Governor Apirak Removed From List Of Corruption Suspects

george

Governor Apirak removed from list of suspects

BANGKOK: -- The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) has dropped a corruption investigation into Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin over the fire-fighting equipment scandal.

AEC chairman Nam Yimyaem yesterday denied the move had anything to do with his son's promotion in the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's municipal police division.

Nam said his son has been moved to his present position before he assumed the AEC post.

He insisted there were no irregularities even though reports claim his son was moved to a position that offered better fringe benefits.

"The investigation into Apirak was dropped not because we want to pave the way for his re-election or because of my son's work," Nam said.

He said the AEC investigators were unanimous that Apirak was not involved in the irregularities because he opened a letter of credit (L/C ) for the purchase of the fire-fighting equipment after the contract materialised and the Interior Ministry pressured him to do so.

"Apirak called for a review of the contract many times, but finally had to yield to the Interior Ministry which wanted to expedite the purchase," he said.

The AEC sub-committee also unanimously ruled to dismiss charges against Somsak Khun-ngern, secretary to Interior minister, because of a lack of evidence. He said although Somsak wrote the letter to Apirak pressuring him to open the L/C, he was carrying out a secretarial task as instructed by the then interior minister, Nam said.

Former Bangkok city clerk Nathanon Thaweesin submitted a document to the AEC's sub committee probing the fire-fighting case, saying it was evidence as to why she had delayed the transfer of Nam's son Piset Yimyaem to a position he had requested.

She denied allegations she had sought a bribe from Nam for his son's transfer. She said Piset was on the list of officials facing investigation.

"Nam may not have known this or may have been misled about what happened. So I wanted to show him this evidence," she said. Nathanon said she wanted to show Nam the document but he refused to meet her and it made her feel she had not received justice. As Nathanon was speaking to reporters, Nam later invited her to a meeting.

Banjerd Singkaneti, who chairs the sub-committee investigating the purchase of the fire-fighting equipment, said Nam had to clarify the allegation about his son to the AEC after the sub-committee submitted its recommendation on the case for consideration. "There has been much political pressure from this case. Once you walk around the bonfire, it is normal you feel the heat," Banjerd said.

--The Nation 2008-06-20

Not really, they've decided on that long time ago but some wanted to put Apirak through all the motions once again, hence the delay. I'm too lazy to dig it up - who exactly wanted him indicted along with the others.

Not really, they've decided on that long time ago but some wanted to put Apirak through all the motions once again, hence the delay. I'm too lazy to dig it up - who exactly wanted him indicted along with the others.

Plus- Democrat 1

Hammered- Democrat 2

are you two guys on his card payroll ??????

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Plus- Democrat 1

Hammered- Democrat 2

are you two guys on his card payroll ??????

Please dont make assumptions. Actually I dont support any politcial party here and am not Thai. But credit where credit is due, Apirak has done a reasonably good job and the people of Bangkok seem to see this according to opinion polls, OK by the hideously low standard of Thai politicians to achieve a good rating you dont have to do much but still one has to work with one has.

By the way I also mentioned he was the most popular since Chamlong who FYI wasnt a Democrat.

Peace