphun Province. I know the contact info for the monk. All I ask is that you share what you find out with the rest of us, who have to pay for the hand-planting by the family and their hired hands.