Organic Fertiliser

My boss (Wife's) is on the phone talking to her Mum about a new type of Fertliser in Thailand. It's called 'Buu Dang' (Red crab). The company name is Best 59. Apparently it is an organic fertiliser which used to be available only in liquid form making it not very popular with farmers. It is now available in granular form. It sells via agents in different parts of Thailand and the price is fixed at 700 baht per 50kg bag. I'm told it's made from Prawn shells.

Wife keen to become an agent selling the stuff.

Any views, insights, comments or God forbid cynical remarks most welcome. :o

Hi PaddyThai

Obviously high in calcium (required by cassava) but what of N-P-K? No idea but doubt if high, hence would be of no interest to me at that price.

Rgds

Khonwan

My boss (Wife's) is on the phone talking to her Mum about a new type of Fertliser in Thailand. It's called 'Buu Dang' (Red crab). The company name is Best 59. Apparently it is an organic fertiliser which used to be available only in liquid form making it not very popular with farmers. It is now available in granular form. It sells via agents in different parts of Thailand and the price is fixed at 700 baht per 50kg bag. I'm told it's made from Prawn shells.

PT,these fertilizers are typically low N-P-K type high Calcium soil additives mainly used in place of lime or dolomite to alter PH levels.Usually about 4-5-0 + up to 23% calcium.

There are several powdered brands available here (chinese made) I have been using it for liming the pond floors when we pump out .

It is a great soil conditioner for lawns and veggie patches but Thais seem to go for higher NPK ,I think 15-15-15 is about the most popular sold here, so I would not like to speculate on the quantities you might be able to move.

PT,these fertilizers are typically low N-P-K type high Calcium soil additives mainly used in place of lime or dolomite to alter PH levels.Usually about 4-5-0 + up to 23% calcium.

There are several powdered brands available here (chinese made) I have been using it for liming the pond floors when we pump out .

It is a great soil conditioner for lawns and veggie patches but Thais seem to go for higher NPK ,I think 15-15-15 is about the most popular sold here, so I would not like to speculate on the quantities you might be able to move.

I agee with Ozzy and Khonwan

If you took a 50kg bag of dolomite or burnt lime and added 10kgs of 15 15 15 or something similar I think would give approx nutrient value for about 300 bt/bag.

No doubt the BUU DUNG (love the name by the way) will show value for money when used in low-organic low pH soils.

Anyway wouldn't you want to test it yourself first before you start scratching the back pocket??

SAP

On the subject of organic fertilizer,

Can anyone suggest a source of soybean meal or other seed meal in the Chiang Mai Area.

Looking for about 500 kg to mix up my own COF.

Also can anyone give me the Thai name for soy meal.

Thanks

On the subject of organic fertilizer,

Can anyone suggest a source of soybean meal or other seed meal in the Chiang Mai Area.

Looking for about 500 kg to mix up my own COF.

Also can anyone give me the Thai name for soy meal.

Thanks

Hi Pond Life

Soybean meal = กากถั่วเหลือง gàak tùa lĕuang

Rgds

Khonwan

May I humbly suggest that your boss's wife rather sell cowdung as the availability

and cost far outweigh the advantages of the MumboMumbo fertilizer you describe.

My atempt at humour seems to have caused some confusion. My wife is the person who was talking to my Mother-in law. My Mother in-law is keen to become an agent for this new organic fertiliser. I am, by nature, suspicious of easy money schemes and as such was seeking views and opinions from the folks on this forum.

I have since spoken to my Mother in-law who does not have NPK details on fertiliser. All she knows is that in it's liquid form it's very good. But farmers prefer granular form. It is now produced in granular form and that is what she plans on selling.

May I humbly suggest that your boss's wife rather sell cowdung as the availability

and cost far outweigh the advantages of the MumboMumbo fertilizer you describe.

As far as I know cowdung is a good fertiliser (and if I am wrong I am sure that KhonWan will correct me), however I think that you need about 1 ton per rai. Now on 50 rai you will need 50 tons and trying to buy that much locally will be a problem and as for the spreading of the stuff you would probably have to use labour which in turns costs money which in turn costs.........

One man can spread fertiliser on 1 rai more easily and cheaply than cowdung unfortunately.

Any kind of dung is great im sure,if it is maturued over a couple of months with other rotting materials, manure needs to be black,slighlty moist and smell a bit like honey, then its ready for use, its got to be tottally decomposed or it will fight other soil nutrients.

EG, January this year, i dug 6 holes, about 1ft deep,1ft diameter, put in 6in of fresh cow dung, then about 4in soil, planted 5 honeydew melon seeds in each hole, the result was that weeds in the holes grew quicker than the melon plants, Mr Poos cattle are grazing cattle, so that would explain the weed growth to a certain extent, {my fault for not letting it rot down !!}

Anyway, i cleaned the plot and put in some hard-squash melon seeds about 6/7 weeks ago, these are very prolific, already have some near 1ft across, they had a daily watering in the root hole, but now after it rains, i just turn the melon away from the ground and termites,.

It seems the cow dung has come good after a fermenting period.

My next ambition is to grow potatoes, Ive started the ground prep and a muck-heap, ive got the potatoes in the fridge now and they will stay there till early November, SAP and i had several PMs and a few phone calls, not once did he mention anything other than natural de-composed manure, Im going to to give this a real go, primarily for personal use, and if it comes good, who knows?

Cheers, Lickey.

Have been away for over a week, sop apols for not getting back to you guys.

I can confirm NPH of this Organic fertiliser is 15-15-15.

Hi PaddyThai

NPK of 15-15-15 for organic fertiliser doesn't ring true. If possible, please photograph the bag for us showing this info. Were it to be true, at the price you indicate, you'd be on to a winner!

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi PaddyThai

NPK of 15-15-15 for organic fertiliser doesn't ring true. If possible, please photograph the bag for us showing this info. Were it to be true, at the price you indicate, you'd be on to a winner!

Rgds

Khonwan

http://www.thepoodang.com/puipoodang/pui.html

Hi PaddyThai

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks again Khonwan. Web site is taking forever to open and I have high speed broadband. Will show to herself later. What do you think of it? I presume you can read Thai or have someone who can read Thai.

Hi PaddyThai

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks again Khonwan. Web site is taking forever to open and I have high speed broadband. Will show to herself later. What do you think of it? I presume you can read Thai or have someone who can read Thai.

Hi PaddyThai

Copy & paste the text into www.thai2english.com for a translation (an excellent resource – my ability to read Thai is very limited).

Run of the mill organic fertiliser. No claims as to N-P-K values. I can assure you, however, with absolute confidence that it is not 15-15-15 (or anything like it). It suggests 50-70kg per rai in the case of cassava.

A complete waste of money, in my opinion. Just another multi-level sales product relying on sales pitches by aggressive agents rather than qualified information (this is not, of course, directed at you or your family).

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi PaddyThai

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi PaddyThai

Copy & paste the text into www.thai2english.com for a translation (an excellent resource – my ability to read Thai is very limited).

Run of the mill organic fertiliser. No claims as to N-P-K values. I can assure you, however, with absolute confidence that it is not 15-15-15 (or anything like it). It suggests 50-70kg per rai in the case of cassava.

A complete waste of money, in my opinion. Just another multi-level sales product relying on sales pitches by aggressive agents rather than qualified information (this is not, of course, directed at you or your family).

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks again for your comments. My missus spoke to her Mum today. They are still very keen on becoming agents for this fertiliser. I myself am by nature a skeptic. Their reasoning being;

1. Farmers in outlining villages have used it and are delighted with results.

2. Cousin in another area has used it and is happy with results.

3. Locals talk about it and they have sold the first consignment already, thereby recouping their investment.

4. They are confident they will sell much more than the first consignment as locals keep asking them when is fetiliser coming.

I still go back to basics. Where is scientific proof. Company Web site seems to emphaise the Pyramid selling angle as opposed to the Fertilisers qualities.

Anyway, I've had my spake, it's there lives after that.

buu deang- red crab

made from crushed, land crabs from the paddy fields.Active ingredient is chitosan promotes root growth google for more info

Thanks Jandtaa,

Looked up Chitosan and found many complicated Scientific papers. This Canadian Web site mentions Chitosan. I have not yet found much data on its use as a fertiliser.

1 Crop Production 1.2 Crop Production Aids 1.2.7 Plant Disease Control Organic farming places significant emphasis on creating healthy soils with the use of compost and green manures, rotating crops (including underseeding and intercropping), and integrating crops with livestock. These management practices along with proper nutrient and soil management lead to healthy plants and a first-line of defence against diseases. However, at times disease pressures become too great and organic producers may have to be proactive or reactive and use products that may deter the prevalence of some plant diseases.

http://www.acornorganic.org/cgi-bin/organopedia/itemdisplay?128

1.2.7.1 Chitin (CGSB Under Review) Chitin is a natural polymer that is found in crustaceans, such as crabs, lobsters, and shrimp as well as other organisms, such as insects, worms, and fungi. When added to the soil ecosystem, chitin (also referred to as chitosan) promotes the growth of chitin-degrading bacteria. These bacteria, in turn, create a hostile environment for pathogenic fungi and parasitic nematodes. Chitin also acts directly on plants to promote tissue repair and disease resistance.

There are currently no chitin based products registered in Canada as a pesticide.

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested here's an update on the Organic fertiliser story.

Mother in law had been told that they were getting the franchise to be the only sellers of this 'Organic super fertiliser' in Chumphae.

She has since discovered that other farmers have signed up as agents so that they could sell it and get it cheaper for themselves.

They have also discovered that some local shopkeepers are also agents.

Sounds like an Amway, ATTI type selling scheme.

Glad they baled out before paying for stock.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I are growing about 31 types of veggies on our house plot (total 1/2 rai) We're feeding ourselves, a daughter and to some extent another dozen relatives the organic beans, squash, cucumber, and leafy greens picked daily. Today my wife began adding buu dang (Chitosan) to her weekly routine. I am sceptical so came here for advice. The use to create a hostile environment for strngthening roots/resisting pathogenic fungi and parasitic nematodes sounds like what she intends. the retail price was much higher than quoted above, but if it works it'll be worth it for the benefit. I'll try to come back to this post in a few months to report on the results. :o

When I went to buy organic liquid fertilizer the only stuff they had was the Poo Dang. The woman told me it was great and after reading this thread I'm surprised she didn't try to make me an agent.

It's a shame the company website has more to do with pyrimad selling than growing plants, because it the stuff sounds quite interesting. Chitosan is being touted as one of those 'miracle substances' that can fix/cure anything, so it will be interesting to see what happens and hear reports from others.

There's another Thai company making a similar product with info in English, for details click here

• 1 year later...

The DSI has become interested in this company:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1660...ed-pyramid-fund

Though the benefits of chitosan are widely known:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan

http://www.thaiscience.info/Article%20for%...e%20culture.pdf

The DSI allege the company's "factories had produced very few kitozan products despite the large orders it had received. The company also has not kept an inventory of its products".

I bought one of this company's products and failed to get the results claimed; there are plenty of other chitosan manufacturers here who don't feel the need to change its name to "kitozan".