Is It Safe To Broadcast Your Bank Account Number?

Ulysses G.

I have read for years how dangerous it is to give your bank account number to those con-artists that contact you on the internet. I don't understand why it would be unless they have a way to get into your account.

We are starting a foundation to take care of homeless animals and want to make sure that it is safe to publisize the bank account number. Does anyone know anything about this? :o

Set up a special account for receiving donations, empty it regularly.

Makes it easier to keep tabs on how much has been donated too :o

Good luck with your venture :D

Edited by Crossy

what is your bank account number? i'll tell you if it's safe or not...

but seriously. it shouldn't matter unless someone has successfully stolen your identity and using your information to access the account. better to take precautions. Crossy's suggestion is exactly what i'd do if I were you.

I once inadvertantly sent a scanned copy of my bank statement by e mail in support of a visa application. In my haste I forgot to blank out the account number and sort code and even helpfully titled the e mail "Bank details". :o

I immediately phoned the bank, told them what I'd done and asked for advice. I was told that, as long as none of my internet details were included, there was nothing anyone could do with the information. Any written approach to the bank would have to bear my signiture and state current mailing address (even if advising of change of address). Any personal approach to the bank would have to be supported by two separate evidence of ID at least one of which being passport and/or driving licence (i.e. photographic) and one piece showing address.

Still I'd go with Crossy's suggestion.

It seems it can be dangerous giving out you bank details....

From The Telegraph original article here

Motoring television presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been forced to eat some uncharacteristic humble pie after playing down the severity of Labour's lost data scandal.

Jeremy Clarkson eats words over identity theft
Clarkson put his bank details in print

The Top Gear host was so sure that the furore over the lost CDs of data was nothing but "a storm in a teacup" he printed his own bank details in a newspaper, convinced his money would be safe.

He also included instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and gave details about the car he drives, claiming he had "nothing to fear" from identity fraud.

But the exercise left the newspaper columnist with egg on his face when he had to admit that he had been the target of an internet scam.

An unidentified reader copied his details and set up a £500 direct debit from his account payable to the British Diabetic Association.

The charity is one of many organisations which does not need a signature to set up a direct debit.

Clarkson, 47, wrote in the Sunday Times: "Back in November, the Government lost two computer discs containing half the population's bank details.
Article continues
advertisement

"Everyone worked themselves into a right old lather about the mistake but I argued we should all calm down because the details in question are to be found on every cheque we hand out every day to every Tom, Dick and cash and carry.

"To hammer the point home I even printed my own bank account number and sort code.

"And guess what? I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

The discs, which contained the personal details of 25 million Britons, were lost by HM Revenue and Customs and have still not been found.

At the time, Clarkson wrote: "I have never known such a palaver about nothing. The fact is we happily hand over cheques to all sorts of unsavoury people all day long without a moment's thought. We have nothing to fear."

But yesterday, the newly-chastened pundit had changed his tune.

"Contrary to what I said at the time, we must go after the idiots who lost the discs and stick cocktail sticks in their eyes until they beg for mercy," he said.

The Clarkson example suggests to me that there are ways for professional thieves to access ones bank account with the name of the account holder and the number of the account. It probably is usually nothing to worry about unless it is being displayed for the general public.

Does anyone (who is not a troll) disagree?

An unidentified reader copied his details and set up a £500 direct debit from his account payable to the British Diabetic Association.

The charity is one of many organisations which does not need a signature to set up a direct debit.

Right this was not an act of fraud per se but an "I got you" prank which he set himself up for. Unless you are being targetted by someone with malicious intent as I see it you have little to fear. The only way for someone to raid your account is to set up a registered charity and then arrange for the direct debit.

The only worrying bit is the fact that due to the data protection act the bank cannot find out who did it and cannot stop it happening again. As Clarkson says we hand over checks without a second thought and all the information is there.

anybody who is worried to publish his bank account conducts UNSAFE banking :o

Got any advice on how to conduct SAFE banking, Nam? :D

to access my bank account i need three things. userword, password and most important this thingy which displays a six digit number that changes every 60 seconds:

post-35218-1212494454.jpg

Unless you are being targetted by someone with malicious intent as I see it you have little to fear. The only way for someone to raid your account is to set up a registered charity and then arrange for the direct debit.

The only worrying bit is the fact that due to the data protection act the bank cannot find out who did it and cannot stop it happening again.

That would be the criminal who is draining your bank account, wouldn't it?

Don't you think that if there is one way to take money from your account without being detected, there might be others? :o

Never, no, don't do it, you should not.

Now that you know that, heres what to do.

Open an account at pay pal or some other web banking site like that and let people donate to you using their pay pal accounts.

If you can't do that, show people methods to send you email money transfers.

If you get confused, just PM me and I'll set you up. I'm good with all that stuff. :o

to access my bank account i need three things. userword, password and most important this thingy which displays a six digit number that changes every 60 seconds:

who do you bank with? i like that...

The only worrying bit is the fact that due to the data protection act the bank cannot find out who did it and cannot stop it happening again. As Clarkson says we hand over checks without a second thought and all the information is there.

This is nonsense (assuming we are talking about the Data Protection Act in the UK).

If someone has stolen money from your bank account the police simply obtain an authority under the Act obliging the data-holder to disclose the information.

Never, no, don't do it, you should not.

Now that you know that, heres what to do.

Open an account at pay pal or some other web banking site like that and let people donate to you using their pay pal accounts.

If you can't do that, show people methods to send you email money transfers.

If you get confused, just PM me and I'll set you up. I'm good with all that stuff. :o

Is this a set up already?I never ever even let my card go out of my hand to anybody,have to have it? They lose my buisiness,there are so many ways today,not only to steal your money,but your complete identity,just a scan is enough to 'Get at you ' a secure bank number,are you kidding?Read up on this and you will find in 99% of instances of monetary fraud, the crooks have broken just about every safety measure known to man,if not today,tomorrow is soon enough for them.They have even hacked into 'Safe

'government sites and computers,CAUTION should be your one and only piece of advice.

Is this a set up already?I never ever even let my card go out of my hand to anybody,have to have it? They lose my buisiness,there are so many ways today,not only to steal your money,but your complete identity,just a scan is enough to 'Get at you ' a secure bank number,are you kidding?Read up on this and you will find in 99% of instances of monetary fraud, the crooks have broken just about every safety measure known to man,if not today,tomorrow is soon enough for them.They have even hacked into 'Safe

'government sites and computers,CAUTION should be your one and only piece of advice.

paranoid much?

paranoid much?

Not at all,just read a multitude of 'Ripped off 'consumers world wide,being 'Smart 'could cost you big time at some point of your future life,thinking your way,better to be paranoid than flat broke at an inconvenient time in your life .

security is my gig and i do it well, but avoiding purchases with my credit card has never entered my mind. diversify your banking accounts so that if one is compromised (which is rare if you are conscious) you don't lose the whole lot. if you plan on putting a lot in one account then don't even have a card for that account, just transfer funds accordingly in person in the bank to your less secure accounts.

• 1 month later...
Set up a special account for receiving donations, empty it regularly.

Makes it easier to keep tabs on how much has been donated too :o

Good luck with your venture :D

Charities regularly set up direct deposit accounts and do not incur losses. Here's why;

1. Trust account for charity opened. The account is programed to exclude withdrawals or other transfers.Orit can allow funds to only be transferred into another specified account.

2. Each time the balance reaches X, it is transferred into another trust account or you withdraw.

Insurance companies and financial institutions all provide their wire account details to people and companies that must pay. There are few if any successful fraud attempts. These accounts function like night depositories. You can put deposit envelopes in but you can't get at the envelopes.

Ulysses - good luck with your efforts regarding the animals.

Can I suggest you contact SCAD, BKK. They are on the web. One of Thailand's largest charities doing same as you, taking care of Soi Cats and Dogs. Large network of Ferangs (Europeans) involved, headed by an English woman called Sherree Connisbee. I am sure they would provide advice for you, as well as perhaps being able to assist you in your work. They get a great deal of support from European vets, and run travelling neutering clinics from time to time.

They can also provide you with info about networking with others, doing the same work as you, throughout Thailand. Will also provide good advice too when they can. Tel. numbers are all on their website.

Wishing you well with your project.

I administer the securid token system for a major US bank's office in London. Those things cost well over $100 each to replace. I had no idea any bank sent the out to customers.

security is my gig and i do it well, but avoiding purchases with my credit card has never entered my mind. diversify your banking accounts so that if one is compromised (which is rare if you are conscious) you don't lose the whole lot. if you plan on putting a lot in one account then don't even have a card for that account, just transfer funds accordingly in person in the bank to your less secure accounts.

My field too..

It's easy to obtain prepay visa and mastercard debit cards (or even online virtual cards) that you can safely use. You put money on them when you want to buy something and if anyone tries to defraud, it won't work because there's no credit. And you can always just scrap the card if you are worried.