Dogs And Chickens

peemoore

Having recently taken over a bungalow complex in Rawai we inherited two Dobberman dogs ( thai stlyle ie. bit of soi in them) The dogs Eddie and Suzie are great for security and are often seen patrolling the complex at night, giving both my wife and I and our guests a great sense of wellbeing.

Sure they bark at the nieghbours waterbuffalow and even the nieghbour himself. Unfortunatly their zest for gaurding what they percieve as their territory does not stop there. If one of our other nieghbours chickens or fighting cocks strut onto our land they are chased and some times caught. Occaisionaly the only result is a ready plucked chicken walking up the soi with little dignity in tact, Unfortunatly some times ( twice in the last three months ) the chicken is caught and killed. When this occurs the dogs are chastised. But the adage 'old dogs and new tricks' comes to mind.

The nieghbour is very upset that his chickens are disappearing. He says 10 have gone to KFC heaven over the last few years. He is now threatening that he will kill the dogs if they go near his property and says we should chain them up at night to stop their excursions. Thus newtering their excellent record as gaurd dogs and putting the security of us and our guests at risk. I am desperate to save face with the nieghbour and not escalate the problem. It is after all his chickens that are tresspassing.

Any one had a similar experiance?

Yes, I have the same problem.

Since we moved in before the neighbours, I was in a good bargaining position. Now the deal is: if our dogs are chasing the chickens on their land: they will chase them away (and I think will also hit them with whatever is available. This does hardly if ever happen. If the chickens are on our land: sorry for them, the dogs are free to play with them. Up to the neighbours to make a barrier the chickens can not get over/under.

Having recently taken over a bungalow complex in Rawai we inherited two Dobberman dogs ( thai stlyle ie. bit of soi in them) The dogs Eddie and Suzie are great for security and are often seen patrolling the complex at night, giving both my wife and I and our guests a great sense of wellbeing.

Sure they bark at the nieghbours waterbuffalow and even the nieghbour himself. Unfortunatly their zest for gaurding what they percieve as their territory does not stop there. If one of our other nieghbours chickens or fighting cocks strut onto our land they are chased and some times caught. Occaisionaly the only result is a ready plucked chicken walking up the soi with little dignity in tact, Unfortunatly some times ( twice in the last three months ) the chicken is caught and killed. When this occurs the dogs are chastised. But the adage 'old dogs and new tricks' comes to mind.

The nieghbour is very upset that his chickens are disappearing. He says 10 have gone to KFC heaven over the last few years. He is now threatening that he will kill the dogs if they go near his property and says we should chain them up at night to stop their excursions. Thus newtering their excellent record as gaurd dogs and putting the security of us and our guests at risk. I am desperate to save face with the nieghbour and not escalate the problem. It is after all his chickens that are tresspassing.

Any one had a similar experiance?

I wouldn't risk it, i'd tie them up at night as he's sure to poison them. Not sure where you'd stand either if your dogs bit someone around the complex, they should be under control really. You could always buy him a new chicken or give him the money for it every time your dogs kill one, maybe that would help matters.

as suggested get it sorted or watch the dogs die from being poisoned

Would love to get it sorted. The dogs are the most placid animals you could wish for they just see red when fog horn leg horn struts into the car park. As regards the chickens that have been killed the man next door says they are fighting cocks and worth 4000 baht each. I dont think they could fight there way out of a paper bag. If an oven ready Tesco (contentious) bird would suffice then that would solve the problem. But for 4000 baht you could buy a box of free range black legged organic with bells on back in the UK.

Sounds like you need to fence in your property. You can also ( in theory) teach the dogs not to eat anything except in a dedicated location from you or your Mrs, so that would stop the poisoning aspect.

Bit Mary Whitehose but tell me more. The property is fairly open on two sides and could not realisticly be fenced.

Play hardball with the neighbour at first; threaten to file a complaint with the police that your guests are frightened of getting bird flu from the chickens roaming on the property and so you are losing (tourist) business because of the neighbour's actions. Also ask if he has a license to have free range farm animals in a residential area. Also, getting or suggesting that you are considering getting, some cats will probably make him think a bit.

But, bear in mind that a fighting cock can be a very valuable asset to a Thai, so if you can find a compromise (ie go 50/50 with him on building a fence or something) that will be a better option. Watching a dog die from strychnine poisoning is a horrible, horrible thing to experience.