Thai Country Dessert

corkscrew

Yesterday we tried a traditional Thai home-made dessert using a raw block of ice, thick canned cream, pieces of bread, and some red stuff from a bottle. It tasted like something you would buy at a Ringling Brothers circus a half century ago....a very nostalgic mouthful.

post-9122-1212057779_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1212057795_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1212057850_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1212057907_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1212057959_thumb.jpg

post-9122-1212057990_thumb.jpg

Yesterday we tried a traditional Thai home-made dessert using a raw block of ice, thick canned cream, pieces of bread, and some red stuff from a bottle. It tasted like something you would buy at a Ringling Brothers circus a half century ago....a very nostalgic mouthful.

This is called "nam kang sai" .It is very popular throughout Thailand.You can use any flavor syrup but the Thai's normaly use the "Blue Boy" brand red.

My 16 year old niece was up here during the school holidays and she used to sell it at my wife noodle shop.

We used to go to the ice shop anyway for my wife and they would put the big blocks through the chopper then seperate the small chunks out and she would get the fine chopped remainder. 20 baht for 2 or 3 kg and she would sell it at 5 baht a small bowl.

Very tasty and also an enterprising young girl who is now 17 and looking to go to the agricultural university in Bangkok.

Edited for computer spelling

Please dear God make sure that the next computer that I buy can actually spell what I want and not what it wants

Edited by billd766