Need Help With Extending Non-b

Hello,

So on March 12 I finally managed to get myself a Non B visa in the belief that I was going to stay with my school a long time and they would get me a work permit but I ended up leaving the school at the start of May and now work somewhere different. My 3 month single entry visa expires on Monday 9th June could somebody please advise me on how I can extend this or if that is even possible? Can I extend this for a further 3 months or just 30 days? What paperwork do I need to supply for applying for an extension? If I extend it for 30 days is it possible to apply for a new 30 day visa in Bangkok or will I have to leave the country again?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way

Do you have a work permit and income that would allow a one year extension of stay? If not you can not extend more than 7 days and that will likely require show of an air ticket out of Thailand within that period.

Hello,

So on March 12 I finally managed to get myself a Non B visa in the belief that I was going to stay with my school a long time and they would get me a work permit but I ended up leaving the school at the start of May and now work somewhere different. My 3 month single entry visa expires on Monday 9th June could somebody please advise me on how I can extend this or if that is even possible? Can I extend this for a further 3 months or just 30 days? What paperwork do I need to supply for applying for an extension? If I extend it for 30 days is it possible to apply for a new 30 day visa in Bangkok or will I have to leave the country again?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way

You can get an extension for a year if both your employer and you qualify. Otherwise you will need to leave and get another visa outside Thailand. As you don't even have a work permit, you will need to leave and get a new non B at a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 3 months later...
You can get an extension for a year if both your employer and you qualify. Otherwise you will need to leave and get another visa outside Thailand. As you don't even have a work permit, you will need to leave and get a new non B at a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Hi, I have exactly the same situation as the person who made this post. How could I find if me and my employer qualify? If so, do you know where I could find out what documentation I need?

Thankyou very much for your help.

just prolly should mention my non-imm B visa finishes on the 8th of October... and where (if I qualify) can I do the extension (Suwan Plu Immigration?)

really appreciate any help on this one.

Do you have, or qualify for a work permit?

Well, I'm not sure- ould you please point me in the direction of that information? I assume I would be....

I really want to turn this into a one year non imm-B visa if possible.

Thanks for the reply- much appreciated.

sorry- I don't currently have a work visa (forgot to mention that). I have only the original non-Imm B visa. I'm working for a fairly reputable company- but the contract was only 4 months- 3 of which are covered by the non-imm B visa. So, I have to extend it- but the boss said if I can find out how to make it a one year visa I may be able to extent the contract.

Cheers.

Freshness, the question was if you have a work permit, not a “work visa” (which is something that does not exist). The work permit is a document issued by the employment department, a green booklet, I believe.

--

Maestro

Freshness, the question was if you have a work permit, not a "work visa" (which is something that does not exist). The work permit is a document issued by the employment department, a green booklet, I believe.

--

Maestro

yes sorry, I dont have a work permit. Would you mind telling me where I could find out about this, or what I need to get one from a non-imm B visa.

Thankyou,

A non-im B visa is only issued as the preliminary to obtaining a work permit (and then a years visa extension). It is issued in order to give you the time to apply for a work permit. If you qualified for a non-im B then you qualify for a work permit.

In short, if you got a non-im B then you qualify for a work permit. If your school isn't helping you with that (and the alarm bells should be ringing if they aren't) then you need to find out what documentation you need for the work permit application.

I'm not sure what the situation would be if you applied - and were issued - a non-im B for one job and were now trying to use that for a different job. I would imagine that problems lie that way (not least of which would be explaining the situation to the Ministry of Labour).

So, if you have a non-im B for the school you are currently at then the process of obtaining a work permit and the years visa should be (ahem) relatively straight forward (and your school should be helping you with this).

If, however, your non-im B is for a previous employer then I think (and I might be wrong) that the best thing would be to get yourself a new non-im B (a couple of days in Laos can be quite nice this time of year when the queues are less) and then complete the process from there.

Like I said though, I'm not sure why you're having to do all this on your own as you can't accomplish any of it without the relevant documents from the school and, if they're telling you you must do it all yourself then you're probably at Sarasas or some other dire institution and should RUN LIKE THE WIND!!

sorry- I don't currently have a work visa (forgot to mention that). I have only the original non-Imm B visa. I'm working for a fairly reputable company- but the contract was only 4 months- 3 of which are covered by the non-imm B visa. So, I have to extend it- but the boss said if I can find out how to make it a one year visa I may be able to extent the contract.

Cheers.

Sorry, my bad. Didn't read the whole post.

I'm not sure that your "reputable" company is quite as reputable as you think. At the very least, they are very ignorant.

As far as I am aware, you are working illegally. You must understand that the non-im B visa IS NOT a working visa (there is, as has been pointed out, no such thing). You MUST have a work permit to legally work in Thailand.

To get this, you first leave the country and get the non-im B visa. Once you have this, you go to the Labour department and get a work permit. It's been a while for me but I seem to remember that the process is then that you go back to immigration and they give you a years visa based on that and then you go back to Labour and they extend the work permit to match (or vice versa - it has been a very long time).

I think you're under the impression that the 3 month non-im B is a permit to work for three months and it isn't. It's the first step in a very short, highly uncomplicated, fun, professional, and very, very efficient system that results in a years work permit and a years visa. The immigration and labour staff are there for your benefit and are always very open, helpful and friendly.

Sorry for the sarcasm. It's a nightmare (especially on your own) but you are only working here legally when you have a work permit and associated visa.