'breakthough Car Runs On Water'

Farma

'Breakthough car runs on water'

From correspondents in Tokyo

June 13, 2008 11:26pm

TIRED of petrol prices rising daily at the pump? A Japanese company has invented an electric-powered, and environmentally friendly, car that it says runs solely on water.

Genepax unveiled the car in the city of Osaka on Thursday, saying that a litre of any kind of water - rain, river or sea - was all that was needed to get the engine going for about an hour at a speed of 80 km.

"The car will continue to run as long as you have a bottle of water to top up from time to time," Genepax CEO Kiyoshi Hirasawa told local broadcaster TV Tokyo.

"It does not require you to build up an infrastructure to recharge your batteries, which is usually the case for most electric cars."

Once the water is poured into the tank at the back of the car, the a generator breaks it down and uses it to create electrical power, TV Tokyo said.

Whether the car makes it into showrooms remains to be seen. Genepax said it had just applied for a patent and is hoping to collaborate with Japanese auto manufacturers in the future.

Most big automakers, meanwhile, are working on fuel-cell cars that run on hydrogen and emit - not consume - water.

Source http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

TIRED of petrol prices rising daily at the pump? A Japanese company has invented an electric-powered, and environmentally friendly, car that it says runs solely on water.

that's nothing new. my grandmother used a water-powered helicopter in 1936 during her trip around the world. unfortunately she ran out of water (no supermarket near by), downed and drowned in the Pacific Ocean.

Electrolysis of water is (I've heard) only 50-70% efficient. Hydrogen is not a source of energy but a reservoirs to store energy captured from another process whether through solar, wind, or other means of generating energy.

Apparently they have developed a process that forces water through a non-energy-consuming machine that can split water into hydrogen and oxygen. I applaud them if they have managed to conquer all known science to make energy out of nothing.

Probably a load of shit though.

There may be something to this, "We've seen plenty of promises about water-powered cars (among other things), but it looks like Japan's Genepax has now made some real progress on that front, with it recently taking the wraps off its Water Energy System fuel cell prototype. The key to that system, it seems, is its membrane electrode assembly (or MEA), which contains a material that's capable of breaking down water into hydrogen and oxygen through a chemical reaction. Not surprisingly, the company isn't getting much more specific than that, with it only saying that it's adopted a "well-known process to produce hydrogen from water to the MEA." Currently, that system costs on the order of ¥2,000,000 (or about $18,700 -- not including the car), but company says that if it can get it into mass production that could be cut to ¥500,000 or less (or just under $5,000). Head on past the break for a video of car in action courtesy of Reuters."

If this is actually true and works I don't see it been developed for a long long time, a government or Oil company will go to the developers and offer them a certain amount of money for the technology and then file it until the time comes that we have exhausted all oil supplies. Can you imagine how much something like this would be worth. What would the Gulf States or Russia offer to keep this off the market? Issangeorge.

In the same way some people consider electric powered cars do not pollute, the energy must come from somewhere - even if the water is acting with dried powders or metal plates - it is not a closed cycle.

In a nuclear powered universe we are still burning carbon.

Gravelrash, I agree with your comment and it is really sad that there's not others that would have thought the same. Someone has to come up with some viable way to do energy differently. Granted the oil companies are going to put a big foot on anything anyone can come up with but sooner or later it will and also HAS TO HAPPEN.

Seriously, I think alternative energy sources get lots of attention, what with the price of oil becoming astronomical. It just takes decades to develop a method and infrastructure and culture to make it all work. There are many 'breakthroughs' announced almost daily, yet they are very slow to come to market.

I have not yet put a deposit down for that flying car that runs on dog manure.

Hello :o

To all those mocking things up here - a similar invention was made over 40 years ago, and back then it was indeed bought by an oil company and forgotten. The inventor died "under mysterious circumstances" a short time later.

I once owned a wrist watch that ran on water. Simple concept - one piece of copper, one piece of lead or aluminium - hold them into a glas of water and meaurs the voltage between them, you'll get roughly 0.5 Volts. Three of those "elements" switched behind one another and you'll get 1.5 Volts and enough current to run something like a digital clock.

Now make the water slightly acidic (try it with Pepsi, or, no joke - piss!) and a single "element" will yield the 1.5 Volts. Also you can swap the material of the electrodes - the highest voltage you get when one is gold, the other carbon (the lead of a pencil works just fine for that!), stick 'em into a lemon and you can run a digital clock for almost a month on it (because the lemon dries out).

NOW, imagine a shitload of these elements in small format (like in that watch that i had, there was three elements in it, all together the size of maybe 2x3 cm's, filled with ordinary water thru a hole on the side) and you have a very powerful battery (voltage-wise, that is) and now all you need is to convert the 100.000 Volts/0.0001 Ampere to something useful for an electric motor and there you have it - a vehicle that runs on nothing but water, and all you need to manufacture is a lot of little sticks of, say, copper and carbon. For copper simply use wire (duh!) and carbon shouldn't be a problem, either.

Oh yeah, the carbon electrodes WILL get used up eventually - that's how this process works, electrons from the less noble material will travel (through the circuit, hence the generated electricity) to the nobler material. After some time, the less noble material will be out of electrons - used up. However this sure takes long enough to make such "battery" usable for a number of years (i had my watch almost 5 years before i got it stolen in school).

Best regards.....

Thanh (who loved chemistry in school and had quite some success on making hydrogen at home as well as running all sorts of things on potatoes, lemons and apples)

Whilst there are still crude and gas supplies on tap, any alternative technologies will be violently suppressed by Big Oil and their government lackies. The last big price shock in 1973 was a warning. What did governments do to promote new sources of propulsion? Nothing!

Here's another nice invention, a car that runs on air :o

http://www.theaircar.com/acf/

Tompa,

But it appears that the AirCar is fraud. Search forbes for 'driving on air' and read the comments.

It appears that Forbes will not allow the truth to get in the way of a good story -

Saw the aircar on TV last night, one of the pseudo-science programmes made an air powered moped to deliver sandwiches around Bath UK, they visited Aircar for a test-drive, seemed impressive but no real indication of range or power. The 'moped' managed 4km at 20mph on two scuba tanks (actually Fire Brigade breathing apparatus tanks).

Edited by Crossy

There may be something to this, "We've seen plenty of promises about water-powered cars (among other things), but it looks like Japan's Genepax has now made some real progress on that front, with it recently taking the wraps off its Water Energy System fuel cell prototype. The key to that system, it seems, is its membrane electrode assembly (or MEA), which contains a material that's capable of breaking down water into hydrogen and oxygen through a chemical reaction. Not surprisingly, the company isn't getting much more specific than that, with it only saying that it's adopted a "well-known process to produce hydrogen from water to the MEA." Currently, that system costs on the order of ¥2,000,000 (or about $18,700 -- not including the car), but company says that if it can get it into mass production that could be cut to ¥500,000 or less (or just under $5,000). Head on past the break for a video of car in action courtesy of Reuters."

If this is actually true and works I don't see it been developed for a long long time, a government or Oil company will go to the developers and offer them a certain amount of money for the technology and then file it until the time comes that we have exhausted all oil supplies. Can you imagine how much something like this would be worth. What would the Gulf States or Russia offer to keep this off the market? Issangeorge.

Hit Man + Bullet= Cheap Fix

The 'moped' managed 4km at 20mph on two scuba tanks (actually Fire Brigade breathing apparatus tanks).

But what energy source powered the air compressor?

In all this it is amazing how many people think that the world's entire oil production goes into making gasoline for their little cars.

The 'moped' managed 4km at 20mph on two scuba tanks (actually Fire Brigade breathing apparatus tanks).

But what energy source powered the air compressor?

In all this it is amazing how many people think that the world's entire oil production goes into making gasoline for their little cars.

Bloody great electric motor!

I wonder what the overall energy efficiency of this arrangement is, I reckon it's going to be down in the single digit percentages even discounting power station figures.

The task was to make a zero-emissions vehicle, which they did (and got it road-legal) :o

:o

Hello

To all those mocking things up here - a similar invention was made over 40 years ago, and back then it was indeed bought by an oil company and forgotten. The inventor died "under mysterious circumstances" a short time later.

I once owned a wrist watch that ran on water. Simple concept - one piece of copper, one piece of lead or aluminium - hold them into a glas of water and meaurs the voltage between them, you'll get roughly 0.5 Volts. Three of those "elements" switched behind one another and you'll get 1.5 Volts and enough current to run something like a digital clock.

Now make the water slightly acidic (try it with Pepsi, or, no joke - piss!) and a single "element" will yield the 1.5 Volts. Also you can swap the material of the electrodes - the highest voltage you get when one is gold, the other carbon (the lead of a pencil works just fine for that!), stick 'em into a lemon and you can run a digital clock for almost a month on it (because the lemon dries out).

NOW, imagine a shitload of these elements in small format (like in that watch that i had, there was three elements in it, all together the size of maybe 2x3 cm's, filled with ordinary water thru a hole on the side) and you have a very powerful battery (voltage-wise, that is) and now all you need is to convert the 100.000 Volts/0.0001 Ampere to something useful for an electric motor and there you have it - a vehicle that runs on nothing but water, and all you need to manufacture is a lot of little sticks of, say, copper and carbon. For copper simply use wire (duh!) and carbon shouldn't be a problem, either.

Oh yeah, the carbon electrodes WILL get used up eventually - that's how this process works, electrons from the less noble material will travel (through the circuit, hence the generated electricity) to the nobler material. After some time, the less noble material will be out of electrons - used up. However this sure takes long enough to make such "battery" usable for a number of years (i had my watch almost 5 years before i got it stolen in school).

Best regards.....

Thanh (who loved chemistry in school and had quite some success on making hydrogen at home as well as running all sorts of things on potatoes, lemons and apples)

You can't help but wonder how far you would get on a gallon of piss since it appears to be 3x as powerfull as water. It would work great here, a hose to direct the piss to the tank, a carton ob beer next to the driver and you are off no stops required to fill up or to relieve your self. :D

Sorry clausewitz just couldn't resist.

Best regards.....

Indeed - if you had loved physics and mathematics as well you would have an understanding of Power (and electrical Current required to do any useful work in terms of electric motors) and 'The Conservation Of Energy'. BTW I think you will find it's a bit more complex than 'using up electrons'. For a start consider the energy to weight ratio of your potatoes and lemons compared to petrol.

Edited by Cuban

'Breakthough car runs on water'

From correspondents in Tokyo

June 13, 2008 11:26pm

Genepax unveiled the car in the city of Osaka on Thursday, saying that a litre of any kind of water - rain, river or sea - was all that was needed to get the engine going for about an hour at a speed of 80 km.

"The car will continue to run as long as you have a bottle of water to top up from time to time," Genepax CEO Kiyoshi Hirasawa told local broadcaster TV Tokyo.

"It does not require you to build up an infrastructure to recharge your batteries, which is usually the case for most electric cars."

Once the water is poured into the tank at the back of the car, the a generator breaks it down and uses it to create electrical power, TV Tokyo said.

Whether the car makes it into showrooms remains to be seen. Genepax said it had just applied for a patent and is hoping to collaborate with Japanese auto manufacturers in the future.

Most big automakers, meanwhile, are working on fuel-cell cars that run on hydrogen and emit - not consume - water.

Source http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

If it runs solely on water then they are claiming to have found a way of circumventing the 1st law of thermo dynamics. ie they have gotten out more energy than they have put in. Clearly they are using some hugely expensive platinum catalyser but then that would have put a damper on the 'put in water get out water' story.

Hello :o

A similar invention was made in the 1880s by a Scotsman named Fletcher.

Was it Mr Francois P. Cornish???

Steam driven cars were produced in the early 1920s in US.

It ain't new technology.

None of its new, I worked for a Japanese car manufacturer for years, they along with the big three have had plans up the wazoo for free fueled cars since the mid 20's, be it water, air or whatever. But its like those dam_n printers they sell for a hundred bucks, they never tell you the cartridges will cost you double that a month if you actually use it to print. Sure you can go and get the cheapy refills, void your warranty save a buck, but in the end they own all the ink companies anyway so they still get the cash. Oil companies and car manufacturers go hand in hand, nothing will be done until you and I just stop buying it anymore, thats a fact!!

It's true! I personally don't think the car manufacterers are involved in this game. BMW have since 2004 a 12 cylinder car wich could run with hydrogen. Why the thing doen't go in production? But no goverments from any country is interested in any of this projects, because how could they survive without any fuel taxes? Don't forget: More the fuels go up, more money govements gets, because they get it in procentages. I mean 50% of 2 Dollar is more than 50% of 1 Dollar. So why they should care about hydrogen or hybrid cars? If goverments not get any fueltaxes anymore what would happen?