Treatment For Body Lice(crabs)

Zodiac

A friend in Pattaya told me symptoms that sound like body lice so I suggested to my friend to get Jacutin gel. But more than one pharmacy said it is banned in Thailand now, a fact confirmed by a google search.

Can anyone please recommend an over the counter treatment available through Pharmacies in Thailand for the aforementioned condition?

A treatment that is hopefully usually effective and is available in Pattaya?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Zodiac

I caught a dose of crabs in Phuket once. So hard to get rid of, more like lobsters ! And I am Registered Nurse. Ended up having to shave all my lower body hair off, and wait for the breeding cycle to cause them to fizzle out. I keep myself shaved whilst in Thailand now

:o

My thanks to those who have posted replies.

I referred my friend to a hospital doctor in Pattaya who subsequently perscribed "Hexin Lice Killer Cream"which apparently contains 'Lindane' which is meant to be an effective deterrent.

A tube of the cream can be obtained from many Pattaya pharmacies for 20/30 baht.

Edited by Zodiac

Good thing they banned Jacutin. It can kill asthmatics and is carcinogenic. It has already been banned in much of the world. However, I find the suggestion for lindane cream odd. Jacutin is lindane.

Also, as long as we are talking about critters, body lice, head lice, and public lice are different bugs and usually require different medicines to kill.

http://www.cdc.gov/lice/

Also, body lice are kind of rare in modern times and more often seen in people who never change their clothes. Head lice and pubic lice very common.

In general, advise from Thai pharmacists is at your own risk. You are even lucky to get good advise from a doctor here. Pharmacists just sell what they sell.

Edited by Jingthing

Is body lice the same thing as scabies? There was an outbreak at my daughters kindergarten 2 years ago (Hua Hin) and we bought Jacutin gel from the pharmacy to tackle it (which it did very well). So I assume it has only been banned recently??....

A friend in Pattaya told me symptoms that sound like body lice so I suggested to my friend to get Jacutin gel. But more than one pharmacy said it is banned in Thailand now, a fact confirmed by a google search.

Can anyone please recommend an over the counter treatment available through Pharmacies in Thailand for the aforementioned condition?

A treatment that is hopefully usually effective and is available in Pattaya?

Many thanks in advance!

A blow torch should get rid of em, assuming they havent banned soothing cream as well?

roy gsd :o

• 1 year later...
Good thing they banned Jacutin. It can kill asthmatics and is carcinogenic. It has already been banned in much of the world. However, I find the suggestion for lindane cream odd. Jacutin is lindane.

Also, as long as we are talking about critters, body lice, head lice, and public lice are different bugs and usually require different medicines to kill.

http://www.cdc.gov/lice/

Also, body lice are kind of rare in modern times and more often seen in people who never change their clothes. Head lice and pubic lice very common.

In general, advise from Thai pharmacists is at your own risk. You are even lucky to get good advise from a doctor here. Pharmacists just sell what they sell.

=============

Great Advice! thanks. FROM CDC link above

1. Lindane shampoo 1%;
    Brand name products: None available
    Lindane is an organochloride. Although lindane shampoo 1% is approved by the FDA for the treatment of head lice, it is not recommended as a first-line therapy. Overuse, misuse, or accidentally swallowing lindane can be toxic to the brain and other parts of the nervous system; its use should be restricted to patients who have failed treatment with or cannot tolerate other medications that pose less risk. Lindane should not be used to treat premature infants, persons with a seizure disorder, women who are pregnant or breast-feeding, persons who have very irritated skin or sores where the lindane will be applied, infants, children, the elderly, and persons who weigh less than 110 pounds.

http://' target="_blank">

Which medicine is best?

If you aren’t sure which medicine to use or how to use a particular medicine, always ask your physician, pharmacist, or other health care provider. CDC does not make recommendations about specific products. When using a medicine, always carefully follow the instructions contained in the package or written on the label, unless the physician and pharmacist direct otherwise.

When treating head lice

1. Do not use extra amounts of any lice medication unless instructed to do so by your physician and pharmacist. The drugs used to treat lice are insecticides and can be dangerous if they are misused or overused.
  2. Do not treat an infested person more than 2-3 times with the same medication if it does not seem to be working. This may be caused by using the medicine incorrectly or by resistance to the medicine. Always seek the advice of your health care provider if this should happen. He/she may recommend an alternative medication.
  3. Do not use different head lice drugs at the same time unless instructed to do so by your physician and pharmacist.

ALSO the same link recommends:

1. Pyrethrins (pie-WREATH-rins) combined with piperonyl butoxide (pie-PER-a-nil beu-TOX-side);
    Brand name products: A-200*, Pronto*, R&C*, Rid*, Triple X*.
    Pyrethrins are naturally occurring pyrethroid extracts from the chrysanthemum flower. Pyrethrins are safe and effective when used as directed. Pyrethrins can only kill live lice, not unhatched eggs (nits). A second treatment is recommended in 9-10 days to kill any newly hatched lice before they can produce new eggs. Treatment failures can be common depending on whether lice are resistant to pyrethrins in the patient’s geographic location. Pyrethrins generally should not be used by persons who are allergic to chrysanthemums or ragweed.
  2. Permethrin lotion 1% (per-meth-rin);
    Brand name product: Nix*.
    Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid similar to naturally occurring pyrethrins. Permethrin lotion 1% is approved by the FDA for the treatment of head lice. Permethrin is safe and effective when used as directed. Permethrin kills live lice but not unhatched eggs. Permethrin may continue to kill newly hatched lice for several days after treatment. A second treatment often is necessary in 9-10 days to kill any newly hatched lice before they can produce new eggs. Treatment failures can be common depending whether lice are resistant to permethrin in the patient’s geographic location. Permethrin is not approved for use in children less than 2 years old.