Tot Adsl Sme Results - Worst Speed And Service

Parker123

Here are my results from TOT. I have a 4mg SME connection paying 6,800 a month.

What a joke, I have been complaining for weeks, they say to restart and try again each time and it's still the same. I am giving up on getting a decent connection in Bangkok. My dial up was quicker back home or even connecting via my mobile. EDGE or GPRS. I dont understand how people use the internet over here.

These results are connection to the US

281689538.png

What a joke, I have been complaining for weeks, they say to restart and try again each time and it's still the same. I am giving up on getting a decent connection in Bangkok. My dial up was quicker back home or even connecting via my mobile. EDGE or GPRS. I dont understand how people use the internet over here.

281689538.png

Agreed, TOT is terrible. If you can, you should switch to CAT.

I realize the discussion is about Bangkok, but just wanted to mention CAT Hinet via TT&T is also very poor at the moment in Chiang Mai and has been so for over three weeks.

There seems to be problems across the entire board at the moment.

A recent newspaper article suggested that the slow speeds and intermittent dropouts are a result of newly applied logging activities which the ISPs have to carry out by law.

post-6768-1213009630_thumb.jpg

=============================================

I dont understand how people use the internet over here.

=============================================

Now you do .... Today, 6pm .... Cybegold 2MB/512Kb ... 1,000 baht per month.

==============================================

Agreed, TOT is terrible. If you can, you should switch to CAT.

==============================================

You got to be joking ... TOT rules!

Edited by sniffdog

Webfact, are those results with TOT? What connection do you have?

Land line provider is TOT. Internet provider is CSLoxinfo. (ADSL media provider is ADC, thats TOT I guess).

4 MB SME line. 5900 VAT incl. Best speed I ever got was Atlanta - download 3.2 MB! US average is downstream between 2 and 2.5 MB

Webfact, are those results with TOT? What connection do you have?

Land line provider is TOT. Internet provider is CSLoxinfo. (ADSL media provider is ADC, thats TOT I guess).

4 MB SME line. 5900 VAT incl. Best speed I ever got was Atlanta - download 3.2 MB! US average is downstream between 2 and 2.5 MB

Could you please tell an ip address you have?

I want to ping it from various locations to check is there a real difference in ping as well in speed.

post-327-1213011496_thumb.jpg

CSLOXINFO (ADC) 6:30 pm

283686383.png

TT&T Maxnet, 3:09 am, while simultaneously d/l'ing 75 kBps torrents. (= about 600 kbps, so total = about 3500 kbps).

Sometimes it's also good at 3:00 pm, but not often!

283689285.png

I thought I had bad service but I only pay 500THB a month.

281689538.png

• 4 months later...

Here's my results to Dallas from Bangkok (Khet TalingChan) at 7:03pm Thailand time using TOT CyberGold (2048/512). But I will the first to say that tomorrow morning or mid day the below test results could drop significantly (or could be a little higher/better). Although I always get around 1700 to 1800kbs download speed for sites "within" Thailand regardless of the time of day, the "outside" of Thailand (international bandwidth) can vary (drop) significantly during certain hours of the day.

338664871.png

My TOT TV speedtest in Huamark Bkk

Download Speed: 925 kbps (115.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 368 kbps (46 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 313 ms

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:33:44 PM

On a 1 meg/512meg TOT account

Here's my TOT CyberGold 2048/512 (1000 Baht/Mo) speed in Bangkok (Khet TalingChan) on 15 Oct 08/9:15am Thailand time. Actually squeaked out a little more speed that the TOT DSL line is rated at (i.e., I got a 2067 kbs download on a 2048 kbs rated DSL line). But like I said above/in an earlier post, a few hours from now the speed could drop down (or not) to the 200-300kbs range...not a lot of rhyme or reason to the speed depending on day or time of day.

339069433.png

Well I have the TOT 'Goldcyber business' package around 2500 baht a Month.. While it seems more stable than the 'silvercyber and regular goldcyber' packages the speeds available vary from bareable to sh*te to really really sh*te... The day and the time seems to have a huge effect and the download speed ramps up and down in cycles ... I can be downloading a 110kB then it will visably drop to 2kB :o

The last three weeks have been noticable worse than usual with pages taking up to a minute to load and sometime just partially loading before freezing. or the ''cannot find server'' message popping up all the time.. Very annoying as I'm supposedly paying for a premium service.. Well I've had enough and have ordered a line with CAT... Gonna ditch TOT once it's installed ( only hope it's better )

Just tested my line with speedtest...to UK and to BKK.... Any opinions on the results ?

post-39406-1224041430_thumb.jpg

post-39406-1224041395_thumb.jpg

post-39406-1224041418_thumb.jpg

Well I have the TOT 'Goldcyber business' package around 2500 baht a Month.. While it seems more stable than the 'silvercyber and regular goldcyber' packages the speeds available vary from bareable to sh*te to really really sh*te... The day and the time seems to have a huge effect and the download speed ramps up and down in cycles ... I can be downloading a 110kB then it will visably drop to 2kB :o

The last three weeks have been noticable worse than usual with pages taking up to a minute to load and sometime just partially loading before freezing. or the ''cannot find server'' message popping up all the time.. Very annoying as I'm supposedly paying for a premium service.. Well I've had enough and have ordered a line with CAT... Gonna ditch TOT once it's installed ( only hope it's better )

Just tested my line with speedtest...to UK and to BKK.... Any opinions on the results ?

post-39406-1224041430_thumb.jpg

post-39406-1224041395_thumb.jpg

post-39406-1224041418_thumb.jpg

They suck ... I agree with you. Pib and myself get much better results on a cheaper package. I am on Petchburi Rd and have always experienced excellent stability and speed all day during the last 1.5 years.

Perhaps you're in an area which is badly supported.

For me, TOT rules!

Here's my TOT GoldCyber stats from Bangkok (Khet TalingChan) to "London" 15 Oct 08 @ 9:02pm Thailand time.

339299946.png

And here's my speed when doing a Bangkok to "New York" speed test a few minutes later

339301846.png

Earlier in the day the speed for both locations was above 1500Kbs/was much better/faster; like I said earlier it depends on the time of day for me at least. TOT leases its international bandwidth and I expect they try to minimize bandwidth costs during the day while maximizing profits.

Time for me to go to bed...what the heck am I doing running DSL Internet speed checks this time of night...I need to come to grips with the fact that Thailand Internet speed/bandwidth is about 5 years (or more) behind the U.S./Europe. :o

My best guess is that the OP has a problem with the physical line. Can you post your DSL line characteristics (margin, attenuation)? (You can usually find these in the modem/router's management system.)

Could very well be since I think many TOT users get good speed most of the time (i.e., approaching the speed being paid for). But since the OP is getting low speed all the time, I would agree a physical connection/quality of line problem exists. When I run SpeedTest.net tests within Thailand/Bangkok I always get 1700+Kbs speed on my 2048Kbs TOT line, regardless of time or day. And for the great majority of the day I get 1000 to 1700 Kbps speed to international sites in the US/Europe/etc, but about 10% of the time (varies by day and time) I can only get around 200-300Kbs download speed to international sites. I expect this is caused by TOT's international bandwidth being max'ed out.

Now if I could wave a magic wan and fix Thailand's international bandwidth limitation, then we could all just complain about the general 2048Kbs limitation due to the quality of the phone lines. We could then concentrate on longing for that 6Mbs (or more) speed @ around 30 USD that some of us got us to in other countries through the cable TV, DSL, etc., lines. :o

Edited by Pib

some of you guys get better speeds than me, I have tot here in samui, i'm lucky to get 15kps course to get any improvement in speed i gave me router a better dns server to connect to which cut down on some hops, if you notice doing a tracert in windows you easily see that at least from here in samui it takes more than 10 hops just to get out of thailand since from what I have heard tot does not have a international gateway point and relies on CAT to do the job. Also I had to use firefox + noscript to make my pages go a littler faster, mind you also it depends on how many people connecting to a particular website and people on that server.

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried them all and I live upcountry:

Leaseline TOT (guaranteed speed! My ass) 2 MB/2MB line, price 35,000 baht a month:

actual speed 1.8MB down, just 300KB up!

I have also an IPSTAR line from TOT down 2MB up 2MB price 8900 Bht a month, actual speed: in Thailand 2MB down, but just 10% of the 2MB upstream. My old IPSTAR from CSLOX was giving me really almost 100%.

I have also two ADSL: 1 2Mb/512KB which gives me on average 1.4MB /200KB except on Sunday evenings than you can drink coffee make a dinner and than you will figure out that it still hasn't downloaded anything.

and

1 SME ADSL from TOT 4mb/512Kb price 7600 Bht. Same problem.

And last but not least:

2 CDMA, and the CDMA is momentarily the fastest. Never a problem 3.1 down/2Mb up and it gives 75%

As I am sick and tired of TOT, I have asked CAT for a leasline, so I van throw out at least the IPstar and the leaseline from the TOT.

THe CAT makes a deal with you they go for a 2MB lease up and down as low as 15,000 Baht.

Best of all they deliver straight to your home fiber optic instead of the copperline (also with lease) from the TOT.

I depend heavily on the net with my people and thus it must simply work regardless of price. It seems that TOT has a huge problem with the international gateway.

I haven't figured out what went wrong with my IPSTAR though. I am using it for 7 years first on thaicom 1 and 2 and later on the dedicated satellite. Both from Shin and TOT. Till a month it go even TOT worked fine, than an Einstein like technician came in, cut off my cables in the middle of my office, realizing that they were fitted in the cement, and than replaced them with thicker cables. Since than I have nothing but trouble. Inside Thailand it is so so, outside it is disaster.

For about the last week and half my TOT GoldCyber (2048MB/512MB) has really sucked for international sites. That is, VERY SLOW! The TOT DSL went down for about 6 hours in my area of Bangkok about a week and half ago. When calling they said they had a hardware problem affecting a wide area. When the DSL came back online my international speed/bandwidth was approx 100KB and has been that way since (before I would consistently get over 1.5MB downstream for international sites). I "within Thailand access speed is up around 2MB.

When calling TOT on 11 Nov to complain they were aware of the much slower international bandwidth problem and said it should be fixed soon and I should call back at the end of the month if it's not fixed. Now from 11 Nov to the end of Nov that is approx 3 weeks--I guess that is soon in TOT's book. I have few hopes the slow international access/bandwidth will be fixed; I have this gut feeling TOT is cutting back on international bandwidth.

I'm looking to switch from TOT DSL. I have a good quality local phone/DSL connection and can pull close to 2MB/sec download speed from sites within Thailand. I've been looking at JI-NET. Does anyone have experience with JI-NET here in Bangkok? And if so, which one of their DSL packages are you using? Any of ISP recommendations would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Can someone explain to me the wide variance in international speeds throughout the day and night?

I have TOT gold cyber (2 meg service I believe) and on the international side (Pattaya to Atlanta) it can be as low as 60 KB and then in the middle of the night as "fast" as almost 1 meg. (rarely that fast).

What is the technical reason for this variance? Am I sharing the line with others in my high rise building?

To use an analogy, I think it boils down to how many times the main water line is being tapped into. If only a couple people tap into the line you get good water pressure (speed); if a bunch of people tap into the line, you get low water pressure...the water just drips out of your hose. During the day more people of tapping into the water line. I've heard from several sources that TOT uses a 50 to 1 user ratio on it's DSL circuits.

Now, I will be the first to admit that the high user ratio is probably not the whole answer; if excluding the physical line factor (i.e., how good your local connection is) the rest of the answer is TOT may be reducing the size of it main water line for whatever reasons. Even if only a couple of folks had their water hoses hooked up to the main line, if the main line size/pressure has been reduced, there ain't going to be much water coming out of your water hose.

TOT 2048/512KB Goldcyber continues to amaze...after a week and half of dropping down to around 100KB/sec in international bandwidth/speed, tonight at around 8:45pm I'm getting around 800KB/sec to the east and west coast of the U.S. See below. Maybe it will continue to improve and get back to around 1500KB/sec like I was getting before my area of Bangkok lost TOT DSL for about 6 hours. I'm still interested in what you JI-NET subscribers get international bandwidth/speed-wise. Thanks.

358000963.png

358001987.png

At approx 9:50pm...international bandwidth speed getting faster on TOT Goldcyber.

Below are New York, San Francisco, London, and Sidney speed results at approx 9:50pm/18Nov08/Tuesday:

358032933.png

358034236.png

358031203.png

358032236.png

Wonder if TOT fixed the problem in my area which started about a week and half ago? I will have to run some more tests Wednesday morning and over the coming days. But for sure, I can definitely tell the difference in my general browsing of the Internet--much faster this afternoon...back to what I was experiencing with TOT up until the problem which started recently. I'll keep my fingers crossed the problem is fixed (for now). Still interested in how you JI-NET folks fair international speed-wise. Thanks.