Government Double Pricing

astral

A week ago I went to visit the Phanom Rung historical park, in BuriRam province.

As with all these places I was faced with the double pricing policy,

which I questioned in Thai, pointing out that I have lived here for years.

The girl collecting the money asked if I have a Thai Tax Id card.

I do, and I keep it in my wallet.

When I produced it I was allowed in at the Thai price.

At the Samut Pragan croc. farm my parents and I stayed in the car while my "Thai wife" paid for the tickets, came back to the car . We all tried to enter, and the guy asked me a couple of questions in Thai and let me in. I told him my parents did too, but they never passed the test, not that they cared.

Learn Thai, saves a lot of money and time complaining about double pricing.

Now that's a horse of a different color, in my book. I find the fact that some non-government (tax) supported businesses charge foreigners higher prices to be despicable and worthy of condemnation by refusing to go to such places.

Some years ago, I took a couple of Bkk Thai friends to the snake farm in Mae Rim. Not only was I charged the farang price, but they also tried to charge my Thai friends the farang price to try to cover up their scam. I confronted them, feeling that I would be satisfied with my Thai friends at least getting the Thai price. The owner denied there was dual pricing and refused to back down, so I turned around and went back to my car. At that moment, a van full of farang tourists showed up and I pointed out that they would be charged 3 times the local rate. They told their tour guide to take them some place else...

"Som naam naa", I mouthed to the owner from across the parking lot, as the 1500 baht he expected drove away...

Sure put me in a better mood :o