Bringing The Dog

Hi everyone,

Given current economic conditions here in the UK and the need for a break from the rat race, my wife and I are considering taking a couple of years sabbatical in Thailand. The only thing stopping us from getting on a plane tomorrow is our little dog (child !). As i understand it, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it would not be too much of a problem bringing him to Thailand. However, because Thailand is not part of the PETS Travel Scheme we would have to put the dog in quarantine for 6 months upon return to the UK. The cost is not so much of an issue but the thought of the little fella stuck in jail for 6 months in unbearable !

We think we have a possible answer to this problem - but wondered if you good folk may have any thoughts/comments on the following solution. I believe there are not the same quarantine laws on mainland europe, so as long as Alfie has all the necessary vaccinations and paperwork we could take him back from Thailand to Europe. Then, according to the DEFRA website, as long as we stay in Europe for 6 months we would be able to return to the UK without needing to quarantine him. Specifically we would be looking at moving back to Belgium due to my own work commitments in Brussels

So we'd really appreciate any advice on whether you think the above may be workable or not. In addition if anyone has any knowledge of exporting a dog from Thailand to Belgium we'd love to hear your experiences.

Many thanks in advance for your help......

Hi everyone,

Given current economic conditions here in the UK and the need for a break from the rat race, my wife and I are considering taking a couple of years sabbatical in Thailand. The only thing stopping us from getting on a plane tomorrow is our little dog (child !). As i understand it, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it would not be too much of a problem bringing him to Thailand. However, because Thailand is not part of the PETS Travel Scheme we would have to put the dog in quarantine for 6 months upon return to the UK. The cost is not so much of an issue but the thought of the little fella stuck in jail for 6 months in unbearable !

We think we have a possible answer to this problem - but wondered if you good folk may have any thoughts/comments on the following solution. I believe there are not the same quarantine laws on mainland europe, so as long as Alfie has all the necessary vaccinations and paperwork we could take him back from Thailand to Europe. Then, according to the DEFRA website, as long as we stay in Europe for 6 months we would be able to return to the UK without needing to quarantine him. Specifically we would be looking at moving back to Belgium due to my own work commitments in Brussels

So we'd really appreciate any advice on whether you think the above may be workable or not. In addition if anyone has any knowledge of exporting a dog from Thailand to Belgium we'd love to hear your experiences.

Many thanks in advance for your help......

Oh, i forgot to mention that I had heard a rumour that the length of quarantine may be reduced from 6 to 3 months - this might be just about bearable. So again if anyone knows how true this is we'd be interested to hear.

Hi Melpomene,

I think if you have the option to stay in belgium for these 6 months I wouldn't worry too much. Haven't heard of a possible change in quarantine period form 6 to 3 motnhs, though. And then, I even wonder if this also will apply for countries as Thailand.

If you consider to bring your dog and then back to Belgium, please, keep in mind that before traveling back you need to send a blood sample from your dog to Belgium (Pasteur Institute, if I remember well) where they will test the blood for rabies anti-bodies. Once you have the test result back, which is after approximately one month, your dog needs to stay another three months in Thailand before it can travel. Further, it is important that a rabies vaccination is given not less than one month and more than one year before the blood sample is taken. If your vaccines are up to date, then there is no problem.

I hope this helps,

Nienke