Internet Security Compromised?

jitagon

Have just had a mail from a relative in the UK in my yahoo account to tell me that they are able to read my all of my mail from my personal inbox citing a forwarded 'funny' attachment FROM the UK, via a friend in Thailand (I know, it gets complicated ...) as being the culprit. My first thought was a keylogger. I ran spybot and just had the usual three or four statclicks etc and cleaned them. I contacted the friend in Thailand and advised of the problem, but he had had no notification of any such invasion of privacy. Anyone knows what's going on here? This is extremely worrying. The relative was a recipient on a google.mail address. Any ideas? Paranoid about sending anything to anyone now :o

I hope you immediately changed your password for that email account. Did you?

--

Maestro

What's the point of changing my password? No one knows it but me. I've never given it out (what for?), and from what I've read re, apparently illegal yet easily downloadable for a fee, keylogging software, it doesn't make a jot of difference whether the potential 'spy' knows your password, they can access any email account simply by sending an email they are pretty much sure you will open. Hence all the 'URGENT RESPONSE NEEDED' etc crap, email headers from people you don't know who appear from time to time in your inbox and which you should NEVER EVER open :o But this particular mail came via a friend in LOS from another friend in the UK and forwarded to said relative back in to the UK :D .

Guest Reimar

--

Maestro

What's the point of changing my password? No one knows it but me. I've never given it out (what for?), and from what I've read re, apparently illegal yet easily downloadable for a fee, keylogging software, it doesn't make a jot of difference whether the potential 'spy' knows your password, they can access any email account simply by sending an email they are pretty much sure you will open. Hence all the 'URGENT RESPONSE NEEDED' etc crap, email headers from people you don't know who appear from time to time in your inbox and which you should NEVER EVER open :o But this particular mail came via a friend in LOS from another friend in the UK and forwarded to said relative back in to the UK :D .

If you don't see the point why you should change the password to first, than you may don't need help!

Seems to be that you think that you know enough, so go ahead and help yourself!

May sometimes you start to think a bit more logical and than maybe you would ask yourself: "how they can access my e-mail without my password? They can't, they need to know my password?!"

Talking about keyloggers and write that you never gave out your password! Why you should if they use Keyloggers?!

My dear friend, there two solutions: 1. you're in the sh*t and maybe really need help or 2.: You're an Troll!

So who are you?

Cheers.

--

Maestro

If you don't see the point why you should change the password to first, than you may don't need help!

Seems to be that you think that you know enough, so go ahead and help yourself!

May sometimes you start to think a bit more logical and than maybe you would ask yourself: "how they can access my e-mail without my password? They can't, they need to know my password?!"

Talking about keyloggers and write that you never gave out your password! Why you should if they use Keyloggers?!

My dear friend, there two solutions: 1. you're in the sh*t and maybe really need help or 2.: You're an Troll!

So who are you?

Cheers.

There's absolutely no need for that tone! I am not in shit as you put it, neither do I need help or am a troll. Have you taken the trouble to google 'Keylogger'? No didn't think so. It's small wonder internet scamming is big business when there seem to be so many like your self either too lazy or arrogant to bother to find out what kind of software there is out there now, easily obtainable, which can compromise your internet security.

I usually find excellent advice on this forum but you have proved to be the exception to the rule. And you are not 'my friend'.

Go easy Reimar. It is very easy to "break" anyones email password, there are several pieces of downloadable software that can do just that in no time at all.

A couple of years ago my business email was targetted and a virus went into Microsoft Office and sent out my cashflow forecast to all in my inbox - customers, competition, wholesalers! absolute nightmare! :o

Go easy Reimar. It is very easy to "break" anyones email password, there are several pieces of downloadable software that can do just that in no time at all.

A couple of years ago my business email was targetted and a virus went into Microsoft Office and sent out my cashflow forecast to all in my inbox - customers, competition, wholesalers! absolute nightmare! :o

Believe that was the whole point of Reimars post - but the OP refuses to change his password or believe it could be the problem. Actually I have not seen any proof that anyone had actually read anything - only the recent of an email saying that they could so there could be a lot more details provided - but poster is only keying in on a key logger (which would also have to have a reporting function and why to his friend who is going to tell him about it?).

Maybe they are try to say they get a copy of everything you send to anyone.  Why would they log into your mail account?  Check the mail list permissions and make sure your not broadcasting everything you send to all your contacts.

Have just had a mail from a relative in the UK in my yahoo account to tell me that they are able to read my all of my mail from my personal inbox citing a forwarded 'funny' attachment FROM the UK, via a friend in Thailand (I know, it gets complicated ...) as being the culprit.

Huh? If you clear this up maybe we can help you better.

Was your email account password sent to this relative via an email from your email account?

If not, how did this relative receive your password?

OR

Are emails being forwarded from your personal account to this relative?

The way you have this worded it's hard to tell exactly what is happening here.

And your understanding that keyloggers can be sent via email and install without any user interaction, without even opening the email, from a yahoo online account is not correct.. While your slagging others for ignorance your the one that doesnt fully understand the issue.

I strongly suspect you have got the wrong end of some stick.. If the 'friend' claims to have read your emails.. the 'friend' will no doubt clarify for you HOW they gained access to your account..

The first thing to do is use a secure uncompromised computer to change your passwords.

I know a couple of people who had their hotmail/yahoo accounts broken into and then used to distribute 'please send me money I'm travelling and got stuck somewhere' emails to all their friends. Basically they had weak passwords and there are people out there trying to brute force accounts. On several other occasions I know people who used the same password across several sites. Their password fell into the hands of someone who didn't like them and was used to access other facilities.

I guess its possible you have a keylogger but it is much more likely you just have a password problem. Change it to something nasty.

Speaking from experience, some advanced keyloggers are not currently detected by antivirus/antispyware. For example, the latest version of eBlaster, available from www.spectorsoft.com is not currently detectable by Norton, Kaspersky or AVG. If you are infected with such a trojan, you may never know it.

The default hotkey to open this particular application is CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+T. You might like to try it and see if you get the program's password prompt. Of course, if the application has been remotely deployed, it is possible the installer changed the hotkey altogether. In that case, the only way to be sure your system is clean is to do a format/full-reinstall.

Guest Reimar

Normally I shouldn't answer any more in this thread but..........................

From my point of view it's pure arrogance to reject the answer from someone who tries to help. Somewhere help has to start and about the nature of the help the OP was asking for, was need to start with a simple question as Meastro was doing.

That was the point of my answer, to get the OP to think again, which he didn't if I interpret his answer well.

There's absolutely no need for that tone! I am not in shit as you put it, neither do I need help or am a troll. Have you taken the trouble to google 'Keylogger'? No didn't think so. It's small wonder internet scamming is big business when there seem to be so many like your self either too lazy or arrogant to bother to find out what kind of software there is out there now, easily obtainable, which can compromise your internet security.

Maybe the OP know more than me, who knows?! Maybe the OP post just for "fun" here because he think he isn't in the sh*t as someone compromised his security (which one by the way?) who knows that?!

There many questions like that if you start to think logically!

But one thing is for sure: Everyone is in the sh*t, to tell with this word, if his security is compromised! And not to start to do essential changes, starting with changing of Password (all) is not arrogant only but ignorant in the real meaning of that word.

I work a few years, just a bit more than the half time of my life, with computer and in this business as well and I maybe don't know anything, special about security?!

Cheers.