Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

Am I missing something? Have you guys lived in Thailand for too long? What has happened to, or where is Democracy?

You cannot remove a Government without an election????

In a parliamentary democracy, you can pressure the government to dump its leader. Done in most parliamentary democracies from time to time. Look up how Margaret Thatcher got dumped as PM.

If the government feels pressured enough, they can always call another election. Otherwise, they can continue with their mad-capped capers of ripping up checks and balances in the consitution, designed to protect democracy.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something? Have you guys lived in Thailand for too long? What has happened to, or where is Democracy?

In a parliamentary democracy, you can pressure the government to dump its leader. Done in most parliamentary democracies from time to time. Look up how Margaret Thatcher got dumped as PM.

If the government feels pressured enough, they can always call another election. Otherwise, they can continue with their mad-capped capers of ripping up checks and balances in the consitution, designed to protect democracy.

Thatcher was removed by her own Party - the Government was not removed. That is a ridiculous example....

How many times do the Thais have to vote for whom they chose, and be denied that choice?

Thatcher was removed by her own Party - the Government was not removed. That is a ridiculous example....

How many times do the Thais have to vote for whom they chose, and be denied that choice?

Thatcher was removed by her party yes, after massive public pressure.

nor has this government been removed yet, but Samak is on his last legs.

As for the goverments existence. That is entirely up to them. How are they going to get kicked out? By a coup? I think the possibility of a coup will be overblown. Remember, the junta, which assumed power back in 2006 handed it back - as promised - a year later. And handed it right back to the people they took it away from.

If the military were never really going to give up their front of stage role, they would have annulled the elections and turned Thailand into the next burma.

The ball is now in the court of the democrats, with the no-confidence motions coming up. The PAD will apply legitimate pressure to the government to scrap the consitutional ammendements, which is their right.

Thatcher was removed by her party yes, after massive public pressure.

nor has this government been removed yet, but Samak is on his last legs.

As for the goverments existence. That is entirely up to them. How are they going to get kicked out? By a coup? I think the possibility of a coup will be overblown. Remember, the junta, which assumed power back in 2006 handed it back - as promised - a year later. And handed it right back to the people they took it away from.

If the military were never really going to give up their front of stage role, they would have annulled the elections and turned Thailand into the next burma.

The ball is now in the court of the democrats, with the no-confidence motions coming up. The PAD will apply legitimate pressure to the government to scrap the consitutional ammendements, which is their right.

Erm, the Tories won the next election, Thatcher was an electoral liability, she was democratically voted out by her own Party - there were no mass protests. In fact, for those of us who remember, she was very shocked.

The next Burma - well, how to put this, a more cleaver Burma....no offence meant to the Kingdom of Thailand at all...

how many times did it happen that a government stepped down in other countries? Thats not something unusual.

Anyhow the main point is that the government has to serve the people. The government is our staff. If a big part of the population does not agree with them, they should resign on themself.

The question is how many people don't agree with the government? The maybe 100.000 people are impressive, but not that amount that reflect a big part of the population.

Of course if someone can proof that the government lies, than this would be a reason to resign.....but that does not happen anywhere worldwide.

Erm, the Tories won the next election, Thatcher was an electoral liability, she was democratically voted out by her own Party - there were no mass protests. In fact, for those of us who remember, she was very shocked.

um...poll tax.

100,000 people in trafalgar square protesting....

next!

Have we ever thought that perhaps Thailand is not 'ready' for a democratic government? A democratic government is based on the assumption that the people have evolved enough to allow disagreements to end after the final ballot is counted and they join together to make things work. Unfortunately, this did not happen and things got worse. Not to say that Thailand alone has this problem. The United States is a prime example where, under democratic rule, its hopelessly deadlocked in politics and fiscal mismangement. Add to that the fact that many want to rig the elections and we have chaos like we see in so many situations.

The reallity is, maybe democracy is not a one shoe fits all type of government...as we westerners have sold it to be. There are many countries that do just fine/have done just fine without democracy.

Are you kidding me!!!! What you are really saying, is that the majority of people disagree with me, so I think that is because they are not mature enough to have a democracy . So we need to put just one person that agrees with my point of view in control. Democracy is a one shoe fits kind of government, it reflects the will of the people, the will of the majority. Where it gets messy is when a minority tries to force their opinion onto a majority. That is why nothing has been solved, actually it has been solved, it is just there is a few people that are not willing to except that what the people want is concrete. There is to many people living outside of Bangkok that support this government for it to fall. Even if they are stealing everything they can get their hands on and the most corupt government ever. Democracy is working, they are a reflection of the people outside of the Bangkok, the majority of Thailand.

Go back to your dictators anonymous meetings and leave the rest of the peaceful world alone!

Have we ever thought that perhaps Thailand is not 'ready' for a democratic government? A democratic government is based on the assumption that the people have evolved enough to allow disagreements to end after the final ballot is counted and they join together to make things work. Unfortunately, this did not happen and things got worse. Not to say that Thailand alone has this problem. The United States is a prime example where, under democratic rule, its hopelessly deadlocked in politics and fiscal mismangement. Add to that the fact that many want to rig the elections and we have chaos like we see in so many situations.

The reallity is, maybe democracy is not a one shoe fits all type of government...as we westerners have sold it to be. There are many countries that do just fine/have done just fine without democracy.

Are you kidding me!!!! What you are really saying, is that the majority of people disagree with me, so I think that is because they are not mature enough to have a democracy . So we need to put just one person that agrees with my point of view in control. Democracy is a one shoe fits kind of government, it reflects the will of the people, the will of the majority. Where it gets messy is when a minority tries to force their opinion onto a majority. That is why nothing has been solved, actually it has been solved, it is just there is a few people that are not willing to except that what the people want is concrete. There is to many people living outside of Bangkok that support this government for it to fall. Even if they are stealing everything they can get their hands on and the most corupt government ever. Democracy is working, they are a reflection of the people outside of the Bangkok, the majority of Thailand.

Go back to your dictators anonymous meetings and leave the rest of the peaceful world alone!

I hear democracy is working really well for Iraq.

um...poll tax.

next!

You pompous sod! 'Next'....

The point is that in a Democracy the ballot box is used to change a Government. There were poll tax protests (they did not bring down a government, the Tories won the next election my friend; but it took an election, the people voting, do you get that last bit?) as there were anti Iraq protests, but these do not change governments, they are part of the Democratic process...

As another poster said, 100,000 protesting, but does that represent the voice of Thailand (as in the case in the UK, 100,000 anti-poll tax, but the Tories won!)

um...poll tax.

next!

You pompous sod! 'Next'....

The point is that in a Democracy the ballot box is used to change a Government. There were poll tax protests (they did not bring down a government, the Tories won the next election my friend; but it took an election, the people voting, do you get that last bit?) as there were anti Iraq protests, but these do not change governments, they are part of the Democratic process...

As another poster said, 100,000 protesting, but does that represent the voice of Thailand (as in the case in the UK, 100,000 anti-poll tax, but the Tories won!)

Pomous sod. Thanks for the complement. Please feel free to add know-all git. Hey, but at least I don't forget small things like the poll tax protests.

I'd like to know what your definition of a mass protest is though. Maybe 100,000 people is just a small gathering of friends in your book?

As for the situation her in Thailand....what is not to get? The PPP were elected. No one is disputing that. Nor are disputing the fact they would probably win another election if it were held tomorrow.

a group of people, under the banner of the PAD, are demonstrating against the governments attempts to undermine checks and balances in this country. Lets be clear about what checks and balances do. They preserve democracy.

Sure, they want them out. Are they going to get them out? As I said, I don't think so.

Will they get rid of a useless PM, who is an electoral liablity, even to the people who voted for PPP? Probably

Will they stop the attempts by the government to destroy democracy in Thailand? Probably.

Will they be able to teach the bunch of incompetents who are in positions of power to run the country properly. Probably not.

um...poll tax.

next!

Just watching the film of the protestors, these PAD look very middle-class, did they book a days leave to attend? Not many ‘everyday Thais’, they were maybe working...

um...poll tax.

next!

Just watching the film of the protestors, these PAD look very middle-class, did they book a days leave to attend? Not many ‘everyday Thais’, they were maybe working...

great, so the legitimacy of a protestor comes down to their 'street cred' in your book. I'd like to hear your definition of an 'everyday Thai'. Simply cannot wait.

I'm sure Thaksin, plotting all this from his villa in Wimbeldon, is a clear example of an every day Thai. Yeah, he really slums it with the peasants doesn't he?

The mad monk and PAD leader Chamlong - well at least he knows a thing or do about how 'everyday thai's' live, given his background.

As for this crowd, one thing you can be sure they are not is a rent-a-crowd, there only because they are being paid 100 baht a day for a cause they know nothing about.

:o Well, in some ways I hate to see political problems....but I won't lie, I'm hoping for some good disruption or a political mess. I'm hoping the Baht will drop against the Dollar....maybe get back to 35 baht to a dollar anyhow. A little disruption would be just the thing for that.

I've been in Thailand during 3 coups and a couple other political changes, including riots. It doesn't seem to affect the real Thai people...they get scr##ed all the time anyway, no matter what party is in power.

It doesn't really seem to matter whatever group of crooks is in power, anyhow.

:D

um...poll tax.

next!

great, so the legitimacy of a protestor comes down to their 'street cred' in your book. I'd like to hear your definition of an 'everyday Thai'. Simply cannot wait.

I'm sure Thaksin, plotting all this from his villa in Wimbeldon, is a clear example of an every day Thai. Yeah, he really slums it with the peasants doesn't he?

The mad monk and PAD leader Chamlong - well at least he knows a thing or do about how 'everyday thai's' live, given his background.

As for this crowd, one thing you can be sure they are not is a rent-a-crowd, there only because they are being paid 100 baht a day for a cause they know nothing about.

Ha, ha, well, my definition would be the local motorbike taxi guys, who ask me what English team I support. After saying 'Chelsea' they say no, 'Man City - Taxsin'.

The people would be my definition, not a Bangkok elite.

Just a theory here, but isn't what you are saying propaganda? All this, 'the people are stupid' (not that you have explicitly said that), that the people are paid to vote the way they do, because they know no better. This is so un-democratic. Like this idea that Asia is not ready for Democracy, it simply supports an un-democratic regime.. I find it slightly sinister...

1medgo4.jpg

both sides, up in protection gear mode (Copyright: TPS-Thailand)

The ugly side of a demonstration came out so far only visual. Thanks Buddha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128380

PM orders police not to use force against protests

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will not use force against supporters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) who gathered in front of the Government House to demand the ouster of the premier and cabinet ministers, deputy government spokesman Nattawut Saikua said Friday afternoon.

He also said that Mr Samak vowed to continue to administer the country, and will protect the sovereignty of the people.

Mr Samak himself escaped an army of reporters who were waiting to interview him at the Army Club, where he called an urgent meeting with chiefs of armed forces and national police chief. He reportedly switched to a new car to avoid being followed by reporters.

First Army Commander Prayuth Chan-ocha said after the meeting that it was aimed at informing the premier about the rallies, and that Mr Samak did not give any special orders.

"Nothing much," :o he said. "We just reported him about current situation."

UNQuote

:D Nothing much, with the biggest demonstration crowed of approx. 70'000, since years!? Was there even a crowed like this size in 2006? Can't remember.

Edited by nomoretalksin

I've been in Thailand during 3 coups and a couple other political changes, including riots. It doesn't seem to affect the real Thai people...they get scr##ed all the time anyway, no matter what party is in power.

Dollar/baht predictions aside, this is the most accurate and succinct assessment so far.

We could almost close the thread and all go to bed now.

Ha, ha, well, my definition would be the local motorbike taxi guys, who ask me what English team I support. After saying 'Chelsea' they say no, 'Man City - Taxsin'.

Just a theory here, but isn't what you are saying propaganda? All this, 'the people are stupid' (not that you have explicitly said that), that the people are paid to vote the way they do, because they know no better. This is so un-democratic. Like this idea that Asia is not ready for Democracy, it simply supports an un-democratic regime.. I find it slightly sinister...

I take it you have worked with TRT/PPP supporters and those connected to them then?

These guys don't beleive in democracy any more than the burmese junta do. They have the support of the poor, but in reality they treat them with contempt. If there actions over the past 5 years hasn't convinced you of their inability to tolerate dissent, I'll relate a conversation I had with someone who regularly dines with the Shinawatra family and is close to the kids.

Me: If Thaksin was so close to the people why didn't he try abolish the rule that you need a need a degree to run for parliament?

TRT'ite: But poor people aren't ready to be in positions of power

or this conversation

TRT'ite: Ethanol is the way of the future. Thailand should be producing more of it.

Me: But that would raise food prices even more, and divert agricultural land away from food production.

TRT'ite: Oh, without doubt, some people will starve.

or this conversation

Me: No doubt that the agreement on Phra Viharn was so Thaksin would be a front runner for oil and casino concessions in Cambodia. That is misuse of government power for personal gain.

TRT'ite: I don't see the probem in that. Thaksin is a good man.

Grrr...another idiot. "The people will be my definition...not the Bangkok elite" - said with such arrogance. What people? How many people do you know? Do these people actually understand the rudiments of Thai politics? If they do not then they are not equipped (nothing to do with wealth or status, but 100% to do with education - which the government, interestingly, is not interested in promoting) to make decisions that rule a nation. I am not saying that the PAD know better, or that any elite groups do, I am as confused as the next person and have no solution to offer. What I am saying is that this country can not have a real democracy until the people understand that democracy is about. This is a country of patronage. No, I am not being lese majese-ish, I am talking of city, town, village patronage. There are always pu yai. To stay pu yai you have to have pu noi. To have pu noi, you don't educate them.

It is simple. We are being kept ignorant by a government which thrives on our ignorance.

I take it you have worked with TRT/PPP supporters and those connected to them then?

These guys don't beleive in democracy any more than the burmese junta do. They have the support of the poor, but in reality they treat them with contempt. If there actions over the past 5 years hasn't convinced you of their inability to tolerate dissent, I'll relate a conversation I had with someone who regularly dines with the Shinawatra family and is close to the kids.

Me: If Thaksin was so close to the people why didn't he try abolish the rule that you need a need a degree to run for parliament?

TRT'ite: But poor people aren't ready to be in positions of power

or this conversation

TRT'ite: Ethanol is the way of the future. Thailand should be producing more of it.

Me: But that would raise food prices even more, and divert agricultural land away from food production.

TRT'ite: Oh, without doubt, some people will starve.

or this conversation

Me: No doubt that the agreement on Phra Viharn was so Thaksin would be a front runner for oil and casino concessions in Cambodia. That is misuse of government power for personal gain.

TRT'ite: I don't see the probem in that. Thaksin is a good man.

I'm not convinced - but I like you arguments. I enjoyed the banter anyway. Take care...

I'm not convinced - but I like you arguments. I enjoyed the banter anyway. Take care...

Just telling it like it is. After having to put up with these guys at various times over the past 5 years, you'd want to thump them all too.

Anyway, you are right. Bed time...

Dollar/baht predictions aside, this is the most accurate and succinct assessment so far.

We could almost close the thread and all go to bed now.

that said, and with the knowledge that we've all been here before (public protest, coup ousts vile politician, subsequent vile politician takes over) ("here comes the new boss, same as the old boss," sang the who) and therefore that the whole event is pissing into the wind....

what a glorious, defiant piss into the wind it is.

hats off to all thai citizens who care enough about their country to peacefully confront any number of heavily-armoured police.

post-16522-1213983391.jpg

It was reported on the PAD stage earlier that Coward the Great has left Thailand earlier today along with his entire family. They smell something burning I guess. Off to hide in London and play footie manager while pissing off a different bunch. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

I listened to the ASTV stream earlier when the PAD leader was talking and he said something about 'Pee Nong, this is Friday and within 48 hours we will .......'

and then my transmission cut...

anyone know what he said please? Like what's the next step for the protesters?

SAMAK AT BAY

PAD overcomes police and won't move 'until PM Samak and government resign';

State of emergency may be declared soon

BANGKOK: -- All eyes are on how PM Samak Sundaravej responds to the People's Alliance for Democracy's successful siege of Government House yesterday.

Samak has not been seen since he met urgently with Army commander-in-chief General Anupong Paojinda, regional commander Lt-General Prayuth Chanorcha and national police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan at the Army Club about 3pm.

Samak is believed to have signed a state-of-emergency order that's yet to be declared.

A source in the People Power Party (PPP) said Thaksin had pressured Samak to quit because he was the "problem" of the ongoing protest. PPP ministers Somchai Wongsawat and Surapong Suebwonglee were the favourite candidates to succeed Samak.

A military source said the Army would leave Samak to decide on what he should do best in the situation.

Later in the evening, Samak suffered another severe political blow when Parliament formally accepted the opposition's censure motion, practically preventing him from seeking a "graceful" way-out through a House dissolution.

Democrats condemn

The Democrat's censure motion, which was submitted to Parliamentary authorities earlier this week, was formally put on the House of Representatives' agenda, ending all doubts about the validity of the motion.

Police estimate 25,000 PAD protesters are at Government House, calling for Samak and his government to resign.

Samak refused to speak with reporters all yesterday. He was expected to address the nation about the crisis on television last night. That was cancelled.

The PAD succeeded in surrounding the House, with little resistance from the police and its security

Chamlong Srimuang, a PAD core leader, vows to remain outside until Samak quits. He says Samak is a "nominee" of ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Police and House security made little effort to stop protestors from surrounding the compound.

They warned that tear-gas and rubber bullets could be used to disperse crowds. In they end, they did nothing.

The PAD quickly set up a new stage from which to launch its rally. It has moved from Makkhawan Bridge, where it had been camped since May 25.

The group is now speaking from stages at the Nang Lueng Intersection and Chamai Mayurachet Bridge.

Leader goes missing

Samak was away from his office most of yesterday and not present when the protesters broke past police barriers.

The PM arrived at the Foreign Ministry at about 9am to chair a meeting of state agencies organising the next Asean summit.

Meanwhile, the ruling People Power Party "war room" accuses the PAD of trying to incite bloodshed, with an ultimate goal of encouraging a military coup.

Jatuporn Phromphan, the party's deputy spokesman, says alliance leaders moved the rally in a bid to force the government to employ force.

PAD leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong says it will "stay here until we win".

"Perhaps [samak] will resign tomorrow," says Porntip Saksrisanong, a 50-year-old food-seller from Bangkok. "I'm not worried about a violent crackdown, because this is an elected government."

--The Nation 2008-06-21

MOVE ON GOVERNMENT HOUSE

Violence averted as PAD leaders claim easy victory

Pressure mounts for Samak to resign

BANGKOK: -- As several tens of thousands of supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy savour an easy victory with their success in surrounding Government House, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is under pressure to resign.

Political sources said Thaksin Shinawatra and the core leaders of the People Power Party have agreed that Samak should step down to pave the way for Education Minister Somchai Wongswat, a brother-in-law of Thaksin, to succeed him.

Samak held a tense, hour-long meeting in the afternoon with Army chief General Anupong Paochinda, police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan and Lt-General Prayuth Chan-ocha, commander of the First Army Region, at the Army Sports Club on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Sources said Samak was very annoyed with the police, who failed to prevent the PAD from surrounding the heart of his administration.

Samak and top military and police officials discussed the scope of the Emergency Decree and the Internal Security Act, but in the end Anupong and Prayuth signalled that Samak should make his own decision.

Chamlong Srimuang, one of the core leaders of the PAD, vowed to encamp the protesters in front of Government House until Samak resigned "because he is acting as a nominee for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra".

Police and security officials made little effort to block the protesters from surrounding the seat of government, despite warning earlier that they might use tear gas and plastic bullets.

The PAD quickly set up a new stage in front of Government House to hold their rallies, moving from Makhawan Rangsan Bridge. The PAD has been staging street demonstrations since May 25.

The police chief instructed his officers and security forces not to use force against the protesters. They will stop encroachment on Government House, but PAD leaders have said they will only camp around it.

Police estimated the crowd numbers at more than 22,000 but PAD supporters said they could be as many as 100,000. The PAD held a rally against Thaksin in front of Government House in 2006, which eventually led to the military coup.

Political sources indicate there will be a political solution to end the turmoil in the next few days, but it is not yet certain a formula satisfactory to all parties can be found.

Thai shares yesterday rallied 3.56 per cent, the largest single-day surge in five months, as hedge funds unwound positions on hopes that there would be no violence at the anti-government protest.

Jatuporn Prompan, an MP from the People Power Party, said he was afraid bloodshed was inevitable. "The PAD has no choice. They want to create chaos so that the military could come out to stage another coup."

Inside the People Power Party, Thaksin is reported to have signalled to Yongyuth Tiyapairat, deputy leader Newin Chidchob, Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan and Sora-at Klinprathum that they should monitor the situation closely in case Samak decides to step down under political pressure.

-- The Nation 2008-06-21

Today has been a victory for the people and democracy so far. The people used their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully and that right was upheld by the police (kudos to BIB), without resort to violence or calling in the military. This is a big step forward on the way things have been handled in the past and it looks like some of the lessons of May 1992 might have been internalised.

What happens now, depends on many factors, but at least there has been a lowering of tensions from 24 hours ago.

Fingers crossed some sensible solutions can be found and Thaksin will be bought to book for his crimes, as a top priority. :o

Great, finally something I can agree to completely. I watch my Thai friends time and time again driving up to Bangkok to be part of the demonstrations. They say the time is right to install real democracy and it will happen now finally. They are so confident and non violent, they don't want another coup and more chaos. Just finally a real democracy, they've had enough of vote bying and old systems. They will stay their ground and their numbers will grow.......

Chavalit makes call for interim govt

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh yesterday proposed setting up an interim national government as a way to end the current political deadlock and avoid violence.

He said other available options such as dissolution of Parliament for a snap election or the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej would not solve the conflict.

"To solve the problem, an interim national government must be formed. This will provide a way out for the country," he said.

Chavalit said the proposed interim government should consist of representatives from diverse groups in the population.

In 1997, Chavalit stepped down as prime minister following the economic and financial crisis, thus allowing the opposition Democrat Party to form a new government.

Chavalit warned that the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) might trigger an uprising unless the government issued a clear signal about mending fences with opponents.

If the situation deteriorated and became violent, the military would have to step in to restore normalcy, he warned.

Democrat Party secretary-general Theptai Senpong expressed support for Chavalit's idea, saying it reflected his sincerity towards the country. However, the idea was rejected as "premature" by Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama and Kanchana Silapa-archa, deputy leader of the coalition Chart Thai Party.

"It's not time now. We should wait and see how the protest by the People's Alliance for Democracy will turn. The government and police are confident the situation can be kept under control," Kanchana said. "After the prime minister resigns, who will replace him? General Chavalit?"

Noppadon, an executive of the ruling People Power Party, said: "The government won the support of voters, so it has the legitimacy to be in office. The political problem is caused by groups of people who do not respect the rules. They do not accept people who have been elected by voters."

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

Today has been a victory for the people and democracy so far. The people used their democratic right to demonstrate peacefully and that right was upheld by the police (kudos to BIB), without resort to violence or calling in the military. This is a big step forward on the way things have been handled in the past and it looks like some of the lessons of May 1992 might have been internalised.

What happens now, depends on many factors, but at least there has been a lowering of tensions from 24 hours ago.

Fingers crossed some sensible solutions can be found and Thaksin will be bought to book for his crimes, as a top priority. :o

Great, finally something I can agree to completely. I watch my Thai friends time and time again driving up to Bangkok to be part of the demonstrations. They say the time is right to install real democracy and it will happen now finally. They are so confident and non violent, they don't want another coup and more chaos. Just finally a real democracy, they've had enough of vote bying and old systems. They will stay their ground and their numbers will grow.......

That's encouraging to hear that they will "stay their ground". Too often promises are made by the powers that be to protestors, they go home and those promises are not delivered. The marathon protestors amongst the Assembly of the Poor know this lesson only too well and that's why they were prepared to stick out camping at Pak Mun or in front of govt house for sometimes weeks or months on end. What good after all is Samak resigning and then being replaced by Toxin's brother-in-law? I really do hope those brave folk down there do have the hearts and minds to stick it out to achieve real change in Thailand, and not be tricked into giving up too soon. Chamlong's the man for peaceful, patient protest, so hope other's will be inspired by his example. :D