How Does Isuzu's Mu-7 Diesel Compare To Other Suvs?

Ahnsahn

Hi,

Initially, I had been leaning toward the CR-v and then to the Fortuner but now I've decided to go with Isuzu's MU-7 3.0 diesel Gold Series. Knowing a lot of things are subjective, I'm figuring that:

PROS

Engine - the MU-7's 3.0 diesel can hang with (is very compatible to [in stats/performance]) Fortuner's 3.0 diesel.

Interior - the MU-7 beats the Fortuner's plastic-like amenities, more passenger seating comfort and the DVD/audio system...!!

CONS

- no electric seats?

- exterior styling is somewhat plain .

So what are some of your pros, cons, observations and other comparisons of Isuzu's cool(?) MU-7 Gold Series to other SUVs?

The MU-7 looks and feels like a modified pick-up, not an SUV. The only thing i'd say going for it is the number of seats. If you regularly travel with more than 4 or 5 people i'd say it would be worth looking at - otherwise not - go for a proper SUV.

The CRV is a totally different proposition to either the Fortuner or MU-7; smaller, therefore more nimble, better performance, but less room and more expensive, but easily the best of the three as a package.

Both Fortuner and MU-7 are pickups converted to SUV but the Fortuner hides it better than the MU-7. Fortuner is sold in markets outside of Thailand whereas MU-7 wouldn't compete the international market.

The exclusivity of the MU-7 to the Fortuner in Thailand should be the major 'Pro' in your list and there are many good reasons for that :o

Both Fortuner and MU-7 are pickups converted to SUV but the Fortuner hides it better than the MU-7.

True, and isn't that largely down to the fact that the Fortuner has it's own wheelbase, whereas the MU-7 uses exactly the same one as the pickup from which it is derived, making it an odd, if not ugly, design.

The exclusivity of the MU-7 to the Fortuner in Thailand should be the major 'Pro' in your list and there are many good reasons for that :o

Each to his own i guess, but for me i couldn't give a tuppenth whether a car is "exclusive" or not. "Exclusive" means there aren't many about, which means people aren't buying them, which means they are either expensive or crap.

Both Fortuner and MU-7 are pickups converted to SUV but the Fortuner hides it better than the MU-7.

True, and isn't that largely down to the fact that the Fortuner has it's own wheelbase, whereas the MU-7 uses exactly the same one as the pickup from which it is derived, making it an odd, if not ugly, design.

The exclusivity of the MU-7 to the Fortuner in Thailand should be the major 'Pro' in your list and there are many good reasons for that :D

Each to his own i guess, but for me i couldn't give a tuppenth whether a car is "exclusive" or not. "Exclusive" means there aren't many about, which means people aren't buying them, which means they are either expensive or crap.

And the MU-7 is not overly expensive is it :o ?

When is the new Mitsu SUV out. Whats its gonna be called? I( might be interseted. Been lookin at the Nissan Xtrail but its far too small. Its got independant suspension allround though which is a big plus compared to the pick up style fotuner and MU7.

I am no engineer, but as far as I know the Fortuner does have independent suspension all around, whereas the Mu-7 is built on a non-modified pickup chassis.

/ Priceless

Bought a Fortuner around 2.5 years ago and it's been great; no problems, gets abused (kids/dogs/lots of off-road use), and seems as sound now as the day I took delivery.

Bought an Isuzu D-Max a couple of months ago and am generally happy with it, although it doesn't seem to pull as well as the Toyota (got the 3.0 Turbo-diesel in both and the D-Max is only 4x2), and the D-Max handling makes the Toyota feel like a comparative Mini.

I've never test-driven the Mu-7, but if it drives similarly to its pick-up sister, the Toyota wins hands-down. I do appreciate that I'm kind of comparing tangerines with satsumas though!

Brakes are better in the Isuzu though, and the headlights. But that's for another thread...

When is the new Mitsu SUV out. Whats its gonna be called? I( might be interseted. Been lookin at the Nissan Xtrail but its far too small. Its got independant suspension allround though which is a big plus compared to the pick up style fotuner and MU7.
Or make your own out of a triton and some steel, ( this was spotted on sukomvit rd pattaya yesterday, back door hinges look like they are off a barn door ) :o

post-62885-1213979177_thumb.jpg

post-62885-1213979210_thumb.jpg

Or make your own out of a triton and some steel, ( this was spotted on sukomvit rd pattaya yesterday, back door hinges look like they are off a barn door ) :o

I think the A-Team could have done a better job!

Ha ha, has someone photoshopped that or is Mitsu really out to hang themselves. Think I will wait to see what the new Fortuner is going to be like. A here from a good source that a new Vigo is coming out very soon followed a month later by the new Fortuner. Hope its got indepenant suspension all round.

Ha ha, has someone photoshopped that or is Mitsu really out to hang themselves.

Neither - didn't you read the part where he said "make your own"? This beast was cobbled together in someone's back yard. And hideous it is too!

Apart from suspension set up, I don't trust Isuzu's engines at all.

While initially they seem to run very well, after a few years their performace significantly drops, judging by how they behave on the road.

I was driving old diesel Toyota and with each new Isuzu model I was impressed by their pulling power, from Dmax turbo to current Vgtec, but, with each passing year I couldn't help but notice how easy it is becoming to catch up with them as they become older, even common rail 3l ones that are only three years old at most. They just lose it.

Hi,

Initially, I had been leaning toward the CR-v and then to the Fortuner but now I've decided to go with Isuzu's MU-7 3.0 diesel Gold Series. Knowing a lot of things are subjective, I'm figuring that:

PROS

Engine - the MU-7's 3.0 diesel can hang with (is very compatible to [in stats/performance]) Fortuner's 3.0 diesel.

Interior - the MU-7 beats the Fortuner's plastic-like amenities, more passenger seating comfort and the DVD/audio system...!!

CONS

- no electric seats?

- exterior styling is somewhat plain .

So what are some of your pros, cons, observations and other comparisons of Isuzu's cool(?) MU-7 Gold Series to other SUVs?

I have a 2 year old ISUZU LS 5 seater, automatic pick up. It has 4X4 on the fly in other words you can put it into 4 wheel drive at 100 Ks an hour. It is Turbo Charged and has a power booster switch, it rides well, is fitted out well, has great brakes, steers well and all the modern cons as they all get today and all this is standard.

Re your Honda CRV, it is a constant 4 wheel drive which makes it eat the fuel up and wear the tyres out in no time, my mate just got rid of his and bought the same as I have.

how GROSSE!

but it does underline the fact that they are ALL just modified pick-ups......

I would have thought that after a few kms the Toyota engine and power would outshine the Isuzu.

Isn't the Isuzu built by Thai-rung? is the body steel or fibre-glass?

Edited by wilko

No, Thairung does it's own version, called Adventure Discovery or something, I've seen their showroom on Rama IV, near Prakhanong.

I don't know if it's any different from MU7 mechanically, as far as I know they both just do bodywork on the same Isuzu chassies. Fortuner is a step ahead in that sense, and so will be G-wagon when it finally comes out.