Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

For those who don't know yet, you can get more or less "English live commentary coverage now on TOC"

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

This station belongs to one of the PAD Leaders: K. Sondhi.

Coverage is quite neutral, and also discusses the pro's and contras.

ASTV meanhwile, the Thai Station normaly covering live, is currently blocked (guess by goverment).

I was able to reach the above link about 30 minutes ago, but it's gone for me now. I'm getting a '404' error. Guess "they" have shut down that site now.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a very strange situation. Who is responsible? The entire Thai political system. I wonder whether there is any way out!

It might be that the Thai society is not yet mature enough for a real democracy. I do not intend to offend Thai people in saying this, but the way the country is going now doesn't do good for anyone....

i agree with you on this one....

Well it seems that we have got through the surround of government house without violence and lets hope it stays that way.

After this it is time for talk. There has to be an agreement on a way out of the impasse that isnt about personal agendas.

Another election - and what will the result of that be

Maybe the Democrats win - will that allow the people off the north and north east to demand their resignation because they do not like them even if they are in the minority or is it just Bangkok that counts in protests?

Then again who could afford to fight election after election - it might end up like American politics ;-)

Persoanlly I have thought since before the coup a national unity government for a set period may be the best way. However, it doesnt seem many in Thailand with power even mention this idea.

For those who don't know yet, you can get more or less "English live commentary coverage now on TOC"

ASTV meanhwile, the Thai Station normaly covering live, is currently blocked (guess by goverment).

I was able to reach the above link about 30 minutes ago, but it's gone for me now. I'm getting a '404' error. Guess "they" have shut down that site now.

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.

If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.

Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

Nope.. Watching it and streaming quite well here... Maxnet Premier.

"Persoanlly I have thought since before the coup a national unity government for a set period may be the best way. However, it doesnt seem many in Thailand with power even mention this idea."

Maybe but who decides who leads - its a bit like Prem trying to be the unifying guy after the coup

I just think the two sides are too far apart.

History shows when demonstrations of this kind build up as they seem to be inevitably there will be trouble. Despite the PAD saying it will be a peaceful march there will be those that want to cause trouble and once it starts the ending is always the same as the police have no choice but to do something. I hope it doesnt happen but that would contradict everything that has happened before.

Romania, If I remember right, they went into Parliament behead the Dictator and got democracy......

They did not behead the dictator in Romania - he and his wife were shot

Like it or not PPP won a democratic election - we can see that you would like violence to get your own way - that big a man in real life are we and are you prepared to behead the dictator yourself or are you a coward to sit on the sidelines egging others on?

Foreigners like you wanting to destroy democracy in Thailand if found out should be deported and all properties in the country confiscated and given to the crown!

If PAD want to remove the government maybe they should do it at the ballot box like civil members of a democratic society.

I may not like or agree with Samak et al but I would not condone viloence or a coup like small minded men

and again, they were not democratic elected.......

and again...Hitler was also democratic elected......

but that is discussed more then enough.

Please explain how they were not elected properly then formed a coalition government?

You really are clutching as very shakey intellectual straws with puny arguments

Forget all that though - show your cojones and get doen there man and fight for what you belive in -are you a man or a mouse?

Do something for once in your life - get out there

Guess not!

Not again...vote buyin, election commission influenced etc etc....

As the PPP didn't win that much, a small change would have brought a complete different government.

But there is already 2 miles of postings about that, don't want to start that again.

The vote buying is well known, everyone knows it....and no the others are not the same.....

4.12 buddy internet: Working

"The vote buying is well known, everyone knows it....and no the others are not the same..."

Bwhaaaaaaaaaa

The others are not the same?

You are kidding me on - you just came up the Chao Phrya in banana boat?

where are the complains about the Democrates bought votes?

In the south, in the north, in Isaan????

Where?

PM calls urgent meeting with chiefs of armed forces

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej called an urgent meeting with National Police chief and chiefs of armed forces on Friday afternoon at the army club as supporters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) reached the Government House.

It is expected that the influential figures were there to discuss the PAD rallies and assess the situation.

Army chief Anupong Paochinda earlier said the army would keep its distance and that political problems should be resolved through political means.

The protesters demand that Mr Samak and the cabinet members step down from office.

--TNA 2008-06-20

From the forum rules:

Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

All member, please observe the above forum rule strictly. Several posts in violation of this rule have been deleted.

--

Maestro

"The vote buying is well known, everyone knows it....and no the others are not the same..."

Bwhaaaaaaaaaa

The others are not the same?

You are kidding me on - you just came up the Chao Phrya in banana boat?

That's an old agrument we read over and over, by mostly superficial political observers.

The whole (80-90%) upcountry with their village bosses, are paid by PPP=TRT. It's a network of corruption by mainly one men and group of people.

I think you better read all threads here on Thaivisa, and read more newspapers. The Democrats have not one case of election fraud on record,

in the last view years. If I'm wrong show me the link please, instead of writting such superficial comments. Maybe you can find one, but not more

and then compare with the other-side. Just read the newspaper from yesterday.

Sorry that's an old story, prior 2000. The Democrats have changed for the good, since various years. Bring links to prove otherwise, not

just cheap talk.

PAD organises 2 stages outside Government House

The People's Alliance for Democracy are organising two stages from areas in front of Government House after it managed to seize control of the areas form Nang Loeng Intersection to in front of Government House at 4 pm.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

PAD seems determined to cause confrontation and bloodshed in the hope of enticing another coup to overthrow the democratically elected government.

To put things in true perspective here, we are looking at a very tiny fraction of the countries voters acting as a street protesting pressure group trying to oust the peoples choice of government. The PAD protesters represent less than 0. 03% of the countries voters at best. And that is being generous.

By showing restraint, the government is luring PAD organizers out into the open to reveal their true motive of inciting violence in the hope of triggering another coup.

PM rumoured to meet Army chief

BANGKOK: -- Army chief General Anupong Paochinda on Friday left his office at about 4 pm for an undisclosed destination. Sources said he was summoned to meet Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej at the Army Officers Club, Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Samake reportedly held the meeting with Anupong and First Army commander Lt General Prayuth Chan-ocha to assess the situation on the besieging of Government House.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

PAD seems determined to cause confrontation and bloodshed in the hope of enticing another coup to overthrow the democratically elected government.

To put things in true perspective here, we are looking at a very tiny fraction of the countries voters acting as a street protesting pressure group trying to oust the peoples choice of government. The PAD protesters represent less than 0. 03% of the countries voters at best. And that is being generous.

By showing restraint, the government is luring PAD organizers out into the open to reveal their true motive of inciting violence in the hope of triggering another coup.

A spectacular misinterpretation of the situation.

This is people power in progress. No coup required. The PAD have been absolutely peaceful to date, despite repeated threats that they will be broken up by force and the people attending this protest are extremely brave people, given the govt's past record on using violence against peaceful demonstrators.

Any "restraint" shown by the govt. has been a result of poor leadership and indecision about how to solve the problems of the country, which includes failure to implement parliamentry democratic processes and proceedures since they bought their way into office six months ago. Ai Mak and Ai Lerm are showing their true colours by leading from the back and failing to inspire confidence in anyone, even their puppetmaster in exile. :o

and again.....where is a democratic elected government?? It is so boring every time again the same old argument......

for explanation why it is not a democratic elected government just read the previous postings. Instead of answering read the following postings :o

It is pretty sad that a group of a few thousand undemocratic people (no election result that goes against them will ever be accepted) can hold a country hostage. They block roads, prevent people from reaching their work, they have been able to block the UN gates so help for Burma could not go out and today we have the march of the short fuses.

Even worse is that their leaders publicly stated that they prefer dictatorship above a democratically elected government. These are sick people, and the government should come down on them in full force. Everybody has the right to demonstrate, but Chamlong is a extortionist who is given to much freedom. First they let him paralize traffic and business near MKB center for months now they do not dare to exterminate him again. This probably due to the fact that he is backed by prem and friends. Luckily for us they are all old people, which will no longer be able to push their own agenda which held Thailand backwards for so long. I am neither a Abbhisit nor a Thaksin supporter, but any country from which the happy few are in the habbit not to accept a governement which has a 2/3 majority is in dire straits.

Investors will run for cover and they will end up next door in Cambodia or Malaysia and rightly so.

Yes you have made some very good points. I do feel the economic impact of all this will just continue to put Thailand more behind its neighbors. I would like to know what PAD policies or plans are for running this country??? None of course!!! I guess they just want their brothers and friends in the Military to come back with another Coup and make Thailand a Military Junta again like Burma. Go Pad!! It's strange that PAD are only quiet when a Junta is in control!.... It really says something about their ideas deep down. They have no plan for Thailand's future just to get rid of a democratically elected government.

I feel sorry for democracy in Thailand and it's sad that a small minority can damage a country like this. I hope people will realize what is really happening with the people behind the scenes of these demonstrations before they dig a bigger hole for themselves.

You get demonstrations against governments in democracies all over the world and they are always in 0.0whatevers of the whole population. As Chavalit (usually quite close to Thaksin) today mentioned it is democracy in action. We should actually applaud demonstartions as people taking their role in civil society seriously. Many constituttions wotrld wide enshrine the right of freedom to ptrotest and some see it as another form of check or balance on government. Time will tell what the motives of people are.

It is pretty sad that a group of a few thousand undemocratic people (no election result that goes against them will ever be accepted) can hold a country hostage. They block roads, prevent people from reaching their work, they have been able to block the UN gates so help for Burma could not go out and today we have the march of the short fuses.

Even worse is that their leaders publicly stated that they prefer dictatorship above a democratically elected government. These are sick people, and the government should come down on them in full force. Everybody has the right to demonstrate, but Chamlong is a extortionist who is given to much freedom. First they let him paralize traffic and business near MKB center for months now they do not dare to exterminate him again. This probably due to the fact that he is backed by prem and friends. Luckily for us they are all old people, which will no longer be able to push their own agenda which held Thailand backwards for so long. I am neither a Abbhisit nor a Thaksin supporter, but any country from which the happy few are in the habbit not to accept a governement which has a 2/3 majority is in dire straits.

Investors will run for cover and they will end up next door in Cambodia or Malaysia and rightly so.

Yes you have made some very good points. I do feel the economic impact of all this will just continue to put Thailand more behind its neighbors. I would like to know what PAD policies or plans are for running this country??? None of course!!! I guess they just want their brothers and friends in the Military to come back with another Coup and make Thailand a Military Junta again like Burma. Go Pad!! It's strange that PAD are only quiet when a Junta is in control!.... It really says something about their ideas deep down. They have no plan for Thailand's future just to get rid of a democratically elected government.

I feel sorry for democracy in Thailand and it's sad that a small minority can damage a country like this. I hope people will realize what is really happening with the people behind the scenes of these demonstrations before they dig a bigger hole for themselves.

We have just had a parliamentary session where not a single bill was deliberated, not a single committee was set up. It may be better to ask the government and their parlaimentary majority what their policies or plans for the economy are as it is their job to run the country, and right now they dont seem to be doing that. The PAD are a pressure group on several non-economic issues and it is not their job to run the country.

The fact that Thailand has drifted with little governance since 2005 and with virtually none right now will of course position the country in a bad place relative to others in the time of economic crisis. However, it si the role of an elected government to deal with this whether it faces demonstrations or not.

It was a democratic election, at least it is considered as democratic by international observers.

We all know well enough, that looking into details there was huge vote buying going on (as always in Thailand's political history).

It is not tolerable that some 10,000 protesters try to overthrow a government. Although I disagree with this government this is not the right way to change the political situation (although I very well understand the thoughts of the PAD).

Thailand is now squeezed between the "democratic" election result, the never ending influence of former TRT leaders, the intellectual approach of middle class Bangkok people and the continuing troubles in the South.

I think another election or whatever will not help in this case. For a certain time only some kind of Thai Unity Government, composed with members from each party would have a chance to overcome this situation.

It makes absolutely no sense to discuss whether the previous election was democratic or not. The progress of the country, the wealth and future development of Thailand is at stake and this should be reason enough to stop the shouting and unify in the country's interest.

However I have my doubts, that the current leaders of whatever party are capable to do so. The things which are going on right look like a suicide of a country, which offers great opportunities and just wasting it's chances. Sad.

Edited by moo9

and again.....where is a democratic elected government?? It is so boring every time again the same old argument......

for explanation why it is not a democratic elected government just read the previous postings. Instead of answering read the following postings :o

Okay Mr Wise PAD. I would like you to tell us how to get a democratically elected government in Thailand? You seems that you are so wise about all the PAD anti-government issues. So why dont you tell us how to stop vote buying \ curruption in Thailand and get fair result. In that I mean a NON Taksin party into government? Hmm I have a idea why dont we only allow Bangkok people to vote in a general election that has to be fair right? We have a democratically elected government then right? Go and join your Union friends and we want a military dictatorship at the PAD rally at government house.

It was a democratic election, at least it is considered as democratic by international observers.

We all know well enough, that looking into details there was huge vote buying going on (as always in Thailand's political history).

It is not tolerable that some 10,000 protesters try to overthrow a government. Although I disagree with this government this is not the right way to change the political situation (although I very well understand the thoughts of the PAD).

Thailand is now squeezed between the "democratic" election result, the never ending influence of former TRT leaders, the intellectual approach of middle class Bangkok people and the continuing troubles in the South.

I think another election or whatever will not help in this case. For a certain time only some kind of Thai Unity Government, composed with members from each party would have a chance to overcome this situation.

It makes absolutely no sense to discuss whether the previous election was democratic or not. The progress of the country, the wealth and future development of Thailand is at stake and this should be reason enough to stop the shouting and unify in the country's interest.

However I have my doubts, that the current leaders of whatever party are capable to do so. The things which are going on right look like a suicide of a country, which offers great opportunities and just wasting it's chances. Sad.

A nice assessment. National Unity government is probably the only way out right now but very fewe politicians even talk about it - Snoh only I think.

By the way TOC are reporting that the SET rose with no violence and rumours of an imminent house disolution. Liek you I cant see the benefit of yet another election right now, which probably means we will get one.

PM ready for a live address if PAD seizes Gov't House

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will appear on live broadcast to address the people if the People's Alliance for Democracy decides to raid Government House instead of laying seige this evening, People Power Party MP Jatuporn Prompan said on Friday.

Jatuporn did not elaborate on what Samak's reaction. Many speculate about a possibility for declaring an emergency to clear protesters out of the seat of the government.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

PM ready for a live address if PAD seizes Gov't House

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will appear on live broadcast to address the people if the People's Alliance for Democracy decides to raid Government House instead of laying seige this evening, People Power Party MP Jatuporn Prompan said on Friday.

Jatuporn did not elaborate on what Samak's reaction. Many speculate about a possibility for declaring an emergency to clear protesters out of the seat of the government.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

Chamlong said hours ago that they are not going to enter the house. We can speculate Samak and harder elecments of the PPP want a state of emergency although probably for different reasons.

Iirc all the talk of taking the house has come from the government side and Daad. The PAD has talked of surrounding it and holding a (long) rally there. As ever it is always intersting to watch how the media war is played by both sides.

PAD relocates stage from Makkhawan Bridge

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy Friday relocated its stages from the Makkhawan Bridge to the area in front of Government House.

The PAD started removing the stage at 4:01 pm.

About 1,000 police were also withdrawn from the bridge.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

OLD MAN RIVER you are right on the mark. Let the Democracy work. If they continue with coups and allow Democracy to fail again, they are regressing not progressing, albeit many Thais would be very happy to go backwards