Woman Drugs Ailing Husband In Mercy Killing And Kill Herself

george

Woman drugs ailing husband in mercy killing and kill herself

BANGKOK: -- A newly-wed couple were found dead inside an apartment and a suicide letter showed that the woman apparently drugged her husband to death out of her love for him and took the sleeping pills to follow him.

The bodies Kunnat Promle, 30, and Sukanya Sriyai, 30, were found inside their rented room at the City Apartment on Soi Charansanitvongse at 3 pm Monday.

They were lying in the bed, hugging each other.

Police found 10 empty packets of sleeping pills, their marriage certificate and Sukanya's suicide letter in the room.

According to the letter, the two registered their marriage on Friday, and Sukanya laced her husband's dinner with strong dose of sleeping pills and she took the pills to kill herself.

Police said the man got a stroke two months ago.

Sukanya said in the letter that they registered their marriage at the Nakhon Chaisri district office in the morning and she said she was very happy.

But she said she noticed that her husband suffered from a great pain but pretended to be all rights to keep her happy.

She wondered what to do to help her husband escaped the suffered and she decided to lace the dinner with sleeping pills and took the pills herself.

-- The Nation 2008-06-09

In Thailand, psychiatric care seems to be almost non-happening.

Just in my little rural village of about 150 people, there appear to at least two dozen who are missing on a few cylinders, judging on how they wander aimlessly around the sois.

I've always thought the wats, and specifically learned monks there, were supposed to fill that role : of offering social and psychiatric-like assistance to ordinary Thais. If so, perhaps they should take a more pro-active role (make it known they're available for counseling) - rather than their usual reclusive role.

Tragic story.

The woman sounds like a nutcase.

On the contrary she could very have well been so overwhelmed by the situation and so filled with love for the huband, she believed this was the only option. Suicides in situations like this are acts of desperation, not mental illness.

What would you do if;

- you did not have access to rehabilitative services.

- you were the sole caregiver and sole income source.

- you deeply cared for someone and had to watch that person suffer discomfort and frustration.

Caring for a stroke victim is difficult in the best of circumstances, so just imagine what it was like for this woman in a country where the disabled are hidden from sight.

Do you realize that the woman probably couldn't even wheel her husband out for some fresh air? When's the last time you saw a building in Thailand, let alone a sidewalk that was disabled friendly?

I don't think you'd have the same opinion if you had spent a few days in that woman's place.

Very sad and my condolences to the friends and family of both victims. I have no moral problem with suicide, but I do with homicide. I don't see where this guy indicated he wished to go with her. If this is the case it is even more tragic.

I agree with your points GK, but to be honest she still sounds a bit crazy. I appreciate the guy was in pain, but killing him then killing herself still sounds a bit nutty to me. (for want of a better word).

Murder followed by suicide.

Agree!

We don't know if the man had a strong desire to live even with his current pain. Let's not forget the guy was only 30. We just don't what he wanted.

The letter was from the wife only.

But tragic indeed.

I don't have a Thai wife (yet) but it makes you wonder about getting old with one where the language communication may be limited when it comes to very personal thoughts. You may want to be carefully about complaining (farang style) about being or appearing to be, greatly suffering. Your Thai wife, out of loyalty and love, may want to end your suffering permanently.