Hong Kong On The Cheap

girlx

i would like to go next month to hong kong to check it out as a potential place to set up an office in. can anyone recommend the best way to do this trip cheaply? airlines (from BKK), hotel recommendations (though i may have a free place to stay), etc.? thanks in advance

i would like to go next month to hong kong to check it out as a potential place to set up an office in. can anyone recommend the best way to do this trip cheaply? airlines (from BKK), hotel recommendations (though i may have a free place to stay), etc.? thanks in advance

Fly Air Asia to Macau and take the ferry over to Hong Kong (save 6,000 baht up) cheap place to stay, Chung King Mansions on Nathan road (be warned that this place is a 18th story building filled with many cheap guest houses) maybe 100 HK (500 baht) a night up for a room there !!

Head down to Mes Amis (pub/club) in Wanchai and ask for the manager, tell him you know a Scot from Nakhon Sri Thammarat!! he should take care of you..

Edited by Tatler

Best to fly direct from Bangkok to Hong Kong. Hong Kong Express or Dragon Air are both competitive in terms of airfares (around 7000 baht + tax) and it saves the hassle of flying Air Asia to Macau and then taking the ferry. Stay in Kowloon where accommodation is cheaper, rather than on Hong Kong Island. 3.5 star hotels start at about 2500 baht/night depending on promotions. There are also cheap guesthouses however many are dirty and undesirable. If two of you are flying, you can get a good package including airfare/accommodation from your travel agent in Bangkok. If you need any more info, just let me know.

Edited by youngkiwi

BP International hotel is nice and pretty cheap.

Hotel site

Sorry my friend, have to disagree the BPI offer very very small rooms and the latest quotes for a shoebox are well over 4,000 Baht. There is no such thing as a cheap hotel in HK, the prices are ridiculous, as for places such as Chungking Mansions I would suggest desperation would be the situation if you stayed in such a death trap.

My hotel of choice is the Regal Riverside in Shatin, yes its a little out of the action but the rooms are large and the KCR train system is a short distance away.

In fact the OP would be sensible to look at that area to open an office also

1-2 go offered great prices recently - not sure if they're still available though. I'm doing the AirAsia Macau route, which actually adds up to being reasonably expensive, and probably not worth the hassle.

Edited by Super Hans

The Salisbury YMCA Hotel is good value for Hong Kong. More of a 4* hotel than a Y and situated at the tip of the Kowloon peninsula - right next door to the Peninsula Hotel in fact. Convenient for the Star Ferry to Central - just across the road.

The Octopus travel card is also good value - cheap travel on MRT (or is it MTR?) and buses and you can add on a return to / from the airport. Buy one at the airport or at most MRT stations.

DM

• 2 weeks later...
The Octopus travel card is also good value - cheap travel on MRT (or is it MTR?) and buses and you can add on a return to / from the airport. Buy one at the airport or at most MRT stations.

DM

MTR in Hong Kong, MRT in Singapore

1-2 go offered great prices recently - not sure if they're still available though. I'm doing the AirAsia Macau route, which actually adds up to being reasonably expensive, and probably not worth the hassle.

they still ply the route with their 30+ year-old Jumbos B-747.

and they are the cheapest. though, can only be booked through agents or their call center.

as for inexpensive hotels: I dont know details about ur budget, but the IBIS NORTHPOINT is usually a great value for money. its a spotless 2-star (the usual IBIS standard), rooms very small (the usual HK standard), perfectly located just next door to a Subway-station.

if u book through the accorhotel-asia.com website directly, u can sometimes have a room for as low as 330 HK-$ plus taxes (room only, but it depends on the weekday and the season), so u end up paying around 420 HK-$.

I just checked it, right now the rate is 450 Hk-$ for early July, plus 10% Tax. totalling 495 HK-$. which is the equivalent of 40€.

sure u can get rooms even cheaper in HK, the question is if you are really eager to explore the hidden secrets of Hongkongs insect-wildlife :o

oh, and I would definitely NOT recommend to go through MACAU. its time-consuming, a hassle if you have much luggage, and the ferry ride to HK is quite expensive. in the end you wont save a penny....

DM

SUBWAY everywhere in the world :o

DM

SUBWAY everywhere in the world :D

Except for London where it's The Tube.. :o

I usually stay up Nathan Road past Austin. There are lots of smaller hotels in the multi-story buildings there. Yes, the rooms will be small but I have found them very clean and the people very friendly even though I don't speak their language. Here is a link which you can search both hotels and the smaller guest houses:http://www.hkta.org/eng/mustknow/accommodation/index.jhtml

I think you can fly to HK just as cheap going there direct as via Macau. Also you can avoid using Air Asia.