Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it confirmed that Samak is IN the Government house ??

.....if yes, letz wait for the helicopter to bring him out, than it should be over :o

TOC said he was going to be doing something in Chachoengsao today.

TOC now reporting the police are sandwiched between two groups of PAD

Police took back, after Chamlong explained them that they don't have any chance.

Than Chamlong let the mob shout "Thank you police" for several minutes.

History shows when demonstrations of this kind build up as they seem to be inevitably there will be trouble. Despite the PAD saying it will be a peaceful march there will be those that want to cause trouble and once it starts the ending is always the same as the police have no choice but to do something. I hope it doesnt happen but that would contradict everything that has happened before.

Romania, If I remember right, they went into Parliament behead the Dictator and got democracy......

They did not behead the dictator in Romania - he and his wife were shot

Like it or not PPP won a democratic election - we can see that you would like violence to get your own way - that big a man in real life are we and are you prepared to behead the dictator yourself or are you a coward to sit on the sidelines egging others on?

Foreigners like you wanting to destroy democracy in Thailand if found out should be deported and all properties in the country confiscated and given to the crown!

If PAD want to remove the government maybe they should do it at the ballot box like civil members of a democratic society.

I may not like or agree with Samak et al but I would not condone viloence or a coup like small minded men

Breaking news:

Police cancel all blockades, PAD announces victory

BANGKOK: -- By 3 pm, the People's Alliance for Democracy announced its victory after police lifted all road blockades, allowing protesters to march to Government House.

Police stopped blocking protesters after a group of some 2,000 protesters managed to seize control of Phitsanulok near Government House.

-- The Nation 2008-06-20

TNN has news reports with pictures of the use of nails to stop PAD supporters getting to Bangkok along with pics of huge tailbacks at PAD supporters get turned around. From what is being shown the scale of the stop em getting to Bangkok far excedes anything done previously either by Thaksin or the Junta when I was a frequent traveller between the North and Bangkok. Luckily I dont have to travel today.

For those who don't know yet, you can get more or less "English live commentary coverage now on TOC"

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

Can't get the live broadcast to play. Anyone else?

- try another browser it may work then. If still not ok, try to surf with a proxy server.

Maybe your browser doesn't have the plug-in loaded (don't ask me which one, but months ago, it also didn't work here).

Anyone not able to see it, rapport your browser, location and OS, then other users, might can help.

- Must be amazing hot out there with the crowds and for some after 2 hours marching! Also for the police in full gear.

I think the police are with the people; against big scale corruption.

- Samak should call his proxy role an end, he would gain more points, going back to be a cooking TV chef.

As PM, he just looses face, big time. But we have one little, big problem here, Samak is apparantly still very deep

involved in the "fire truck scandal - still ongoing investigations"; and he said himself at the beginning

of his parlament PM time 4 months ago, that he want's all TRT=PPP=Thaksin-boys to help each other out on all ongoing corruption cases

(hence the constitution amendmend try, to let also Thaksin jump-ship once again any corruption court hearings etc.).

Guess a big reason why Thaksin choose him, for his proxy. You help me get out the court, I help you too.

Eye on Eye, but now Samak seams to be big time stuck outthere, that's why he doesn't want to take responsibility date so far.

Neither does the Interior Minister; Chalerm. Noone want's to be currently the black sheep, as deep down there, they know the

people are right in their cause.

Let's pray he (they) will not let his frustrations out on the demonstraters today, especially tonight, when it get's dark!

Also the pro-Thaksin, aggressive groups (1000+) out there, are to be watched closely and carefully.

- True we have over 100'000people on the streets now? Anyone got some figs?

Let's hope it remains peaceful!

For those who don't know yet, you can get more or less "English live commentary coverage now on TOC"

It was playing before, now stopped those, as with the other news sites as well!

Hope the Goverment are not blocking this :o

This started only this morning....

veohblockedcopy.jpg

History shows when demonstrations of this kind build up as they seem to be inevitably there will be trouble. Despite the PAD saying it will be a peaceful march there will be those that want to cause trouble and once it starts the ending is always the same as the police have no choice but to do something. I hope it doesnt happen but that would contradict everything that has happened before.

Romania, If I remember right, they went into Parliament behead the Dictator and got democracy......

Like it or not PPP won a democratic election - we can see that you would like violence to get your own way - that big a man in real life are we and are you prepared to behead the dictator yourself or are you a coward to sit on the sidelines egging others on?

Foreigners like you wanting to destroy democracy in Thailand if found out should be deported and all properties in the country confiscated and given to the crown!

If PAD want to remove the government maybe they should do it at the ballot box like civil members of a democratic society.

I may not like or agree with Samak et al but I would not condone viloence or a coup like small minded men

and again, they were not democratic elected.......

and again...Hitler was also democratic elected......

but that is discussed more then enough.

- try another browser it may work then. If still not ok, try to surf with a proxy server.

Maybe your browser doesn't have the plug-in loaded (don't ask me which one, but months ago, it also didn't work here).

Anyone not able to see it, rapport your browser, location and OS, then other users, might can help.

- Must be amazing hot out there with the crowds and for some after 2 hours marching! Also for the police in full gear.

I think the police are with the people; against big scale corruption.

- Samak should call his proxy role an end, he would gain more points, going back to be a cooking TV chef.

As PM, he just looses face, big time. But we have one little, big problem here, Samak is apparantly still very deep

involved in the "fire truck scandal - still ongoing investigations"; and he said himself at the beginning

of his parlament PM time 4 months ago, that he want's all TRT=PPP=Thaksin-boys to help each other out on all ongoing corruption cases

(hence the constitution amendmend try, to let also Thaksin jump-ship once again any corruption court hearings etc.).

Guess a big reason why Thaksin choose him, for his proxy. You help me get out the court, I help you too.

Eye on Eye, but now Samak seams to be big time stuck outthere, that's why he doesn't want to take responsibility date so far.

Neither does the Interior Minister; Chalerm. Noone want's to be currently the black sheep, as deep down there, they know the

people are right in their cause.

Let's pray he (they) will not let his frustrations out on the demonstraters today, especially tonight, when it get's dark!

Also the pro-Thaksin, aggressive groups (1000+) out there, are to be watched closely and carefully.

- True we have over 100'000people on the streets now? Anyone got some figs?

Let's hope it remains peaceful!

TOC stated they got that number (100K) from AP

It is pretty sad that a group of a few thousand undemocratic people (no election result that goes against them will ever be accepted) can hold a country hostage. They block roads, prevent people from reaching their work, they have been able to block the UN gates so help for Burma could not go out and today we have the march of the short fuses.

Even worse is that their leaders publicly stated that they prefer dictatorship above a democratically elected government. These are sick people, and the government should come down on them in full force. Everybody has the right to demonstrate, but Chamlong is a extortionist who is given to much freedom. First they let him paralize traffic and business near MKB center for months now they do not dare to exterminate him again. This probably due to the fact that he is backed by prem and friends. Luckily for us they are all old people, which will no longer be able to push their own agenda which held Thailand backwards for so long. I am neither a Abbhisit nor a Thaksin supporter, but any country from which the happy few are in the habbit not to accept a governement which has a 2/3 majority is in dire straits.

Investors will run for cover and they will end up next door in Cambodia or Malaysia and rightly so.

It was playing before, now stopped those, as with the other news sites as well!

Hope the Goverment are not blocking this :o

This started only this morning....

veohblockedcopy.jpg

on buddy it works, but buddy technical staff are complete idiots they might won't be able to figure out to block something....

Change provider.

What is the actual point of this protest? Do the PAD seriously think that the Government will step down or are they hoping for another coup?

I guess they hope Samak resigns and the coallition party's jump-ship's (Banharn raised a similar opinion last week, so did Chavilit today)

to the opposition: The Democrats. I'm sure everyone agrees that a further coup is a big waste of time and no-one will gain anything (we just loose another

2-3 years and Thaksin's pro and the western world will not accept any court-ruling under military rule, even if correctly and fair done).

We need an honest party (the best honest party) with intelligent people on the top, working for the country, not for themselves, or any Puppet-Master.

Currently only K. Korn, K'Abhisit etc. would be able to guide Thailand out of this mess, in a policital correct democratic way!

Maybe this will happen soon, thanks to the PAD, who are not giving up for the right of "oppression against big time corruptions & cheatings".

Think mid-to longterm, not only see the people on the streets as the reason for economical depression. This vision is short-shighted and

the fact, what is going on already since 2001/2 when Thaksin took over, and removed most governmental check & balances and started

robbing this country, in big scale (and still is doing with tax-payers money).

I think this is a very strange situation. Who is responsible? The entire Thai political system. I wonder whether there is any way out!

It might be that the Thai society is not yet mature enough for a real democracy. I do not intend to offend Thai people in saying this, but the way the country is going now doesn't do good for anyone....

It is pretty sad that a group of a few thousand undemocratic people (no election result that goes against them will ever be accepted) can hold a country hostage. They block roads, prevent people from reaching their work, they have been able to block the UN gates so help for Burma could not go out and today we have the march of the short fuses.

Even worse is that their leaders publicly stated that they prefer dictatorship above a democratically elected government. These are sick people, and the government should come down on them in full force. Everybody has the right to demonstrate, but Chamlong is a extortionist who is given to much freedom. First they let him paralize traffic and business near MKB center for months now they do not dare to exterminate him again. This probably due to the fact that he is backed by prem and friends. Luckily for us they are all old people, which will no longer be able to push their own agenda which held Thailand backwards for so long. I am neither a Abbhisit nor a Thaksin supporter, but any country from which the happy few are in the habbit not to accept a governement which has a 2/3 majority is in dire straits.

Investors will run for cover and they will end up next door in Cambodia or Malaysia and rightly so.

block the UN gates so help for Burma could not go out :o:D

Demonstrations are part of any democratic society. Mostly governments negotiate with them or ignore them. Some governments or ministers fall becuase of them. It is just democracy in action as long as they stay peaceful and Chamlong has today reiterated that they will use civil disobedience which is not violent.

We should also hope that the Daad also stick to these principles.

I think this is a very strange situation. Who is responsible? The entire Thai political system. I wonder whether there is any way out!

It might be that the Thai society is not yet mature enough for a real democracy. I do not intend to offend Thai people in saying this, but the way the country is going now doesn't do good for anyone....

i agree with you on this one....

Demonstrations are part of any democratic society. Mostly governments negotiate with them or ignore them. Some governments or ministers fall becuase of them. It is just democracy in action as long as they stay peaceful and Chamlong has today reiterated that they will use civil disobedience which is not violent.

What was the estimated turn out for the DAAD? 500? Small blip on the radar by the sounds of it.

Of course, there could be an active, last minute recruitment effort going on in the sticks, or maybe the cost of hiring these "protesters" is starting to take its toll?

When you remember Thaksin was the first democratically elected PM ever to serve a full term... Ever !!! In the entire course of Thailands history..

As simple a thing as voting in a government, letting them serve thier term.. then voting again for the next lot based on their performance.. Has happened once..

Its just us new arrivals who see this as a circus... this is normal Thai politics.

What was the estimated turn out for the DAAD? 500? Small blip on the radar by the sounds of it.

Of course, there could be an active, last minute recruitment effort going on in the sticks, or maybe the cost of hiring these "protesters" is starting to take its toll?

I noticed no shortage of motorbike taxi's working today. :o

Wish I was there

Why do you not go along instead of being a keyboard hero - still time big man - go show you have a pair!

I've got a trip to Laksi, then get kids from school, then offload them to their mother.

Last time I almost made it (the crackdown Saturday), unfortunately Chalerm showed up on TV and pooped the party.

>>>

Samak can very well resign without any major repercussions. Someone else will be elected from among the House members. As long as the House is not dissolved, "people" have nothing to complain about - their election job ended at ticking their local and party list MPs. Prime Minister selection is responsibility of the parlament, even forming government and opposition blocks is out of people's hands. They can only complain if the party of their choice is dissolved, leaving them without representation.

I don't see any other reason to speak of PAD "overturning of the elections" - they can legitimately persuade some political parties to change alliances.

And PAD hasn't done anything wrong if you accept that citizens participation in democracy spread way beyond the election day.

Either way - PAD is not a threat to democracy the same way a coup is.

Well it seems that we have got through the surround of government house without violence and lets hope it stays that way.

After this it is time for talk. There has to be an agreement on a way out of the impasse that isnt about personal agendas.

Please explain how they were not elected properly then formed a coalition government?

You really are clutching as very shakey intellectual straws with puny arguments

Forget all that though - show your cojones and get doen there man and fight for what you belive in -are you a man or a mouse?

Do something for once in your life - get out there

Guess not!

Well it seems that we have got through the surround of government house without violence and lets hope it stays that way.

After this it is time for talk. There has to be an agreement on a way out of the impasse that isnt about personal agendas.

Another election - and what will the result of that be

Maybe the Democrats win - will that allow the people off the north and north east to demand their resignation because they do not like them even if they are in the minority or is it just Bangkok that counts in protests?

Then again who could afford to fight election after election - it might end up like American politics ;-)

Edited by Prakanong

Please explain how they were not elected properly then formed a coalition government?

You really are clutching as very shakey intellectual straws with puny arguments

Forget all that though - show your cojones and get doen there man and fight for what you belive in -are you a man or a mouse?

Do something for once in your life - get out there

Guess not!

It really isnt the role of foreigners to get invovled in Thai politcs. Discussing it may be something some enjoym, and why not, but to get directly involvved is wrong imho