Confusion On 30 Day Tourist Entries, Up To 90 Days W/i 6 Months

...Could the first 60 days be extended by 30 days at Immigration, then do the border run & get another 60 days, then extend again?

Yes, definitely. That's exactly what people living in Thailand on back-to-back tourist visas do.

--

Maestro

Scyriacus, this is a new and interesting development and it remains to be seen whether all immigration check points have abandoned the counting of days to implement the rule of maximum 90 visa-exempt days within 6 months. More information will become available if more members are brave enough to attempt additional visa-exempt entries after having used up the regulatory maximum 60 days.

Ideally, the incumbent Police Director General should officially revoke the Royal Thai Police Order No. 608/2549 issued by his predecessor but that is perhaps too much to be hoped for at the moment.

--

Maestro

More information will become available if more members are brave enough to attempt additional visa-exempt entries after having used up the regulatory maximum 60 days.

That's the problem. Who wants to be a guinea pig and attempt a 4th 30 day exempt entry?

We're very fortunate to have 2 reports in this thread of people who have actually done it.

A very promising development indeed.

...Could the first 60 days be extended by 30 days at Immigration, then do the border run & get another 60 days, then extend again?

Yes, definitely. That's exactly what people living in Thailand on back-to-back tourist visas do.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro. I thought so.

Presumably you could then do 3 x 30 day border runs before finally having to leave to obtain a new Visa?

Giving a total stay of 270 days with 4 border runs. (assuming no border runs were done a few days early).

Yes, that’s how you can work it. 3x90 visa-exempt stay, then double-entry tourist visa from Vientiane gives you, with extensions, 2x90 visa stay. Then start all over again.

If you are in the UK at the moment, you can also get a multiple-entry non-O visa to visit friends from the honorary consul in Hull or another honorary consulate. Saves you the time and expense for some border and visa runs. Do whichever works best for your based on the time you plan to spend in Thailand.

--

Maestro

If I had 2 valid UK passports, does anyone know if I would be able to alternate them so I could get 180 days in 6 months using the visa exempt thing?

cheers

:o

No, don't try it. It might have been possible one time, but now with computerised databases you will be caught for trying that.

It could be very bad news, and you will at the very least have a very skeptical and hostile Thai immigration to expalin it to.

And just a note for any Americans who have the same thought...for God's sake, don't even think about it. You will be caught by the computer, and it will raise a question of why you have two valid passports. It will probably get you noted under "criminal or terrorist possible" with today's security paranoia.

:D