Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

So on Friday night I took the missus out for our first meal out in Ban Chang.

We chose the Bella Vista as she wanted to see what Danish Food is like, but there didn't seem to be any and the menu was mainly Mexican and 1 Thai dish.

So we ordered Burritos and the small pork ribs. Small? it could have fed me for a week, I only ate half of it and took the other half home. The missus was similarly stuffed on only 1 of the 2 burritos presented.

Both meals were delicious and well presented and the plates were overflowing.

Price was reasonable but we could have done with half the food at half the price.

Only criticism is that the restaurant could do with some fans as the weather was a bit sticky and no breezes to move the air.

I eat here quite regularly, and usually there is a sea breeze that cools the air. The weather has been very muggy here recently.

The Danish nationality of the owner is not represented by the style of food served there. The steak is v. good value, as is the salmon and halibut steaks. :o They also do a very good schnitzel off-menu, sometimes as a special.

How about pizza? My gf loves real pizzas - both American and Italian style, and hates the Thai chain-pizzas. Any suggestions?

Also tried Italian Bistro 43 on the weekend - had great har-gow (Chinese dim-sum shrimp dumplings), and some of the pizzas had real anchovies!. Nice to have a variety of sashimi too. Pizza, dim-sum and sushi - heaven! Alas, when we went back on Monday to pig out again there was no buffet. Is the buffet only on weekends?

thanks, Mark

How about pizza? My gf loves real pizzas - both American and Italian style, and hates the Thai chain-pizzas. Any suggestions?

Also tried Italian Bistro 43 on the weekend - had great har-gow (Chinese dim-sum shrimp dumplings), and some of the pizzas had real anchovies!. Nice to have a variety of sashimi too. Pizza, dim-sum and sushi - heaven! Alas, when we went back on Monday to pig out again there was no buffet. Is the buffet only on weekends?

thanks, Mark

Try either offshore bar in Ban Chang or the Camel bar, both have pizza ovens, dont know what they like as dont eat the sh*t

thanks, Mark

A pizza place that delivers would be good as Pizza Hut won't deliver to Ban Chang.

We have to go to Pattaya for weekends to get a fix and order an extra one to bring back.

thanks, Mark

A pizza place that delivers would be good as Pizza Hut won't deliver to Ban Chang.

We have to go to Pattaya for weekends to get a fix and order an extra one to bring back.

Both the Camel and Offshore bar deliver pizza's in Ban Chang...

Try either offshore bar in Ban Chang or the Camel bar, both have pizza ovens, dont know what they like as dont eat the sh*t

Thanks everyone for all the answers - hope I didn't offend by asking about the "sh*t"!!!

I like non-sh*t food too - had Gaeng Penang for breakfast today....

I should have asked about Indian food too. Any real Indian food in the Rayong area?

For a Thai woman, my gf is very adventurous - likes Italian, Indian, Greek, Mexican, big steaks, and just about everything except sushi (so far!).

Cheers, Mark

p.s. - not looking for home delivery - willing to ride anywhere for good food!

Edited by wjmark

Out and about today and had some shopping to do at Lotus in BC. I noticed as we drove in to the car parking area there is what I believe to be a new Pizza place open on the inner drive way strip of shop houses near Lotus. For those familiar with the place it will be on the very end of the row of shops opposite the store and carpark. The last shopfront. I did not see a name other than Pizza Place and did not stop to ask about it. Next time I am around I may stop to see what they have to offer.

I've tried that pizza place down the end of shop houses opposite lotus carpark

it was alright - nothing to get excited about

the camel does the best pizzas in ban chang

but there's no really great pizza place here

by the way -just for a change i've had the schwarma ( Chicken or beef) form the little restaraunt on the left inside simthavee park-

pretty good at about 70 baht

makes a nice change- the place is run by a north african guy with thai gf-- egyptian/lybian/algerian-- not sure which so the taste is authentic!

When you hit namrin beach turn left and the restaurant with " open " in English is the first one you come to which is well built and set back up the hill off beach road. Owned by a Thai traffic cop and his lovely family. Daughter in US uni son in English syatem both speak excellent English and have helped with a clear English menu.

Fantastic food, good service, genuine people.

This restaurant name is Baan Bai Boon and there's now a big neon Pepsi sign outside it at the roadside. It's not hard to miss anyway as it's the only place along there once you've turned left onto the beach road.

Ate there last night and the food was very good and a good price too (400 Baht for a meal for 2 with a large beer) :o . Could become a regular as it's the closest place to my house that's been mentioned.

Food at the Old Beach House not as good as it was. Hope it gets better (change the chef) as its a nice chilled out place to eat.

I like the Old Beach House, but my wife doesn't think much of the food there and isn't keen to go back. I think the atmosphere makes up for the food a little though.

In Rayong right at the beach where the Kantary Bay is located there is a nice Swiss Restaurant. When you are heading from the Sukhumvit to the Kantary Bay, not turn right at the T intersection but left. Then you'll find it after maybe 500 m on the left side. Sorry I forgot the name (Something like Seefa Restaurant, not sure).

Otherwise the Offshore Bar at Ban Chang is nice, and opposite to the opinion of one of the writers here, I find the Pizza aroy!

Sorry but I can't eat those delivered Pizza xyz anymore.....;-)

Good call on Baan Bai Boon PP. Took friends there last night and had some really good food, definatly start using it more often.

We went there this afternoon for a meal. Other than the fact that they couldn't do two of the dishs we asked for the food we very good. We were the only ones there so the service was of course very good too. Meal of three dishs, rice and a beer for 550 Baht. Recommended.

Good call on Baan Bai Boon PP. Took friends there last night and had some really good food, definatly start using it more often.

We went there this afternoon for a meal. Other than the fact that they couldn't do two of the dishs we asked for the food we very good. We were the only ones there so the service was of course very good too. Meal of three dishs, rice and a beer for 550 Baht. Recommended.

Often happens. The Momma insists on fresh food. If she doesn't have the right stuff, smiles and apologies all round. However extensive ( probably over extensive ) menu so never a problem. Did you check out their magnificent Thai Ridge-back dog ? Scary beast.

Often happens. The Momma insists on fresh food. If she doesn't have the right stuff, smiles and apologies all round. However extensive ( probably over extensive ) menu so never a problem. Did you check out their magnificent Thai Ridge-back dog ? Scary beast.

I saw they had some 'exotic' dishes on the menu but didn't notice the dog. How does it taste?

I tried the Pizza House takeaway next to Tesco last night and wasn't really impressed. I think the best places for pizza in the Chang are the Offshore and the Camel.

My favourite places for Thai food are; Food garden (opposite the PTT and it has a huge tree), Chai talay (overlooking the beach near the Pala Beach Cliff hotel. Black Canyon and MK Suki at Tesco are nice for a change. The Purimas hotel can be excellent but the quality is a bit hit and miss as I've had the occasional dodgy meal.

Like a number of people have mentioned its a shame that the Beach House Barbecue closed down. I believe its for sale if any entrepreneurial TV member wants to re-open it :o

If you try and take a bite, I'll pay your bills there for a year !!! :o

But seriously folks, their peppered Ostrich is really worth the go, as is the cumin chicken.................lovely

Thats what I had and I can second that. I actually wanted the deer but they didn't have any.

Seafood shacks along Maelampung. Best seafod outside of China town, in my opinion

I echo that, for fresh seafood only; the best one is a shop on the right hand side with a pink front, being one of several in a row, opposite a large car parking area. You'll find it attracts the most customers.

by the way -just for a change i've had the schwarma ( Chicken or beef) form the little restaraunt on the left inside simthavee park-

pretty good at about 70 baht

makes a nice change- the place is run by a north african guy with thai gf-- egyptian/lybian/algerian-- not sure which so the taste is authentic!

The restaurant is called 'Tarphajun', his name is Majhadi (Lebanese/Palestinian?) and his Thai partner is Boo. Recommended, they offer a variety of continental and Thai cuisine including pizzas and kebab, may take you a while though to look through the menus! I spoke with him and he said that customer satisfaction was his #1 priority there, he pays his staff well and expects the best. Tell him that Egon Ronay 'David from Rayong' sent you :o .

• 2 weeks later...

We tried 'Bella Vista', near Phala beach in Ban Chang, the other night. We were very disappointed. The location was very good, having never been down there before, and it being right on the shore. Call me tight but we thought the prices were high. I wouldn't have minded this if it had been an exceptional experience. The food was ok but a little sickly for both our tastes. The steak was very good quality though. The thing that ruined it for us was the state of the beach that we were sat 20 feet from. It was absolutely covered in garbage. There was even four open bin bags of rubbish by the side. I have come to expect this from a Thai run establishment but expect better from a Ferang place, especially when I'm paying higher than normal prices. For a lot less we could have eaten better in a better environment in a few other places in Ban Chang. We certainly won't be going back.